New 5.3 Brute project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adapters and media blasting

I am using adapters to make the wheels fit. Already have them with the wheels. Sorry for the omission. Anyone have an opinion regarding media blasting the body? The body shop guy told me I would be blasting off the corrosion resistance. Anyone heard of this?

Comment

Shouldn't need to media blast the body unless the donor Jeep is REALLY REALLY rough. I think he is correct. I remember reading about the sheetmetal going through a chemical dip to increase corrosion resistance prior to paint at the factory.

Chris
      Chris

2006 Rubicon Unlimited
      AEV Highline
      Nth Degree longarm

Comment

Don't do it. Repair damaged areas if needed. That black coating is also on the Jeep and its E-coating, very good for corrosion. Blasting it will cause all sorts of rust issues.

dh
        2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
        2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
        2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
        2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Brute update

At this point I have the frame coated with KBS, Gen Right fuel tank installed, JKS control arms and track bars mounted, front sway bar, and Fox shocks mounted. I picked up the axles this week from powder coating and they are currently at a shop being re-geared 4:88's and new internals. The plan from this point is to get the corvette fuel filter/regulator installed with an-6 fittings and ss wrapped fuel lines and main brake line mounted to the frame rails. Once I have a rolling chassis again I will get the tub mounted and then mock up the 5.3 and 4L60E. Once that is accomplished I will pull the engine and trans and send everything off to the body shop.

I am leaning toward sending the gauge cluster off to Redline Gauge Works and just do away with the factory ECM. That would allow the lockers to be used without restrictions and clean up the engine bay. No major timeline is set as powder days take priority this time of year.
          Attached Files

Comment

Please keep us updated !

Comment

Originally posted by dridgway View Post
              I think I will use the shortest Lokar shifter and have a shop with a CAD system make an aluminum plate with gear indicators in it to cover the factory shifter plate, assuming I can get the shifter in the same location. I have the Novak cable shifter kit for the t-case so that should be fine.
              Did you ever decide on this? I'm looking at the Lokar's right now trying to decide on length. 8" or 12". I'd like it to sit at stock height.

What size tires are you running? My CJ has 35's with 4:88 gears and it seems to be perfect all around gearing for the mountains where I live. I have not decided on changing the 4:10 gears out yet, but now is the time.
              I'm running 35's, too, and trying to decide if I can just regear the stock d35 or if I need to get something bigger now. I'll do it eventually.. just trying to figure out if it needs to be now. The JK D44 seems a good candidate. A reman'd 8.8, too. For gearing, I'm still not sure what to do. I've consulted some tables, but really they aren't useful since the trans is different, too (4l60e). Since you've done this a few times, now, what would you advise for gearing? The vast majority of the driving will be on road, and I will be taking in the highways a fair amount. Hard not to in this area.

Thanks for your input!
              Last edited by Kevin; 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Shifter and gears

I put 4:56's in my cj with a 5.3, 4l60e, and 35's. it's great in town, on the highway, and off road. 4:10's might work, but I live in the mountains so I am glad I did the 4:56's. I am putting 4:88's in my brute with 37's. Stock chevy z71's come with 3:73's or 4:10's with stock tires. that would be a good reference to use. i have not got the shifter yet, but the 8" is probably the right one.

Comment

Our newest Brute build will have 4.88's, 6.4 HEMI and expect to be running 37"s.

Ben
                  Ben Hedrick
                  www.BenHedrick.com
                  HEDRICK Speedsports

"Ive got a Jeep problem"
                  2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
                  2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
                  2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
                  2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
                  2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
                  2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute - Sold
                  2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
                  2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
                  2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon

Comment

I put 4:56's in my cj with a 5.3, 4l60e, and 35's. it's great in town, on the highway, and off road. 4:10's might work, but I live in the mountains so I am glad I did the 4:56's. I am putting 4:88's in my brute with 37's. Stock chevy z71's come with 3:73's or 4:10's with stock tires. that would be a good reference to use. i have not got the shifter yet, but the 8" is probably the right one.
                    Thanks! I re-read the thread and see now that you did mention your gearing earlier. I saw you got your axles coated.. which ones did you go with?
                    Last edited by Kevin; 01-10-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Stock 44's

I kept the stock 44's and air lockers, the reason I picked a rubicon. I bumped up to chromoly shafts for the front and rear and I had inner sleeves welded in the front tubes. I know some would say the 44's are not strong enough, but I have not trashed a pair yet with the same engine and tire combo, YET! When I do, Dana 60's will be used.

Comment

any updates?

Comment

Update

Just got the gears last week from a prolonged backorder. Should have a rolling chassis within a few weeks. Its been snowing, so skiing has taken my focus over the last several months.

Comment

Slow progress

More work has taken place: Wheels, tires, suspension, engine, trans, t-case, brakes, and the fuel tank is in. Hard to find time to get rolling on this project, but it is going well.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Why are you running wheel spacers?

Ben
                              Ben Hedrick
                              www.BenHedrick.com
                              HEDRICK Speedsports

"Ive got a Jeep problem"
                              2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
                              2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
                              2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
                              2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
                              2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
                              2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute - Sold
                              2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
                              2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
                              2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon

Comment

They look like they're increasing the BCD - to JK style 5x5" rather than TJ style 5x4.5" just to get the wheels he wanted - as they discussed earlier in the thread...

Dave had a good point - now if you're unlucky enough to blow through two tires, you can borrow a spare from a JK owner, or pull the adapter off and borrow a spare from a TJ owner.

If you're running TJ wheels, Might be a good idea to go halves on a pair of adapters with a friend and just have one each in the tool / spares bag, just incase you need to borrow a JK wheel. I might just do that. Especially as the JK's are more likely to have a tire of a similar size to my Highlined Jeep.
                                2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
                                AEV Highline Fender Conversion
                                AEV Brute Conversion Build Thread

www.oman4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                                X