Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msch2112 View Post
here's how i attached it in the bed when not in use.

mike
SLICK! Just about could winch an elk in there! also keeps the solenoids from getting soaked in mud / grime / salt. My brother in law has his mounted above his cab on his power wagon.

I've looked at similar setups before. Seems like most are rated for 8klbs, which might be all you need if your pulling backwards...

Local fish and game have small winches mounted on their headache racks.

edit: warn's is good for 10,000lbs, looks like about 100lbs with a VR10000...spare tire is not much less than that....not fun to wrestle with in the mud (either of them)
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-25-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Unread 02-26-2016, 09:17 AM

A mechanical winch would probably do the trick with loading game. I get the idea with having a hitch mounted winch but there are many drawbacks to that setup. Mainly, to me, is picking up carrying around an awkward 100 pound winch setup to put in your receiver hitch when your truck is stuck. On top of that you are probably in less than ideal weather conditions if you are stuck, slippery, wet, dark, cold, etc. and the truck may not be level or stable or may be in such a position that you cannot get the winch in the receiver. If you are proactive and install the winch prior to becoming stuck then you decrease your departure angle and no longer have use of your hitch as a recovery point. It is also easier to steal.

I 100% agree that a hitch mounted winch is better than nothing. However, if I were going to use a receiver mounted winch I would go with something like the Warn ProVantage 4500-s. At only 15.6 pounds it is much more manageable than an 80 pound 8K winch. Most of the time 4,500 pounds of force is all you will need. If you need more you can do a double or triple line pull. It is also less expensive than the bigger winches.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 02-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
A mechanical winch would probably do the trick with loading game. I get the idea with having a hitch mounted winch but there are many drawbacks to that setup. Mainly, to me, is picking up carrying around an awkward 100 pound winch setup to put in your receiver hitch when your truck is stuck. On top of that you are probably in less than ideal weather conditions if you are stuck, slippery, wet, dark, cold, etc. and the truck may not be level or stable or may be in such a position that you cannot get the winch in the receiver. If you are proactive and install the winch prior to becoming stuck then you decrease your departure angle and no longer have use of your hitch as a recovery point. It is also easier to steal.

I 100% agree that a hitch mounted winch is better than nothing. However, if I were going to use a receiver mounted winch I would go with something like the Warn ProVantage 4500-s. At only 15.6 pounds it is much more manageable than an 80 pound 8K winch. Most of the time 4,500 pounds of force is all you will need. If you need more you can do a double or triple line pull. It is also less expensive than the bigger winches.
I'm still in the bumpre mounted hitch camp.

My animals come out on my back, in a pack....truck is just a means to get to a trail head. I am going to check out that Warn ProVantage just for kicks.
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100
Unread 03-01-2016, 06:36 AM

I think the flush mounted LED lights would be great. I don't know if I would want them integrated with reverse. There are lots of times I am doing work around the back of the truck and the truck parked. Having a dash switch would let you use them whenever you needed and not just when in reverse.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Unread 03-01-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
I think the flush mounted LED lights would be great. I don't know if I would want them integrated with reverse. There are lots of times I am doing work around the back of the truck and the truck parked. Having a dash switch would let you use them whenever you needed and not just when in reverse.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
There are ways to wire them so they not only power up in reverse but also when you want them too.
Unread 03-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
There are ways to wire them so they not only power up in reverse but also when you want them too.
Well sign me up for that option!
Unread 03-02-2016, 08:09 PM

http://www.otrattw.net/V-SERIES-SEAL...KER-V6D1D.html

Single Pole Double Throw, SPDT, ought to it
Unread 04-13-2016, 10:14 PM

I would like to see a spare tire carrier and I would like high lift jack mounts,like ARB has on their front bumper.
Unread 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM

Something similar to this would be amazing. Also a rack that is capable of adding a tent like this would be ideal since it would also allow access to the ram boxes if you have them.

Unread 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
Something similar to this would be amazing. Also a rack that is capable of adding a tent like this would be ideal since it would also allow access to the ram boxes if you have them.

Any idea who makes that rear bumper, it's pretty much perfect!
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires