• Show
Clear All

• JK Framed Brute on Portals

We started on my Brute last week. Specs are as follows:

AEV Brute
    Highline Kit
    5.7 Hemi
    JK Unlimited Frame
    Portaltek G3's (brought back to market by Torq Axle) with ARBS and RCV shafts
    Toyo 40x13.5x17 Open Country MT's
    Hutchinson FC Concept wheels in black

Dark Horse Customs in Bozeman, MT will be taking the lead on the build and as their past projects and AEV work shows, they are beyond capable

I'll flesh out the project and backstory when I get time, but for now I'll leave you with a few pictures of where we stand so far

The jeep started stock and was my daily driver all through college, we've been all over the country together and it was in sore need of an upgrade. I travel for work so I finally came home and rolled it out of storage and into DHC (Dark Horse Customs).

98 Brute
    Portal-Teks/ARB's/RCVs/CTIS
    Brute and Highline Kit
    5.7 Hemi
    Getrag 238 6 speed
    Rubicon 241
    40" Toyo's/Hutchinson FC Wheels
    JK Unlimited Frame
    Blah Blah Blah

97 F350 CCLB
    38" Toyo's on Hutchinsons
    Deavers/2.5" Kings/Long Travel Airbags
    ARB's/35 Spline Chromos

05 XR650R
    Street legal and RTW prepped

So as of tonight....

98 Brute
    Brute and Highline Kit
    5.7 Hemi
    Getrag 238 6 speed
    Rubicon 241
    JK Unlimited Frame
    Blah Blah Blah

97 F350 CCLB
    ARB's/35 Spline Chromos

05 XR650R

Comment

How quickly do you plan to progress through the frame work? I'm about to order a Brute kit and a fresh TJ frame from spare parts for my project as mine is a bit tweaked, but I'm interested to see how yours progresses...

Sounds like an epic spec sheet - can't wait to see it done
      2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
      AEV Highline Fender Conversion
      AEV Brute Conversion Build Thread

www.oman4x4.com

Comment

Subscribed!!!! Bad ass!! Brute on portals!!! I have been waiting for someone to grow a set and build one of these!! The axles alone would break my budget.

Please answer one question. I was told these things can't do highway speeds. Is this true? If so do you plan on trailering it everywhere?

On a side note I would love to hear your background story with this Jeep because it sounds similar to me (just not with a Jeep). In short, my CRX that's in my signature was my first new car I ever owned. My Mom co-signed for me and I bought it my Senior year of High School (1991-92). Its been everywhere with me, took my first date with my wife in that car, its seen many "ups and downs" in my life. At some point when I was starting my career the CRX went into storage and it sat for almost 10 years. I always knew when I had the means I would rebuild it.... and rebuild it the way Honda should have! In 2005 I spent way more money then my current Jeep project and built the most bad ass little CRX around. Your story is sounding like what I did..... very anxious to follow your build!!
        Last edited by jadkar; 02-07-2013, 06:25 AM.
        2012 JKU Arctic Edition 4.5" AEV / Clayton combo, 37" IROKs, ProRock 44, ARB Locked, + some stuff
        2006 BMW M6 - SMG
        2014 Acura MDX
        1990 Honda CRX Si bored / stroked / supercharged ITR

Comment

Very interesting... I'm really looking forward to seeing this build! And you can't post too many pictures of this build... Awesome!

Ben
          Ben Hedrick
          www.BenHedrick.com
          HEDRICK Speedsports

"Ive got a Jeep problem"
          2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
          2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
          2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
          2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
          2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
          2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute - Sold
          2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
          2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
          2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon

Comment

Can you provide some insight behind the jk frame? All you're keeping from the tj is the body and motor/trans/xcase? What about the fuel tank?

Comment

I have every intent of driving it highway speeds, the axle geometry can present some challenges with regards to handling but they are not the limiting factor for speed. The 404 Unimogs utilized some bushings (vs bearings)in the transmission and would overheat on extended highway travel which started a lot of that myth.

They can also create gearing issues because they are a 2.06:1 gear reduction at the hub. I've got 3.0:1 gears in the diffs right now, but I may go to a 2.5ish ratio to bring them to a more street friendly range.

I intend to drive it to Alaska and everywhere in between, its definitely not destined to be a trailer queen

We should start on the frame work next week, but I don't know how quickly it will be completed. It's a blank slate project whereas a brute can be scheduled. I would like to have the frame prepped by the end of the month but there are a lot of concurrent pieces coming together at once and I need the body closed out to do any good mockup.

As for the JK frame, all I'm keeping from the TJ really is the firewall and part of the tub. The frame will be built up with JK parts and a Hemi.

