Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Default JKU 2.5" DS lift, 35s, and stock fenders. Issues?

Disclaimer: I've searched at length but can't seem to find a consensus answer to my question.

The local AEV install shop is trying to talk me into going with the 3.5" kit rather than the 2.5", claiming that it will only be a matter of time before I tear my stock fenders off with the 2.5" lift. They also claimed that there "is no point" in using the geometry correction brackets that I want with the 2.5" kit. And another somewhat related annoyance is they are trying to convince me to go with an 18" wheel rather than the 17" I'd prefer.

I'd prefer the 2.5" kit for a number of reasons (including fitting into my garage even with a rack on top), and I'm unwilling to go with a smaller tire. I find it odd that AEV markets this kit as being able to fit 35s, countless people seem to run this setup, and countless custom truck shops are selling this combo, but that this shop is telling me I'll have issues if I tackle the slightest ditch. The things this shop is telling me seem to run counter to everything I read in this forum - what is the truth?

Other possibly pertinent info:
- Planned tires: 35x12.5 R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (these seem to actually run close to 35 inches)
- I haven't made a final decision on wheels but will choose some with backspacing/offset close to AEV wheels
- 2012 JKU Sahara
- Currently running stock bumpers but future plans to upgrade to AEV bumpers

Last edited by sporter; 05-18-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typos
Unread 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM

First off, I'd find another shop to do the install. Now for your questions. I ran the 2.5 with 35" KM2s and never had a fender rub issue even with the sway bar disconnected. Granted the Nitto is a bigger tire than the KM2 so I guess it's possible to get a little rubbing, but I don't see it being a major issue. Make sure you keep the backspacing the same as AEVs wheels which is part of the reason for no rubbing. You can run the 2.5 with or without the geo brackets. I felt that they did improve the ride and were worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 05-18-2017, 06:16 PM

I have wheeled with panhead and he had 2.5" on his 4 door he never ripped a flare off when we did the rubicon trail. I put a 2.5" on my 16 jkr and spent a week in moab and never rubbed a fender flare. I did most of the tougher trails ie golden spike, behind the rocks, strike ravine, Kane cr etc. that all said panhead ended up going 3.5 before we did dusy ershim and after I got back from Moab I installed a 3.5" personally I think the 3.5" does ride and handle better which is crazy but that's my story and I am sticking to it. oh and 3.5 looks great.
Unread 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM

I agree with "Daveh" and "jeffd". I have a 2 1/2 (with K02's) and have not had any rubbing issues. I've also run the Rubicon trail with the 2 1/2". As you can see in the photo. The tires tuck underneath the fenders nicely. The wheels are similar backspacing to the AEV's. Disregard the comments from that shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	22369  
Unread 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM

I'll be selling my 2.5" XT kit later next week if you live near Colorado. I ran it with 35's and no problem with stock fenders ever (including MOAB EJS). I have spacers on some old AEV beadlocks ().
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM

The 3.5 is a better and more complete lift, but sounds like your shop doesn't know what it's talking about. The geometry correction brackets don't work if you're not lifted high enough but you should be with the 2.5 (that's why it has a 2.5 setting on the bracket). Any rubbing would be real minor.

Find a new shop or do it yourself. The 2.5 lift it pretty straight-forward to install and can be done in a day in your driveway. Good luck with the set up!
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Default JKU 2.5" DS lift, 35s, and stock fenders. Issues?

I ran the 2.5DS on my 2 door. I had 35" KM2's on stock 17" wheels with Spydertrax spacers and had no rubbing. I then changed to a 17x9 ATX wheel with 4.5BS and 35" Goodyear MTR/K and had some rubbing up front. Nothing that would pull a fender off, but my wife sure didn't like the sound of it.
I'd agree with the others, either do it yourself or find a new shop. The 2.5 kit was an easy install with hand tools, a floor jack and good stands.
And I'm not expert, but it seems tire choices in an 18" are limited and expensive.
And a side note, I also used the geo brackets for awhile, shortly after I removed them (out of curiosity) the boot on my front CV let go. Lots of disconnected off road may have been the culprit.

Last edited by Bthomas; 05-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Unread 05-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
I'll be selling my 2.5" XT kit later next week if you live near Colorado. I ran it with 35's and no problem with stock fenders ever (including MOAB EJS). I have spacers on some old AEV beadlocks ().
Question are you using TJ bolt pattern wheels on a JK?
Unread 05-22-2017, 10:11 AM

thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely thinking I'll stay away from the shop and do the install myself if I can convince myself to pull the trigger on the 2.5" over the 3.5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthomas View Post
I ran the 2.5DS on my 2 door. I had 35" KM2's on stock 17" wheels with Spydertrax spacers and had no rubbing. I then changed to a 17x9 ATX wheel with 4.5BS and 35" Goodyear MTR/K and had some rubbing up front. Nothing that would pull a fender off, but my wife sure didn't like the sound of it.
think it was the tire that led to the rubbing (MTR/Ks being taller than the small-running KM2s) or the wheel? I'm actually considering some of the ATX wheel options, so with the ridge grapplers I'd probably have the same issue. Was the rubbing bad enough that you ever did anything about it?
Unread 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporter View Post
Disclaimer: I've searched at length but can't seem to find a consensus answer to my question.

The local AEV install shop is trying to talk me into going with the 3.5" kit rather than the 2.5", claiming that it will only be a matter of time before I tear my stock fenders off with the 2.5" lift. They also claimed that there "is no point" in using the geometry correction brackets that I want with the 2.5" kit. And another somewhat related annoyance is they are trying to convince me to go with an 18" wheel rather than the 17" I'd prefer.

I'd prefer the 2.5" kit for a number of reasons (including fitting into my garage even with a rack on top), and I'm unwilling to go with a smaller tire. I find it odd that AEV markets this kit as being able to fit 35s, countless people seem to run this setup, and countless custom truck shops are selling this combo, but that this shop is telling me I'll have issues if I tackle the slightest ditch. The things this shop is telling me seem to run counter to everything I read in this forum - what is the truth?

Other possibly pertinent info:
- Planned tires: 35x12.5 R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (these seem to actually run close to 35 inches)
- I haven't made a final decision on wheels but will choose some with backspacing/offset close to AEV wheels
- 2012 JKU Sahara
- Currently running stock bumpers but future plans to upgrade to AEV bumpers
Of course you can run the 2.5" DualSport with 35" tires. One of our employees is running that setup right now with true 35s (Pitbull tires) and I have multiple friends running the 2.5" with 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Goodyear Duratracs. All setups I just referred to are using AEV wheels and are not experiencing any rubbing with stock fender flares. Please email me the name of the shop you were talking to (cholt@aev-conversions.com). The geometry correction brackets, while an optional upgrade for the 2.5" kit, are a key component to allow your new AEV suspension to function in the best way possible.

I myself have the 2.5" kit and geometry correction brackets. I could not imagine it without them. While I am not running 35" tires yet, I fully plan on it. I would strongly recommend going with the 2.5" DualSport Suspension System that you have your eyes on, add the geometry correction brackets and a Procal. Also, with your OEM plastic bumpers, you will notice a lift height closer to 3" until you add steel bumpers into the mix. The below product page describes the many benefits of the geometry correction brackets.

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...n-brackets-frt
cholt@aev-conversions.com