AEV 4.5" LIft 37" tires as a fun Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Combs19
    • Mar 2017

I might be looking at the wrong driveshaft from Mopar but the ones I've found on line seem to be more expensive then the Adams or Tom Woods.

Comment

• Combs19
      • Mar 2017

Also thinking of have the dealership just regear it right away. Seems like 4.88 and 37" are the way to go if not just for off roading?

Comment

• Combs19
        • Mar 2017

Now doing more research it looks like I'm leaning more towards 4.56 gears for the better highway matters.

Comment

• donjku
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by redrockjk
          I would highly suggest not doing 37s and 3.73s. You will hate driving the jeep. You won't even use OD and the jeep will be pretty gutless aswell.

And if you don't plan on upgrading axles I would also highly suggest you sleeve and gusset that front axle even if you don't plan to Offroad the jeep. I see 3-4 jeeps a month with bent front axles that the owner claims the jeep has never been off the pavement.

If you do plan on spending the money and time on sleeve, gusseting and gearing your stock axles you would be money ahead just buying a set of new 4:10 Rubicon axles. I have customers that do that often as you get 4.10 gears, lockers and over all bigger axles in one shot. Plus you can get $2000 for your old axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Can you share how you diagnosis a bent axle?

Comment

• redrockjk
            • May 2013

Originally posted by donjku

If you have a trained eye you can spot one from a mile away just in the way the tire sits. Otherwise the upper C will look bent. Sometimes a straight edge on the pass side axle tube. Also obviously an Alignment machine will show that too

Comment

• redrockjk
              • May 2013

Here's a great example

Photo for reference:

Comment

• Combs19
                • Mar 2017

Here's a great example

Photo for reference:

Could that also be caused by the ball joints being worn-out from larger tires?

Comment

• donjku
                  • Nov 2009

If you have a trained eye you can spot one from a mile away just in the way the tire sits. Otherwise the upper C will look bent. Sometimes a straight edge on the pass side axle tube. Also obviously an Alignment machine will show that too

What would the alignment machine show? Camber out of spec?

Comment

• redrockjk
                    • May 2013

Originally posted by Combs19
                    Could that also be caused by the ball joints being worn-out from larger tires?

Oh yes that is also very common but this particular jeep that's in the picture has a bent axle as I drove it just before it was bent. Typically ball joints that are wore out that bad similar to the picture are very high mileage units

Comment

• Panhead5
                      • Sep 2011

Yup.

Comment

• redrockjk
                        • May 2013

Yes it sure will. It's really the only tried and true place to get a camber spec

Comment

• donjku
                          • Nov 2009

Yes it sure will. It's really the only tried and true place to get a camber spec

The problem I have with using that to diagnose a bent axle is that I have taken multiple BRAND new JKURs to get an alignment, and ALL of them were out of camber spec from the factory. I am pretty convinced they weld the damn Cs on out of spec. I have seen it too many times.

And I have monitored the camber specs over the life of the JKURs with 37s and stock axles. The camber specs never changed more than one degree up and down. And these are JKURs that are wheeled all over CO and UT.

Comment

• Panhead5
                            • Sep 2011

Agree . When I got my Jeep I immediately put it on our alignment rack and it was at the negative end of the camber spectrum . BRAND NEW ! Now after 3 years of moderate wheeling it's still in the same place . Figuring out what people consider to be excessive negative camber can be tricky without a baseline starting point. It can be bent c's , axle tubes, worn out ball joints or that's just the way it was built .

To tell you the truth unless something is radically worn out or wrong I don't sweat it too much.

Comment

• Combs19
                              • Mar 2017

So do installing sleeves and "C" gussets like the ones from Teraflex not help with running 37" on a dana 30 front end? Seems like cheap insurance if I'm already in there getting regeared or is it a waste of money?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• redrockjk
                                • May 2013

Originally posted by Combs19
                                So do installing sleeves and "C" gussets like the ones from Teraflex not help with running 37" on a dana 30 front end? Seems like cheap insurance if I'm already in there getting regeared or is it a waste of money?

I would buy those to put in the Dana 44 rubicon axles that you should swap into your jeep

Comment

Working...