X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughshod
    replied
    Mike,

2004 rubicon. Auto. I’m on my second trans as the first one succumbed to big tires. No mods on either trans or motor. Thanks for thinking of it!!!

TJ

Leave a comment:

• LSRMike
    replied
    I might have a TCM on the self. What year wrangler did you use for engine and transmission? If mine works I can just ship it to you. I have no way to check it to make sure it’s 100 percent working. Figure it might be worth a shot.
    Dig the sliders kind of like what I have on my Brute.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Roughshod
    replied
    All good suggestions!

I’ve heard back from Blaine, and should have no problems hooking up the U-turn steering. I’m going to go the Super 16 kit route until the stock axles give up the ghost as they have worked well since new and modified too much on the outside ( Clayton trusses front and rear) to warrant pitching for new axle housings.

I’ll post up a pic or two when the parts arrive and the surgery takes place.

Still need to to track down a reman TCM for the transmission to get the rig underway again!

Thanks all!!

TJ

Leave a comment:

• MuleShoer
    replied
    I would suggest an alternative to swapping differentials unless of course your looking for more strength too. And that is consider converting your standard vacuum assist booster to hydroboost plus big brake pads. There are several aftermarket solutions that might work for you (you essentially are just adding a firewall to master cylinder adapter and rout you hydraulics off the power steering and total cost should be under a grand
    I run it on my wifes 72 FJ40 with 4 wheel disc and is impressive
    on the Unicorn i run 1 ton chevy single piston disc with stock tj vacum

Leave a comment:

• Ben Hedrick
    replied
    So Will might be on to something but, the JK axles will be way wide for the TJ. For Super Brute, we had Dynatracs build up “hybrid” axles. They were TJ from the knuckles in and JK from knuckles out. That way we used the TJ Nth Degree Long Arm kit. Then we had Dynatracs add their big brake JK brakes and JK ball joints for a much stronger TJ set of axles. Worked good!

Now, with that said, our Imola Orange Brute is running the Black Magic big brakes too and they seem to work good.

Cheers! Ben

Leave a comment:

• Will Cabell
    replied
    Do a JK axle swap or any axle swap for that matter. TJ/LJ axles really dont have a ton of support. I did JK axles on the LJ and the teraflex brake upgrade and it was awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Roughshod
    replied
    Custom built in the ole garage. Here are some pics of the prototypes.

2”x3” .120 wall rectangular with 1 3/4” .120 wall round tubing. Will weld straight to frame, with just a bit of reinforcement there.

Leave a comment:

• LSRMike
    replied
    I would call Blaine at Black Magic Brakes to get verification on the knuckles. Nice guy to talk to just takes him a day or so to get back with you. His kits have everything down to the cotter pins. I have not had issues with Currie’s or Synergy’s steering systems on the Black Magic knuckles. What sliders are you going to use?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Roughshod
    replied
    Thanks for the info!

One other question.

I’m running an ORO U-turn steering set up. I assume that the steering system will still bolt to the back of the new knuckles, given that the Super 16 kit runs stock (slightly modified) unit bearings, I’ll have no new mods to reattach the U-turn??

Again, thanks for the feed back. I’ll install the new kit along with new full length custom sliders while looking for a reman. tcm for the trans, which took a dump on the same trip.

Good timing!!!

TJ

Leave a comment:

• LSRMike
    replied
    Pete is right on with the Super Sixteen Kit from Black Magic. I have installed this kit on previous Jeeps I have owned. Never had any issues with the installation or parts. My Brute will be getting this kit once the engine rewire is complete.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• PeteEinMT
    replied
    That is the kit I would do through Black Magic. It is a 16" Super kit I believe I ran this kit on my Brute in Moab and worked Great. I found that going downhill in 4 low The Rubicon T/C would walk through the brakes when in 1st so Id go to neutral and that would slow me down better

Leave a comment:

• Roughshod
    started a topic Let’s talk about Brute single cab brakes

Let’s talk about Brute single cab brakes

So, as the truck sits, full tank, no people, 5300 lbs. spot on.

So I’m asking what builders/ owners have done to get better braking power??

A little about the truck.

Stock rubicon axles with 4.88 gear sets. 35’s on stock 16 Moab’s. Working oe lockers. Auto and stock I6.

Outside of the obvious solutions (diet, dynatrac’s, anchor), what have you builder/owners done to slow these down on big grades and long downhills.

Have gone the new pad route. New pad/ rotor route, but still get brake fade and heat on steep downhills.

Been looking at Vanco super 16 kit with new knuckles ( for larger discs and 2 piston calipers), but open to any suggestions.

Thanks

TJ
Working...
X