Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-24-2016, 05:43 AM

Flush mounted or frenched LED back-up lights would be a great option. Integrated winch option perhaps??

Cheers
Unread 02-24-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru-bicon View Post
Flush mounted or frenched LED back-up lights would be a great option. Integrated winch option perhaps??

Cheers
i couldn't agree more the more integrated the better flush mount led floods out back and a rear winch is a must with a truck thats as tricky to turn around as these big ol rams. learned this the hard way with my power wagon a few times.
Unread 02-25-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i couldn't agree more the more integrated the better flush mount led floods out back and a rear winch is a must with a truck thats as tricky to turn around as these big ol rams. learned this the hard way with my power wagon a few times.
Putting a winch out back would be too much I think. The better option would be to get one of those hitch mounted winch kits, but thats just my opinion.
Unread 02-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
Putting a winch out back would be too much I think. The better option would be to get one of those hitch mounted winch kits, but thats just my opinion.
I've actually given some thought to the back winch, and in theory if the spare tire is mounted to the bumper, then the spare tire location might make a good spot for a rear mounted winch. I'm sure there would have to be some tweaking, but in theory it should work.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires
Unread 02-25-2016, 07:47 AM

rear winches are usually more useful from a recovery standpoint there are ways around it sort of but imo there is no real easy way to duplicate what a rear winch set up can provide you if you are stuck. its a big expense and i have no idea what it would mean from a designing or engineering stand point.

the size width and weight of these trucks can offer up some tricky recovery situations on tighter trails depending on the terrain ahead of you so having a rear winch could be a very good thing. also having a rear winch on a big mid duty truck like this offers up some nice capability as far as working is concerned just my .02 i for one hope mr. dave is taking that into consideration when designing that rear bumper.
Unread 02-25-2016, 08:02 AM

furthermore these trucks built by aev are intended to be used as overland haulers and made to go into the messy stuff that would stop most every other vehicle of its type and capability really. it sounds like a good idea to me as thats what we intend to use our truck for.
Unread 02-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Well perhaps they will offer a modular design some what like the front bumper where the end user can add or delete accessories as they see fit.
Unread 02-25-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I've actually given some thought to the back winch, and in theory if the spare tire is mounted to the bumper, then the spare tire location might make a good spot for a rear mounted winch. I'm sure there would have to be some tweaking, but in theory it should work.
With regards to a rear winch, the factory Power Wagon winch and winch mount/fairlead can be inverted and located between the frame rails in the spare tire location providing a recessed and optimal winch location. This requires adapter plates as the frame is wider in the rear and the mounting holes are different, among other differences. The Power Wagon winch spools in the opposite direction of a standard winch which is required if you want the winch to tuck up under the truck and it also has an extended free spool handle in a nearly optimal position. Furthermore, it is an OEM ram part and if you are putting an AEV bumper on your Power Wagon you can relocate your factory winch to the rear and add a 16.5ti to the front. You would probably want to use a wireless winch controller for the rear winch.

There are many other advantages of this type of setup. To be frank, I am surprised AEV has not done this already.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Last edited by RF2200; 02-26-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Unread 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
I"m 100% for a winch in the back.

Hitch mounted winch means too much overhang, departure angle is screwed. And if its in the bed, its one more thing I have the lash down to keep people from stealing.

Others in the industry offer it, just not on the new gen rams. I'll take a rear winch over a tire carrier at this point.

Building a tire carrier that allows the tailgate to come down while towing (ie 1/2 swing carrier not full across the rear) is going to be hard to do. And your trucks not going to fit in the typical garage (i dont care about that).

On the other hand a mount that works behind the drivers side passenger seat might work better and design quicker...

2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-25-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Unread 02-25-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapitihunter View Post
I"m 100% for a winch in the back.

Hitch mounted winch means too much overhang, departure angle is screwed. And if its in the bed, its one more thing I have the lash down to keep people from stealing.
here's how i attached it in the bed when not in use.

mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch-bed.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	17535  Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch-hitch.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	17536