After a great conversation with Dave it turns out the JK unlimited wheelbase is 116", the brute is 117". The chassis rigidity of the JK is twice what the TJ is and to handle the power of the hemi combined with the leverage of the portals we needed something better than a stretched TJ frame. The additional wheelbase will be accounted for by changing the axle mounts combined with the 3.5" axle tubes moving the centerline rearward.

I originally intended to design a suspension for it, but after speaking at length with Drew Burroughs we decided to rely on the factory JK geometry with a few tweaks.

Back to the shop
              98 Brute
              Brute and Highline Kit
              5.7 Hemi
              Getrag 238 6 speed
              Rubicon 241
              JK Unlimited Frame
              Blah Blah Blah

97 F350 CCLB
              ARB's/35 Spline Chromos

05 XR650R

Comment

Oh man I can't wait to see the end result!!!!

Comment

For those wondering, I've never done it, but we looked at it extensively on the computer. Its almost as if the JK frame were made for the Brute Cab, very minor trimming on the inside front fenders and some body mounts are all it takes. The rear will be a bit more fabbing, but the rear of the JK frame rails sleeve over the TJ frame material perfectly, so the rear extension should be able to be cutup and made to work.

awesome project!

dh
                  2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                  2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                  2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                  2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

This is def my next Jeep project.

Jason
                    Jason De Monto
                    Trail Concepts
                    480-788-7245
                    2015 Jeep Rubicon
                    Baja Yellow
                    Dual Sport 106

Comment

Originally posted by Offroad Engineering View Post
                      I have every intent of driving it highway speeds, the axle geometry can present some challenges with regards to handling but they are not the limiting factor for speed. The 404 Unimogs utilized some bushings (vs bearings)in the transmission and would overheat on extended highway travel which started a lot of that myth.
                      So I guess I don't have my portals correct because I thought instantly of the Dynatrac portals and they specifically say....

Originally posted by Dynatrac
                      .......Realistically these new portal axles aren’t for everyone. They are not recommended for highway use, and the leverage of the portal design places additional stress on suspension mounting points and control arms. Electronic controls such as ESP and ABS cannot be retained with the portal boxes, as they can with Dynatrac’s traditional ProRock, Pro, and Trail Series axles.
                      So yours are not from Dynatrac??
                      Last edited by jadkar; 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM.
                      2012 JKU Arctic Edition 4.5" AEV / Clayton combo, 37" IROKs, ProRock 44, ARB Locked, + some stuff
                      2006 BMW M6 - SMG
                      2014 Acura MDX

Comment

Just because they are "not recommended for highway use" doesn't mean one *can't*.

It simply means that they don't want the liability of it. Especially KNOWING that you can't really get ABS and traction control type stuff to work with it. At least not easily.

--Donnie

Comment

Originally posted by djb_rh View Post
                          Just because they are "not recommended for highway use" doesn't mean one *can't*.

It simply means that they don't want the liability of it. Especially KNOWING that you can't really get ABS and traction control type stuff to work with it. At least not easily.

--Donnie
                          I thought of that too but one can't just assume, maybe there is a problem with the gear reduction unti spinning so fast. Have you ever had your truck in 4low and drive in 6th gear??? It sounds like something in the transfer case is gonna let go!! Lots of whinning. I would imagine the gear reduction assembly at 60-80mph much make some crazy noise as well, and get real hot.
                          2006 BMW M6 - SMG
                          2014 Acura MDX

Comment

Originally posted by jadkar View Post
                            I thought of that too but one can't just assume, maybe there is a problem with the gear reduction unti spinning so fast. Have you ever had your truck in 4low and drive in 6th gear??? It sounds like something in the transfer case is gonna let go!! Lots of whinning. I would imagine the gear reduction assembly at 60-80mph much make some crazy noise as well, and get real hot.
                            Sure, but also remember these axle assemblies were designed to handle much higher weight than he'll have. Lighten the load and you have a much nicer heat situation on your hands. Another problem with the heat as just getting rid of it...the drum brakes blocked air flow badly. But on anything that's converted to disk apparently the heat becomes much less of an issue, too.

40" tires will also help keep the axle RPMs down.

Would I run 80 in it? For short periods, but probably not long ones. 70? Probably. But like anything "new", I'd work my way up, stop to check temps occasionally with an infrared gauge, etc. For a little while, anyway.

--Donnie

Comment

subscribed this is going to be good.
                              2013 JKUR, 3.5"sc lift., Silver Pintlers, 35" Km2s, Front and rear bumpers, TF tire carrier, Rigid lights, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X