AEV 'Gladiator'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV 'Gladiator'?

It seems the same old politics are going to keep the Gladiator (or any other Jeep pickup) from being built I am tired of waiting and would love to have an alternative built on a JK chassis.

I think an AEV version could be constructed similar to the Brute truck:
    Begin with a 4 door JK, cut the rear door openings ~in half.
    Scrap the sheetmetal from there back.
    Add cab enclosure which completes rear 1/2-width door openings to access storage area. (would need rear doors of course & revised top parts)
    Extend frame ~16" or so.
    Add Brute-ish bed.

Build it & they will come...with money!

Don't give up hope yet for a Jeep built truck:
    "Q: Any chance mid-sized trucks will stage a comeback to cope with higher fuel economy needs?
    A: Not much. Certainly not body-on-frame mid-sized trucks. The Ford Ranger is going away. The Dodge Dakota is going away, according to Chrysler's Marchionne. To compensate, Jeep will have a Wrangler with a flat-bed.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/20/a...ons-and-yours/

Comment

Your guys timing is pretty funny. Last week Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler Group said that there is a better than 50% chance for Jeep to build the Gladiator on the Wrangler assembly line at Toledo.
      Don't give up, it's coming. Wrangler will be re-designed for 2014, but will get the new engine by late this summer, so look for a 2013 model "Gladiator" at some point after that.

A few things, it will NOT have a flat bed, it will be fairly close to the Gladiator Concept truck, but built on a Wrangler frame, not the Concepts Ram frame.

As for using a 4 door JK and cutting it up, no.... a waste of time and resources. They could start with a J8 frame and go from there. Remember that many of the parts used for JT, Brute and Nukizer are already in existence. Factories don't need to hack and whack, especially when they have the ability to stamp their own body parts...
      Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
      4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
        Your guys timing is pretty funny. Last week Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler Group said that there is a better than 50% chance for Jeep to build the Gladiator on the Wrangler assembly line at Toledo.
        Don't give up, it's coming. Wrangler will be re-designed for 2014, but will get the new engine by late this summer, so look for a 2013 model "Gladiator" at some point after that.

A few things, it will NOT have a flat bed, it will be fairly close to the Gladiator Concept truck, but built on a Wrangler frame, not the Concepts Ram frame.

As for using a 4 door JK and cutting it up, no.... a waste of time and resources. They could start with a J8 frame and go from there. Remember that many of the parts used for JT, Brute and Nukizer are already in existence. Factories don't need to hack and whack, especially when they have the ability to stamp their own body parts...
        I wonder if the 2014 will be a exterior refresh or a completely new Wrangler Jeep. Theres no reason to reinvent the wheel on the JK as its been the most popular Jeep ever built.

Jason
        Jason De Monto
        Trail Concepts
        480-788-7245
        2015 Jeep Rubicon
        Baja Yellow
        Dual Sport 106

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
          I wonder if the 2014 will be a exterior refresh or a completely new Wrangler Jeep. Theres no reason to reinvent the wheel on the JK as its been the most popular Jeep ever built.

Jason
          I am guessing that there will just be a refresh with a new Wrangler in 2017. Seems like they have been using a 10 year life cycle for the Wrangler many years now, so it doen't seem like it will change any time.

All the other models are on about a 6 year cycle between new models.
          Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
          4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

In another interesting article in Pickuptrucks.com, the CEO for Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne, said there is a better than 50% chance of a new multi-purpose vehicle with a truck bed being added to the Jeep line, but don't call it a pickup truck.
            I envision a Patriot/SubaruBaja thing...

It is stupid that Dodge is retiring the Dakota line, yet doesn't want Jeep to build a mid-size truck for fear it will 'cannibalize Ram sales'. geez
            Last edited by Oilburner; 01-21-2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oilburner View Post
              I envision a Patriot/SubaruBaja thing...
              I'm pretty sure it is going to be very similar to the Gladiator Concept.
              4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
                I am guessing that there will just be a refresh with a new Wrangler in 2017. Seems like they have been using a 10 year life cycle for the Wrangler many years now, so it doen't seem like it will change any time.

