Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 05-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Default about to jk hemi swap, inspection ?

Hey all, I have a 2008 JKU 3.8 auto and I'm about to pull the trigger on a hemi swap. I picked up a 2010 Cherokee drop out engine and trans.

I'm hesitant to get the kit now as I'm concerned if it will pass Pennsylvania inspection. I live in an emissions county and I'm sure I can find a place to pass it but I'm looking to doing it right..

Will the AEV computer match my vin? is one question. I know when they open the hood they should recognize it's not a 3.8 but if all the emissions stuff is there and the gas cap is good should I have any issues??

Way to much legal talk in some of the federal and state codes for me to understand ...

I'm getting a little bit of cold feet on the swap and wanna make sure I'm good to go...

Thanks,
Bob
Unread 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Just an FYI, I stopped by an enhanced inspection station and they said our county only does a visual inspection. Check the gas cap, making sure there are no error codes, installed and working egr, cats, O2 sensors and full exhaust..
Unread 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM

I don't know about PA emissions testing, but here in CO, I called the DMV and ended up having a great discussion about doing a hemi swap and the emissions testing process. They were very helpful. I learned exactly what the emissions process would be. It made the decision much easier.
Unread 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjku View Post
I don't know about PA emissions testing, but here in CO, I called the DMV and ended up having a great discussion about doing a hemi swap and the emissions testing process. They were very helpful. I learned exactly what the emissions process would be. It made the decision much easier.
And???
Unread 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM

never mind, I searched your name and it looks like there was / is no issue in Co.. they are pretty tough from my readings..
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norville View Post
never mind, I searched your name and it looks like there was / is no issue in Co.. they are pretty tough from my readings..
Yes they are almost as bad here in the Front Range of Colorado as California!

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.
Unread 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Sounds like you guys need to move to a more tolerant state !
Unread 05-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5 View Post
Sounds like you guys need to move to a more tolerant state !
I'm working on it. The whole Western part of Colorado is emission free. No big Cities and smaller population. There's something like 100,000 people moving into Colorado per year so gridlock is on the way!! Home prices from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins are crazy high as well.

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.