Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kashat View Post
It looks like they sell a factory spec (5 on 5?) "Unit Bearing", not the whole setup. Was considering getting it (assuming it was a 5 on 5) and putting it on my new Dynatrac ProRock44 axle along with my Reid Knuckles, Synergy Ball Joints, and 30 Spline RCV Axle Shafts, so I literally just needed to swap gears from the factory Dana 44 into the Dynatrac and have everything done/upgraded at once.

http://spyntec.com/jeep_jk_factory_unit_bearing_photos/
Why not leave the gears? Then you have a plug and play (yeah right) Dynatrac and you can sell your factory front axle xomplete?
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Teraflex uses Ram 1500 pads and rotors. Available at any auto parts store.
That's interesting, I had not read that before.

So all we need the caliper bracket and we could buy much cheaper RAM 1500 calipers, rotors and pads?
From what I see, they don't sell only the bracket. Damn

-Dan
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Teraflex uses Ram 1500 pads and rotors. Available at any auto parts store.
They are redrilled to the 5x5 bolt pattern, but again that is more work than what it is worth. The oversized JK brakes for overseas have the same size rotor as TF, and they use the same master cylinder. The only real difference is single vs dual pistons on the caliper, but on the JK either setup should be able to lock up the fronts easily enough. and provide more than enough stopping power.

There isn't much price difference between the two systems, so why not go with one where you can get the parts from any dealership and not have to modify them at all?

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
but on the JK either setup should be able to lock up the fronts easily enough. and provide more than enough stopping power.
This is a common misconception about brakes in general.

It's not simply about being able to lock up the wheels - if it were, then your stock brakes are fine, because they can lock up no problem.....

Bigger (and stronger) brakes are all about more control, so you can hold them right at the limit of locking up, without actually locking up. As ABS teaches us, dynamic friction (when the wheels are still turning) is much higher than static friction (when the wheels are locked) which is why for max stopping power, you don't want to lock the wheels, just almost.

I always imagine one of those exercise things used for hand grip strength, where you squeeze it together in one hand.
Imagine one so difficult, that with all your might you can jam it closed, hold it for a second then it bounces all the way open again. That's what the stock brakes are like. They can lock up, but not with much control, and they certainly won't be great after you've done that 10 or 20 or 50 times.

Now imagine Arnie comes along and squeezes the same thing. He can lock it up no problem. He can open it a few millimeters and hold it there no problem. He can open it an inch, lock it back up, then open it back up an inch. No problem. He can do this all day long. No problem.

Upgrading brakes it not about the ability to lock up wheels, it's about the ability to have much more control in almost locking up wheels, repeatedly.

In general a dual piston caliper will give you more clamping force, therefore more power & control. Which means a dual caliper piston is desirable over a single, given the same diameter rotor.

-Dan
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:07 PM

I swapped my brakes (mopar code BRW) with the BR6 (Heave Duty ones):

68044865AA ADAPTER, DISC BRAKE CALIPER $27,99 x2
68049018AA PIN KIT, DISC BRAKE $6,99 x2
68044862AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY RIGHT $70,99 x1
68044863AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY LEFT $70,99 x1
68044866AA (new) 68044866AC PAD KIT FRONT $152,99 x1
68040177AA 13" ROTOR FRONT BRAKE $85,99 x2
68045998AB Master Cylinder new# 68091278AB $101.99 x1
68045999AB BOOSTER, Power Brake $121.99 x1

The only problem is that you have to order the parts and wait 2-3 weeks for delivery (or at least I haven't found anyone with these parts in stock).
PS: The Booster & Master Cylinder are the BR6 parts from the 2011+ JK models ;-)

For this option I priced out the parts from an online supplier and it's about $850 shipped for everything. I have a 2013 so it looks like I can omit the MC and Power brake booster, is that correct? If so it's about $230 less so $620 for the "heavy duty" kit with 13" rotors.

