Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 12-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Drivetrain America says the have confirmation directly from Eaton that the TrueTrac (and therefore the AAM stock unit) does work in reverse.

Now it's just a question if I want the TrueTrac with a higher bias or the OEM with the lower ratio.
Unread 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM

Default against the fold

I am going to go against the fold on this one. All of my previous serious off roading vehicles have been locked up. (FZJ80 landcruiser, Tacoma, tundra, f250 highboy). I swore by them. Any time I got stuck, I just flipped a switch and went on my way.

However, I really feel like the LSD in this RAM works damn near as well. I have buried this truck in mud, had two tires off the ground going up steep terrain with 1-2' ledges in front of me and this truck just keeps going.

Just this morning, I buried my self in a wind blown snow bank that covered my front bumper, got caught in 2nd gear (manual trans) bogged down and was pretty well plugged up in there. This snow bank was comprised of what we call "sugar snow" dry as hell, cold as hell, and 0 traction. Well about 3 minutes of smashing back and forth and out I came. I did discourage about 4 other drivers from attempting the snow bank as they watched me bash through it. During this episode, I frequently checked my tires and indeed all 4 were spinning very consistently. The LSD in my truck (and my last 14' 3500) work very well. I just don't see the value in lockers for this rig.

I am sure I am going to eat my words on this matter someday when I am all by myself, 300' from a tree and freezing cold, far, far from any other idiots with a tow strap, but for now..... this LSD kicks ass.
Unread 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

That is great info on the LSD.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Truetrac or the OEM LSD for the rear. Just trying to decide which as the bias is a bit more agressive on the TT.
Unread 12-19-2016, 03:56 PM

I was pretty happy with the lsd on my truck, i wasnt real happy with the open front. When I re-geared I threw in lockers as well, since it was all open. That said I use my rear locker a couple times a week (I'm a contractor and work in muddy, slick, areas) front, i've only used half a dozen times or so, not even sure I needed to in those situations, but I did anyway. All that said, I love knowing that I can lock the front and rear independently. I also installed the 2wd low kit from bd diesel. it's awesome being able to back a trailer up a hill in 2low, then locking the rear diff for a second if you need too. Before I had my current truck I had an older ram 3500 with lsd, had about 230k miles on it and the lsd was real loose, as it was worn out. From my understanding you can replace certain components in the diff to make it work properly again.
I think in very low traction surfaces like snow, ice, and mud, you can get all 4 wheels to turn, but if a wheel is actually off the ground, or has very little traction, you are better off with some kind of locker, as the lsd isn't tight enough to engage that wheel. (in my experience anyway)
Unread 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM

A LSD is not an equivalent for a locking differential. A Ram with LSD is 2.5 wheel drive. A Ram with lockers is 4 wheel drive.

Power Wagon has both - LSD and locker. There is a large difference in 4LO between the LSD and Locked rear axle.

People have this argument regarding the JK all of the time. If you get a sport you can get the 3.73 ratio and limited slip which works in 4HI. With the Rubicon you get the 4.10 ratio and Lockers front and rear but the lockers only work in low range. This doesn't really apply to this discussion because you can run the ARB lockers whenever you want which means 2Hi with rear locked or 4Hi with rear locked. Either of which you could do at highway speeds. And if you have a Power Wagon it has both the lockers and LSD.

One-wheel drive - A FWD, RWD, or AWD vehicle with a drivetrain such that if you lift one wheel off the ground the vehicle cannot move.

1.5-wheel drive - A Vehicle with a drivetrain such that if you lift one wheel off the ground the vehicle will move but only after a reactionary traction device has kicked in (Traction control, lsd, etc.)

2-wheel drive - A vehicle with a drive train such that if you lift two wheels off the ground the vehicle will not move.

2.5-wheel drive - A Vehicle with a drivetrain such that if you lift two wheels off the ground the vehicle will move but only after a reactionary traction device has kicked in (Traction control, lsd, etc.)

3-wheel drive - A vehicle with a drive train such that if you lift three wheels off the ground the vehicle will not move. This would be something like locking center and rear differential.

3.5-wheel drive - A Vehicle with a drivetrain such that if you lift three wheels off the ground the vehicle will move but only after a reactionary traction device has kicked in (Traction control, lsd, etc.)

4-wheel drive - A vehicle capable of proactively distributing all available torque to a single wheel. Very few vehicles are actually 4 wheel drive. Jeep Rubicon, Power Wagon, G-Wagon, Unimog, certain Land Cruisers. You could try and argue that a Ford Raptor with a locking rear differential and a Torsen front differential is 4 wheel drive, but I would call it 3.75-wheel drive.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 12-20-2016, 07:51 AM

I am still waiting for someone to swap Power Wagon axles in an AEV diesel Ram. 4.10 gearing would be good for 40s and you get the LSD and Lockers.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Unread 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
I am still waiting for someone to swap Power Wagon axles in an AEV diesel Ram. 4.10 gearing would be good for 40s and you get the LSD and Lockers.
Agree that the locker/LSD combo in the AAM11.5 of the Power Wagon seems to be the holy grail. The price is the big drawback. I have been watching the wrecking yard sites to see if any axles are avail at a decent price but no joy so far.

I also have concerns about the durability of the e-locker. The reviews seem mixed from the Power Wagon folks.
Unread 12-20-2016, 10:26 AM

Or you could put the TracRite GTL in there. The PW has the TracRite EL in the front and the TracRite GTL in the rear.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Unread 12-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
Or you could put the TracRite GTL in there. The PW has the TracRite EL in the front and the TracRite GTL in the rear.
N/A for the aftermarket for the 11.5 version. Only source I have found is MOPAR and its $$$.
Unread 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM

So has anyone tried it or can confirm the Power Wagon rear locker works on the Cummins trucks?

I have an ARB in the front and was going to go with an ARB in the rear as well, but then on pavement I