Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Brute or not to Brute

Hey all,

First post and new to this forum. Some great info and projects going on here, man wish I would have known about this forum a while ago. Anyway, just want to ask a simple (maybe) question from those who have gone before.

To Brute or not to Brute.

Realizing the AEV kit is no longer, I would have to customize. But I am considering lengthening the frame of my '06 TJ, slapping on a supercharger for the 4.0L, and having an aluminum bed built. I'm really curious of what people actually think in terms of the pro's and cons of these conversions, and where, if at all, a standard TJ might actually excel over a Brute. I find it a critical question, because going back would be difficult..

Anyway, I'm excited to hear what you all think.

They make a good little pickup truck. Wish I would have gotten one sooner than I did. If I were to build something home built I would make a really nice flat bed. Some pictures for reference.

Mike
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A79E7585-C101-4762-AFE9-466DF82A5589.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	262286Click image for larger version

Name:	35AF5472-8A66-4860-8BC2-59358B835C12.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	262287Click image for larger version

Name:	7F8B6192-ECA3-4924-BC41-3252BBBBA2C4.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	262288

Comment

If you don't have the kit, I wouldn't. The homebrew ones just look...homebrewed. Maybe stretch your TJ like AEV use to do back in the day.
      "Don't wish for it,work for it."
      2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by forsakenfuture View Post
        If you don't have the kit, I wouldn't. The homebrew ones just look...homebrewed. Maybe stretch your TJ like AEV use to do back in the day.
        Thats more what I was thinking anyway. Not an actual Brute - I have no use for a standard 'bed' as I have a F350 for that. I would rather put on an alum bed with storage (simliar to a flatbed with side boxes and some bed space), than a 'brute' style bed. Mostly I'm looking toward the stretched frame w/bed from the perspective of a slightly longer wheelbase for stability and ride quality, and towing a small 2,000#'ish trailer, rather than hard core off road or a mini truck. Brute wheelbase seems to be a good compromise between wheelbase for more comfort/stability, but still shorter and narrower than a small truck. Something like an old Ranger would work, but I also just really love the platform, engine, trans, and aftermarket options of my TJ. I suppose I probably should have led with that in post 1 ha.

Comment

Here are a few ideas. If I don’t build a LJ with my stash of AEV parts I would do something like these. Get a half cab top from Gr8tops or cut down a factory hardtop.

Mike

Comment

Comment

Your other pictures aren't showing up :-( But, this is similar to what I would be considering. Maybe even a slightly longer wheelbase. Say, oh, 122" rather than 118 (brute), possibly 124" to include just a little behind the seat storage for things like jackets, or rain gear if its pouring out. The bed would need to be 6' 6" though, so certainly pushing the limits. I imagine it would basically end up to be a Jeep version of the Toyota FJ45.

Comment

Originally posted by LSRMike View Post
                Here are a few ideas. If I don’t build a LJ with my stash of AEV parts I would do something like these. Get a half cab top from Gr8tops or cut down a factory hardtop.

Mike

As someone metioned on another site that I have chatted with a few times, I would probably try and find a LJ frame I can cut and use so that the is only one weld seam behind the cab, and one behind the bed to extend frame enough for a rear winch (like the brute). But by using another frame entirely instead of installing 'extensions' it would remove the need for 2 seams. Just for durabliity I think.

Comment

I would just use a TJ frame personally. Have less of a hangover for departures. Kind of like how the AEV 112s were done. The Brute frame is seamed in three places. The initial stretch for the wheel base then the add on in the rear. I have the original instructions a can scan and send you if you want.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X