All the other models are on about a 6 year cycle between new models.
                The Wrangler refresh was 2011, the 2014 will be a new Wrangler. It's in the Fiat Plan announced last year and so far they have kept nearly 100% to the "Plan".
                Not saying I want them to change a thing, just saying it's what they need to do to meet the 2016 CAFE regs, so I'm fearful, as nearly every Jeeper is, whenever we hear "New" Wrangler. I'd prefer the 20 year cycle of the CJ5...
                4540 Motorsports

Comment

The Wrangler refresh was 2011, the 2014 will be a new Wrangler. It's in the Fiat Plan announced last year and so far they have kept nearly 100% to the "Plan".
                  Not saying I want them to change a thing, just saying it's what they need to do to meet the 2016 CAFE regs, so I'm fearful, as nearly every Jeeper is, whenever we hear "New" Wrangler. I'd prefer the 20 year cycle of the CJ5...
                  I see no reason why the JK can not live 20+ years although government regulation typically changes the wrangler design. I know there no way possible to improve on the JK without going against the heritage of the vehicle...some would say thats already happened. Who knows what they will do....

Jason
                  Jason De Monto
                  Trail Concepts
                  480-788-7245
                  2015 Jeep Rubicon
                  Baja Yellow
                  Dual Sport 106

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
                    I see no reason why the JK can not live 20+ years although government regulation typically changes the wrangler design. I know there no way possible to improve on the JK without going against the heritage of the vehicle...some would say thats already happened. Who knows what they will do....

Jason
                    I know one thing, if the government causes changes because of side impact, bumper heights etc. The 2012 could become the most popular Wrangler ever, with the new motor, old chassis and the last of the rugged suspensions.
                    However before we throw dirt on the grave, we need to listen and see what they have on the drawing board.
                    Manley worries me, but he could surprise a few folks.
                    4540 Motorsports

Comment

I would be VERY interested in the truck. Just not so into the side mounted spare of the concept. I know it's retro, just not diggin' it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepfreak View Post
                        I would be VERY interested in the truck. Just not so into the side mounted spare of the concept. I know it's retro, just not diggin' it.
                        The spare tire location has generally been a pain in the Achilles for Jeep since Day One.
                        Side mount presents clearance issues on tight trails. Rear mount requires an extra step to access the tailgate. Under bed has ground clearance and space issues, Interior mount takes away cargo space. Change your tire size and they are ALL bad choices.
                        Over the years Jeep has experimented with many locations, all of which have advantages and disadvantages.
                        4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by jeepfreak View Post
                          If not on the side, how about in a well in the bed?

Last edited by jscherb; 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Ha!
                            I was thinking of you when I wrote that Jeff!
                            Nukizer copied you as well, but it might pose a cargo space issue if you wanted to pick up some drywall or plywood...
                            " I'm only going 4 miles, what could possibly go wrong if I take the spare out..." ha! ha!
                            4540 Motorsports

Comment

Ha!
                              I was thinking of you when I wrote that Jeff!
                              Nukizer copied you as well, but it might pose a cargo space issue if you wanted to pick up some drywall or plywood...
                              " I'm only going 4 miles, what could possibly go wrong if I take the spare out..." ha! ha!
                              No problem on the plywood,... the bed on the Gaucho one is only 44" wide inside (i.e. narrower than plywood), so lay down the spare on the bed floor and the plywood will lay on top of the bed rails. Then just strap it down and off you go. No problem at all

The bed on the Retro Wrangler one is 49" wide so the plywood goes inside.

Since my benchmark for the usefulness of a pickup is a 4x8 sheet, I designed both pickups to meet the benchmark.

Comment

Working...
                              X