Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > TJ Wrangler Parts Discussion (1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 10-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Sharp looking jeep!
Unread 02-28-2015, 03:14 AM

A few extra ponies under the highlined hood and another power adding
upgrade in the works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	13241  
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeckham View Post
I love my highline LJ. I would like to own a jk350, but I don't think I would part with it to buy one. I was out for a ride this afternoon, so I thought I would snap a couple of pictures for the thread. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the color matched flares and hardtop. It's a very clean look, especially with silver Pintlers.

What tire carrier setup are you running? It's hard to tell from the pictures and my phone's small screen. I'd like to see a few photos of the mount you made for the IPF backup light too if you have a chance.
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM

great looking rig.
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I like the color matched flares and hardtop. It's a very clean look, especially with silver Pintlers.

What tire carrier setup are you running? It's hard to tell from the pictures and my phone's small screen. I'd like to see a few photos of the mount you made for the IPF backup light too if you have a chance.
Thank you! I like the matching hard top and fender flares. I built this Jeep after seeing the pictures on the internet of Jason's red LJ, but for I also liked the look of a Crimson Red one that AEV had in their photo gallery with a painted hardtop and painted (early or preproduction) flairs. I guess Jeep projects are never totally done! The tire carrier i'm running is from TNT Jeep parts. It is body mounted and fairly sturdy. The only issue was the powder coating. I was waiting for the bumper so I called the company and asked why it hadn't' shipped out yet and the woman who answered the phone said "Oh, it's going out this afternoon, I just powder coated it this morning." Two hours of sandblasting later, it was ready to send out to a real powder coater. At the time there weren't a lot of options for tire carriers. Actually there still aren't a lot of good options. Knowing now that the AEV carrier and be welded into the mopar bumper, I would have gone that route. MY LJ is in the shop right now, I'm tying in heated seats to my sPod, so I can snap some pictures of my IPF light mount. It's really just a piece of tubing I welled to some plates and mounted to the carrier. It looks cool though

2006 Highline LJ
3" Nth/OME/JKS
37" KM2's
4.88's ARB

2011 Ram 2500
Thuren control arms
Katla's 37" Toyo R/T's

47 CJ2A
Unread 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM

lets see some pictures of the LJ in the monster snows we keep hearing about out there (says someone in dry California soon to be dust bowl)
Unread 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM

I can post some pictures of my mountain sled in the snow if you would like. It's a little too steep and deep for the LJ! I better be careful though, I think the Missoula boys are all Doo fans
Attached Images

2006 Highline LJ
3" Nth/OME/JKS
37" KM2's
4.88's ARB

2011 Ram 2500
Thuren control arms
Katla's 37" Toyo R/T's

47 CJ2A
Unread 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM

Nice LJ. Are you a member of any NEA4WD clubs? Woodstock is a short hop from Webster, MA.
Unread 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM

I know those guys do a lot of wheeling. The truth is I owna dairy farm, and time isn't on my side for organized wheeling. I really am not looking for any hassles either. Anytime I go somewhere with my Lj someone is crawling under it shaking his head because it isn't "hardcore" enough. You know the D44's (with 37's) are a "ticking time bomb" that haven't blown up in 6 years. Tick, tick, tick.

2006 Highline LJ
3" Nth/OME/JKS
37" KM2's
4.88's ARB

2011 Ram 2500
Thuren control arms
Katla's 37" Toyo R/T's

47 CJ2A
Unread 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeckham View Post
I know those guys do a lot of wheeling. The truth is I owna dairy farm, and time isn't on my side for organized wheeling. I really am not looking for any hassles either. Anytime I go somewhere with my Lj someone is crawling under it shaking his head because it isn't "hardcore" enough. You know the D44's (with 37's) are a "ticking time bomb" that haven't blown up in 6 years. Tick, tick, tick.
I ran into a lot of this too with my TJ. When I did have time to hit the trails, I would often hear that my Jeep was too nice - although my Jeep would go everywhere the cut up, body-armored rigs would go and ride home at 75 MPH like a dream - and the sides of my tub wouldn't be covered in mud thanks to the wide HL flares.

There is a large contingent in the Jeep community that thinks that a "real" Jeep has no fender flares and armor on every exterior inch of the vehicle. I caught a lot of grief for my HL Kit. I constantly heard that the HL fenders and flares were a liability, as they would crinkle if I struck a tree. I would then explain that's the idea behind the kit and OE style components. What a lot of these guys don't understand is that their big, beefy steel fenders are not designed to absorb any force in an impact. During a forward strike with these bolt-on steel fenders, all of that energy transfers straight through the fenders into the vulnerable firewall. Oh well, to each their own.

I would note that I think Ben ran 37's on D44s with Brutal and it's 6.4L Hemi. ...so I think you're good. From what I have personally seen, the guys running 37s break axle components due to bad driving habits (namely, excessive throttle and wheel hop).