Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 03-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Default winch problems

Needed to pull a roll off dumpster truck out today and my freewheel lever no longer unlocks drum. Anyone have a schematic on the 16.5I?
Unread 03-30-2017, 09:46 PM

If you contact Warn they should be able to send you a high quality schematic.

I've actually fixed this before on my own 16.5Ti. you need to take the end off and unbolt the detent pin from the free spool lever.

I really really really recommend NOT doing this on the truck if at all possible. However, I know that's not always an option.

You'll probably need to at least unbolt the winch from the bumper and shimmy it around a bit to get to all the allen screws and also to get the end cap out of the winch location. Be really really really careful of the planetary gear sets and make sure you look for any metal chunks in the grease.

A quick google search found me this. Top right corner is what you want to take off.

https://winchserviceparts.com/16-5ti.php

Last edited by socaladam; 03-30-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Unread 03-31-2017, 04:58 AM

Thank you for the info. I was planning on removing winch from bumper. Hope it wont need some special order part that takes weeks. Getting a synthetic line made now and heading for WV the 13th. New tires mid week. Leaning toward Toyo MT.
Unread 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM

Your freewheel lever turns but doesn't disengage the drum? Or you're having a problem turning the freewheel lever?
Unread 03-31-2017, 11:59 AM

Rotates as easily as it always did. some resistance.
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM

Are you sure the cable just isnt bound up a bit?
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:57 PM

So what brought this on? Did you use the cable as a snatch strap? Curious how to avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100
Unread 04-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Used lever to unlock drum. Nothing happened. Ran winch to unspooll cable, and had son walk cable out to stuck truck. Straped to a semi and spooled in. while spooling out i tried lever many times.
Unread 04-02-2017, 07:53 PM

https://warn.com/truck/ReplacementPa...rrpl16.5ti.pdf

Go to 3:15 in this video to see how the free spool works. Not a 16.5ti in the video but the same concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADjA0t0g8I

You really pay a premium for the Warn brand and I would ask them to stand behind it. I would call their customer service and request that they send you a full replacement in exchange for your faulty unit. I have done the whole rebuild your Warn winch that isn't free spooling and it would be easier to just exchange your winch. Even if you do replace parts it will probably happen again because your winch wasn't sealed correctly or has some other issue resulting in a free spool problem.

As long as you are requesting a different winch you could offer to pay the difference and have them send you the synthetic version.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 04-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Warn Industries, Inc. (WARN) warrants to the original purchaser that (a) the mechanical components of the "WARN" Self-recovery winch will be free of defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the winch, and (b) the electrical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. This Warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the winch.

https://www.warn.com/corporate/asset...CWinchWarr.pdf
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech