Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVRAM3500 View Post
So has anyone tried it or can confirm the Power Wagon rear locker works on the Cummins trucks?

I have an ARB in the front and was going to go with an ARB in the rear as well, but then on pavement I
I believe someone on the ram forum successfully performed the swap. However, my memory may be flawed or it was on a different generation (read not G4).

I'm searching now.

Looks like that was a full axle swap on a 2005.

A quick google search finds AAM 11.5 elockers are available.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aam+...lectric+locker

Last edited by socaladam; 02-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Unread 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Love ARB air lockers. I have them on everything. The Yukon Zip locker is based off of the previous style ARB that the Patent went out on when ARB came out with the new style. Something to think about with the twin air being mounted in a confined space, they put out a lot of heat especially when they are used continuously to say air up a set of 40's. And on the tire pressure side of things watching the bulge on the tire I find to be better then watching the pressure. 60psi is still really high, in the snow wheeling with beadlocks I've run as low as 4psi. Without beadlocks 15 psi is the lowest I will go and that number changes based on tire size due to sidewall deflection. I've noticed drastic changes in traction in as little as a 3 psi difference. Just my .02I feel with trucks this size lockers and a 16.5 winch are in that better to have and not need then need and not have. When these big fellas get stuck it is usually a doozey without the proper gear.
Unread 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaladam View Post
A quick google search finds AAM 11.5 elockers are available.
The TracRite GTL for the AAM 11.5 does exist but I have yet to find a source other than ordering from a dealer or salvage from a Power Wagon.

I am also unsure on durability of the elocker vs ARB. Have seen mixed reviews. Also read some negative feedback about the time required to lock up with the elocker.

I am leaning more towards putting a Truetrac in the rear and eventually an ARB in the front.
Unread 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM

It also sounds like there is a lot of added cost racking up here that negates any savings over just buying a known item that works like an ARB or less expensive Zip locker. Or heck put a Detroit in the rear you'll just have to understand that it will make some noise and your savings will be not purchasing an air compressor and locker manifold.
Unread 02-20-2017, 11:30 PM

So how do you feel about driving the truck on pavement without a LSD? Of course the ARBs are awesome, I have on in the front of the RAM and my Chevy has front and rear ARBs. I just noticed with the RAM on wet or snowy pavement, it tends to spin the tires very easy. The LSD helps with that for every day use.
Unread 02-22-2017, 11:34 AM

I like having the open diff in the rear on pavement in the snow and ice, when it is locked it comes around, same with the LSD then the fun police show up and make you feel like you just learned how to drive. Life would be so much more fun with a ProCal that would let you shut down the traction and stability control. I would personally sign a waiver, hint hint Dave!!
Unread 02-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Power Products View Post
I like having the open diff in the rear on pavement in the snow and ice, when it is locked it comes around, same with the LSD then the fun police show up and make you feel like you just learned how to drive. Life would be so much more fun with a ProCal that would let you shut down the traction and stability control. I would personally sign a waiver, hint hint Dave!!
So you are not missing the added traction from the LSD on the pavement?
Unread 02-23-2017, 09:40 AM

My main reason for wanting a LSD in the rear diff is for traction on snowy/icy roads. Tired of being a peg leg. Been thinking of going with the lower bias AAM LSD vs TruTrac to try to mitigate some of the bad behavior of a LSD.

Think locking and unlocking the diff around town would get old fast.
Unread 02-24-2017, 04:55 PM

How am I missing traction on pavement? If I'm on pavement I've got plenty of traction on 40's on the pavement.
Unread 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Power Products View Post
How am I missing traction on pavement? If I'm on pavement I've got plenty of traction on 40's on the pavement.
Mere mortals have to rely on traction assistance devices.