Will this be a significant upgrade for a 2013 JKUR? I just upgraded to 35's with a combined wheel/tire weight of 102lbs so I am unimpressed with the brakes now and need to find an option.
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
I swapped my brakes (mopar code BRW) with the BR6 (Heave Duty ones):

68044865AA ADAPTER, DISC BRAKE CALIPER $27,99 x2
68049018AA PIN KIT, DISC BRAKE $6,99 x2
68044862AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY RIGHT $70,99 x1
68044863AA CALIPER ASSEMBLY LEFT $70,99 x1
68044866AA (new) 68044866AC PAD KIT FRONT $152,99 x1
68040177AA 13" ROTOR FRONT BRAKE $85,99 x2
68045998AB Master Cylinder new# 68091278AB $101.99 x1
68045999AB BOOSTER, Power Brake $121.99 x1

The only problem is that you have to order the parts and wait 2-3 weeks for delivery (or at least I haven't found anyone with these parts in stock).
PS: The Booster & Master Cylinder are the BR6 parts from the 2011+ JK models ;-)

For this option I priced out the parts from an online supplier and it's about $850 shipped for everything. I have a 2013 so it looks like I can omit the MC and Power brake booster, is that correct? If so it's about $230 less so $620 for the "heavy duty" kit with 13" rotors.

Will this be a significant upgrade for a 2013 JKUR? I just upgraded to 35's with a combined wheel/tire weight of 102lbs so I am unimpressed with the brakes now and need to find an option.
So, does this mean that for my 2012 jkur I wouldn't need to order the master cylinder and power brake booster as well?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited RUBICON, AEV F1 Leather, AEV Premium Front and Rear Bumpers, WARN 9.5ctis, AEV 4.5" Dualsport RS, 20" HRE TR45 Wheels, 37" BF Goodrich KM2's, JW Speaker 8700 Evo's and 6045's, Rigid Industries LED's, TNT Customs Rock Sliders, Etc etc...
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kashat View Post
So, does this mean that for my 2012 jkur I wouldn't need to order the master cylinder and power brake booster as well?
it actually looks like to my research thus far that the only difference in the BR6 package vs BRY std brakes are the adapter and the rotor at 13." The master cylinder and booster are the same and the calipers are the same.

Unless it's too good to be true it looks like about 250$ in Mopar parts can put 13' rotors on your Jeep using all existing parts except the rotor and the caliper adapter bracket.

anyone else with more experience with 2012-2014 JK's able to comment?
Unread 10-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to jwilson2598

Keep making the total cheaper and I might have to jump on this for mine.

2013 Sahara
AEV front/rear bumpers, ProCal, Teraflex leveling kit, 275/70/18 Duratracs
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
This is a common misconception about brakes in general.

It's not simply about being able to lock up the wheels - if it were, then your stock brakes are fine, because they can lock up no problem.....
With my 37" tires I can't lockup the stock brakes. As much as it is about brakes the tires also play into the equation. If your tires don't have the grip then it doesn't matter what you do with the brakes.

The other thing you mentioned was about dual piston calipers being better, and this is true if you can find a master cylinder big enough to power the brakes. TeraFlex runs the Jeep JK overseas master cylinder that is designed for a single piston caliper that flows more fluid. On the TeraFlex kit they are running a dual piston setup that requires much more fluid than what the cylinder can flow. This is why people complain of a spongy pedal feel and in emergency stop situation the pedal going all the way to the floor.

For me this doesn't inspire confidence in their system. Yes it will stop me quicker and provide more control, but they need to find a master cylinder that can flow as much fluid as their brakes are designed for. This is another advantage to just going with the oversized overseas system. The master cylinder and brake caliper were designed to work with each other. No spongy pedal, or pedal going all the way to the floor. You get the feedback in the pedal you should to be able to keep your brakes where you want them and maintain control.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
it actually looks like to my research thus far that the only difference in the BR6 package vs BRY std brakes are the adapter and the rotor at 13." The master cylinder and booster are the same and the calipers are the same.

Unless it's too good to be true it looks like about 250$ in Mopar parts can put 13' rotors on your Jeep using all existing parts except the rotor and the caliper adapter bracket.

anyone else with more experience with 2012-2014 JK's able to comment?
On the 2012+ Jeep JK the master cylinder and booster are the same because you have the vacuum assist for emergency braking situations.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited