Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > TJ Wrangler Parts Discussion (1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler)

Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Default My AEV Highline Install on a 99 Sahara

Well, I have had this thing in my garage since May and decided that now would be a good time to take this on.

Here is my Jeep with the hood permanently removed. I had to take out the stock hinge backing plates because I needed them on the hood to paint it together with the new hinges. Also, all of the hardware that will eventually go on the new hood had to come off. More disassembly to go!

Finally cleaned the garage of dust, scuffed and washed the e-coated parts. Note to anyone handling soapy metal fenders: use leather gloves to handle. As awesome as the build quality of these parts are, the odd sharp edge will slice your fingers!

First coat of epoxy primer. Almost out of daylight...

Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Backside of the hood:

More to come!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Some progress today... I got base coat and clear coat on the hood. I have a few runs of clear coat and some orange peel spots; nothing some wet sanding and rubbing compound can't handle.

Look at that shine!

Hopefully, I will get to the fenders tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM

It has been a while since I last posted, but I have made some progress...

First off, we have primer and basecoat on the fenders...

The clear coat did not come out as nice. Blame it on the harbor freight cheapo gun, humidity, my sloppy technique, etc... Shooting paint is a science and so many things can go wrong. In retrospect, maybe I should have gotten someone else to do it instead of investing in the compressor, plumbing, guns, and painting supplies. Oh well, I guess I am learning. Wet sanding didn't help either. No matter how much I buffed, it lost that initial glossy finish. I ended up taking it to a professional, who fixed my goof-ups for a reasonable price (Many thanks to Mike Deguilio at ABC Auto in Pearland, TX; great guy to talk shop with and a fellow fan of American Graffiti too).

Next came the U-POL Raptor in the wheel wells. Had to wait for a long time for good weather. This stuff is easy to shoot, but it does require lots prep work...

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM

With all major painting out of the way, I was finally able to move on to the fun stuff... wrench-work!!

Here is the left fender completely dissasembled. This was a real pain. My advice to anyone who has to remove their fender is to start with the bottom two bolts that attach to the firewall. Bag all your bolts in labeled ziplock bags and accept the fact that you will destroy a few of those stoopid plastic plugs that hold down your electricals to the interior of the fenders.

The instructions require you to cut up your ABS and battery support brackets and attach them to shorter half bracket that comes with the kit.

Here is a closeup of the assembled ABS tray bracket:

I was then able to carefully install the left highline fender. It is not tightened down yet because I will need to adjust everything later to align it all.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Here is a front view. Note the height difference between the AEV highline and the stock fender on the left.

Man, I love the glossy clear coat finish achieved by Mike! That guy is good!

Here is a shot of my modified battery and ABS trays. They are awaiting some POR-15 goodness.

Last edited by chop110; 01-01-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Yesterday, I was able to break down the right fender...

I then made an unfortunate discovery when I removed the shock absorber...

In the nearly twelve years that I have had this Jeep, I can't pin one event that may have caused this. Several times, I have come down hard on the front end while on the trails. I figure the cracks in the steel hapened gradually and the shock pressure made it worse over time. Now I have to stop everything and do some steel banging welding. Fun stuff.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CRDSTU

Good to see you've used raptor on the underside of the guards and also filled in the crease on top of the fender - pro

Hi Line makes the TJ.......

Bugger about that split in the top shock mount
stuart@murchisonproducts.com.au
12 AEV JKU, Dozer
05 AEV Brute, Brilliant Black
01 TJ Brute Alloy Trayback, Silver
13 WK2 CRD Laredo, Brilliant Black

Last edited by CRDSTU; 01-02-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 AM

Thanks!

Funny thing about that Fusor seam filler stuff AEV recommends. I had no idea you needed to buy a separate dispenser tool for it. Instead of ordering it and waiting, I got impatient and tried squeezing the stuff out with some woden dowels and a C-clamp I rigged together. Needless to say, things got messy and that stuff dries fast once the catalyst mixes in with the epoxy. I paid for it later with a lot of sanding and body filler.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM

I was able to fix the cracks in my shock tower:

So on to AEV Highline install...

This is the completed battery tray support bracket:

And now the right fender is up:

And finally, the hood...