Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 04-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Seeing how this winch came with the AEV conversion I am not the original purchaser and would have to get AEV to warranty said winch. I have ordered a synthetic rope from a local manufacturer and will report on it after i get and use it. Assuming I either fix the shitty built Warn or get it swapped.
Thanks for the info.
Unread 04-03-2017, 08:46 AM

i can tell you from experience Warn has excellent customer service. Every time I have called them a real person answered the phone.
Unread 04-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seeing how this winch came with the AEV conversion I am not the original purchaser and would have to get AEV to warranty said winch. I have ordered a synthetic rope from a local manufacturer and will report on it after i get and use it. Assuming I either fix the shitty built Warn or get it swapped.
Thanks for the info.
Definitely give Warn a call. They would be the ones handling the warranty since they are the manufacturer. They will most likely just need proof of purchase which you could use your window sticker. If you have any issues trying to process the warranty through Warn, don't hesitate to email us. Cory would be the person to talk to and he can be reached at 248-926-0256 ext 234 or crider@aev-conversions.com.
cholt@aev-conversions.com
Unread 04-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
No, you would be the original purchaser. AEV would just be a reseller unless you bought the truck as a used AEV demo unit. Call Warn customer service and tell them that you want to exchange your faulty winch. Tell them that it is an essential piece of self-recovery equipment and that you paid a premium for the Warn brand so that you can depend on it to work as advertised when your life may depend on it. You can also site the cost and effort required just to swap the winch which has failed due to no action or inaction on your part.

Warn will most likely prefer to just send you a new part or give you instructions to rebuild the gear housing but that will take even more of your time and may not remedy the root problem, whatever that is which is resulting in your free spool problem. Warn is fortunate that the vast majority of people who buy their products are very handy mechanically.

Even if you had bought the truck used they would still probably replace the winch.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 04-04-2017, 08:24 PM

Here is the conclusion. Winch is VERY heavy. Could not get wiring undone at winch to completely remove it. Had to set it on my creeper seat and sit on ground in front of truck. Removed planetary end cover from unit. There was a machining burr on one of the 3 spacer/ glides and this was caught in lever area. Once I figure out how to post photos on this I will, Have some good clear shots. Sure would be nice to be able to have a electrical disconnect for the winch. Think I will install one of those two piece connectors that warn makes. Doing a trail fix without being able to get it up on the tailgate would suck. One thing i found very disconcerting was that whenever i have used winch in past it makes a lot of noise, like an old craftsman drill with a 3" self feed bit. When i reinstalled one of the bottom bolts would not line up with bumper holes. Installed other 5, winch is much quieter now. Maybe out of alignment with all 6 bolts.
Unread 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Oh forgot to say my new rope came in today but UPS pulled in just as i was closing the hood. Hot sweaty and ready to go home. Install it tomorrow.
Unread 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Default winch problems

Careful, you probably know, but those of us that did the install on our own know there are two spacers used to get the 16.5 in the bumper. They are basically a thick washer.

You got the winch out without removing bumper? Damn son! (Never would have happened with a CTD truck.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100
Unread 04-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Late night long day and I wasnt going to let it beat me. Yes on the washers. A plate tack welded inside of bumper instead of the washer would be great. I guess there is one benefit of the 6.4. I cant imagine doing this with an inter cooler right behind it. Wound my new line this morning. took some to get it to catch on the drum but it looks great in there. Had Jim at Bubba rope make it. 1/2" ( more like 3/4") safety red with the integrated eye. Also a 80' extention line eye each end and two gator jaw's. Nice stuff. Test it in WV in a couple weeks.
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Late night long day and I wasnt going to let it beat me. Yes on the washers. A plate tack welded inside of bumper instead of the washer would be great. I guess there is one benefit of the 6.4. I cant imagine doing this with an inter cooler right behind it. Wound my new line this morning. took some to get it to catch on the drum but it looks great in there. Had Jim at Bubba rope make it. 1/2" ( more like 3/4") safety red with the integrated eye. Also a 80' extention line eye each end and two gator jaw's. Nice stuff. Test it in WV in a couple weeks.
What winch rope did you end up with? The ones on his website say they're rated for 9-10k winches.

You have a 16.5Ti right? Does he offer different rope for the heavier duty winches?
Unread 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM

I called and talked with James Flowers, he owns bubba rope, He had built this rope as a prototype for a show. 31K breaking. He can build any size, any color, any length.
Jim 321 397 2372