Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-15-2017, 08:55 AM

There is also this. I'm not sure if a 37 will fit or not and I'm sure it differs from short to long bed but it's a good spot and uses typically unused space.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/titan-spare-tire-buddy/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-15-2017, 08:58 AM

As far as the roof goes though, I also wouldn't put the tire up there. When I had a Tahoe, I had my 38" tire up there on a Baja style rack mounted to the factory supports. A few trails in and the rack ripped out of the roof.

Unread 02-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliv View Post
i was hoping to do a rear bumper with tire carrier, such as aluminess or AEV (if it ever comes out) but it seems highly likely that any bumper carrier, no matter how well designed, is going to obstruct my rearview, break my park assist sensors and require relocating the rear camera at a minimum. and interfere with my ability to rear load an ATV on the diamondback.

so... anyone have a roof rack tire carrier suggestion that doesn't attach to the bed?
A rear bumper tire carrier will obstruct your view, but not to a huge extent. I have my spare mounted vertically right behind the drivers seat in the bed and I don't really notice it. Dave has the spare mounted right behind the driver's seat on the Ram Ute and I doubt he really notices it. Your park assist will still work with the Aluminess if you opt for the sensor holes. You will have to relocate your rear camera or utilize an auxiliary trailer camera. It should not interfere with your ability to rear load an ATV. People rear load truck campers with the things on.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Last edited by RF2200; 02-15-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Unread 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Default intro and questions

Has anyone ever relocated the camera on these trucks before? How does it work with the warning limit lines?

Last edited by TTEngineer; 02-15-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Unread 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM

I looked into it and was going to use another camera like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3518242...&ul_noapp=true

and wire it in place of the stock unit. I was going to mount it like AEV does with the JK Rear Vision System
http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...-vision-system

This is part of the reason why I was waiting for an AEV rear bumper because I assumed they would develop a plug and play solution for the rear camera. Thoroughly frustrated with the fact that AEV has yet to even release a prototype rear bumper even though they have indicated it is something they have been working on.

Not sure what you mean by warning limit lines, but if you mean the lines that are supposed to indicate where you will line up when backing into a parking spot, for instance, they aren't very accurate to begin with but they would be pretty far off with relocating the camera, I would assume.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post

Not sure what you mean by warning limit lines, but if you mean the lines that are supposed to indicate where you will line up when backing into a parking spot, for instance, they aren't very accurate to begin with but they would be pretty far off with relocating the camera, I would assume.

Yea that is what I am referring to. I actually have found that they are very accurate and would prefer to keep them if at all possible.

Unread 02-15-2017, 11:08 AM

guys i very much appreciate the warnings on the roof rack. it wasn't my first choice. it's kind of my last choice after eliminating the rest. i've seen lots of options and none of them seemed like they would really handle dynamic load

suggestions that involve the bed or removing the diamondback cover aren't going to work for me because i already have plans to use all that space. so bed mount is not an option.

my problems with rear bumper mount are:
it makes the truck too long. this is a serious issue and major concern
aforementioned issues around camera and sensors (possibly can mitigate)
Unread 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Am I right in that you're running Toyo R/T's? Do you like them?