Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Hi Dave,

This is going to be fun to watch.

I'm going to put an XPCamper on my RAM 3500 Prospector. I went with 37's though since 40's weren't offered when I ordered the AEV and I'm concerned about the rear wheels. I don't what to have to move the flatbed up. Went with the crew cab to have room for our dog and perhaps a 2nd dog down the line sometime.

My 3500 should be at AEV soon! (if it isn't already, last status was that it was in the states and shipping to AEV)

Can I order the lockers yet?

-Rick
Unread 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Administrator

The XP's GXVs, Bliss Mobils are all super nice. Can't get over some of them, but frankly for me, they are all almost too nice and the cost is pretty up there compared to what I have in mind. I think the XP was 75-90K which isn't too bad really for a molded camper, the Bliss is about 160K for the 13' box not including truck...and I'm not sure what the GXVs are but I'd guess with the truck you are in the 200+ range. New ER's are 500k. I'm probably nuts and it will cost me the same that I could just have it built for and I should probably know better to just have it built for me and do what I do...oh well, someday I'll learn.

At this point I've been through every possible construction method, foam laminates, honeycombs, molded GRP and more. I'm just going simple and easy to change for mine since I know I'll be changing it. I hardly every nail a homerun the first try. Going with steel frame, fiberglass, wood and foam sheet insulation. Not unlike a small (waterproof) house I guess. I could see after building several or if you were in the business how the GRP/Foam laminates would greatly accelerate the build process and have a lot of advantages from strength/weight/thermal aspects, but for now I just want it to be changeable as I use it and learn what works.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 02-29-2016, 03:29 PM

I am looking forward to the direction of this build. I know that for what you were describing in 2011ish that you were wanting to do I don't think that any of the off the shelf ones that I have seen so far would be quite what you are looking for. Closest idea wise at least are the four wheel campers, but those keep the bed, and don't have some of the things you were looking for.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 02-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Will your new truck, in its "naked" form, be joining you in Moab? Id love to see it in person at EJS.
Unread 02-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Don't count on Adak Trailers. Per their website their having a problem acquiring panels they need to build their RV's. I emailed them a while back, as this a trailer is one I would love to have. They indicated it doesn't look good that they'll be able to find another vendor for their body panels and stay in business.

http://www.adaktrailers.com

I saw the Adak Trailer at a hunting & fishing expo; they are amazing.
Unread 02-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Wasn't planning on bringing it to Moab since its really not the right show. I will have the 14 SEMA traybed which is for all intents, the same truck only 20" shorter wheelbase.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM

Yea... But I saw that one last year

Back to the build thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-02-2016, 07:26 AM

hey myself and 6 other rigs are leaving for Moab tomorrow I can drive it down for you LOL.
Unread 03-02-2016, 06:55 PM

Default Camper ideas

Check out VMI offroad in Washington State
http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/e...version-2.html

Their flatbed pop top is simple but functional.
Unread 03-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
  • AEV 17x10 Katla Wheel (painted to match and machined to allow conversion to SRW)
  • AEV Flares
  • AEV Heat Reduction Hood

dh
Love the build! Few questions..
  • Do you just machine the wheels and bolt them up to the DRW axle? What is needed to go DRW to SWR as I have been just looking for SRW trucks..
  • AEV flares.... Soon?
  • AEV hood... thats the first I have seen of that!! Soon?