No announcement yet.

J8 frame package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of areas on the frame that are thicker, or reinforced with plates or another layer of steel over the frame rails.
    Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

I don't want or need to tow with my JK.
      08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
      Build thread: Here
      Lake Norman Crawlers

Comment

Theoretically speaking here but couldn't you build/buy a Jk8 kit (or already completed) truck and get to 90% of what Jeep offers in the vehicle overseas?

Beyond the jk8 kit you would need to add or delete the following items

1) remove jk8 hardtop
        2) add j8 military softtop
        3) add j8 military rollbars (or do they use stock rollbars and not use jk8 kit roof and bars)
        4) add portals and heavy duty suspension
        5) delete bulk of insulation and sound proofing
        6) strip out interior electronics in dash
        7) add those simple bumpers
        8) you could reinforce your normal JK frame if you want to tow a ton of gear
        9) biggie, but install diesel or other spec'd motor (or HEMI)
        10) the J8 has a stronger tailgate too according to another OP
        Last edited by lucky73; 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky73 View Post
          Theoretically speaking here but couldn't you build/buy a Jk8 kit (or already completed) truck and get to 90% of what Jeep offers in the vehicle overseas?
          Sure.
          What's your budget?

4) add portals and heavy duty suspension
          The Mopar Portals are $12,500 and $11,000 .. let's say you could do both and some suspension mods for $25k

9) biggie, but install diesel or other spec'd motor (or HEMI)
          4BT swaps are $20k, and the one company that was putting in 2.8 CRDs imported from wrecks around the world was charging $22k.

Let's say $20k for all the other stuff you list, and $20k for the base JKU and you're looking at $85k.

I'd love to see you do it!

-Dan
          Africa circumnavigation in a Jeep Wrangler @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
          --
          Follow: Facebook / YouTube
          --
          WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Comment

I was blown away by the portal prices and your # is spot on, so that's out for sure and the motor swap is more of a Want than a Need - especially since I would not be towing much. All that said to get a JK pickup and you really need is a JK8 kit and then re-work the J8 roll bars and floor panels back in no?

Comment

Working...
            X