Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 Lift Pulling Right

Need some help!

I just installed an AEV 2.5 Lift with the AEV Geometry Correction Brackets. Took my time and the install went smooth. Prior to the install the alignment was dead-on, no problems. After the install I noticed a slight pull to the right. I called AEV and the guy I talked to said that occasionally the alignment may go out of sync after the lift install but it was rare and I should rotate the tires and that might fix the problem. Well, I rotated the tires as suggested and now my pull to the right is much worse. I am also noticing an occasional creaking sound coming from the front right if I go up an incline while making a right turn (up a driveway, from the right). Anybody have any suggestions? Did I over torque my bolts? Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Ray
    2016 JKU Backcountry, AEV 2.5 Lift, AEV Bumpers, AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Originally posted by Visage View Post
    Need some help!

I just installed an AEV 2.5 Lift with the AEV Geometry Correction Brackets. Took my time and the install went smooth. Prior to the install the alignment was dead-on, no problems. After the install I noticed a slight pull to the right. I called AEV and the guy I talked to said that occasionally the alignment may go out of sync after the lift install but it was rare and I should rotate the tires and that might fix the problem. Well, I rotated the tires as suggested and now my pull to the right is much worse. I am also noticing an occasional creaking sound coming from the front right if I go up an incline while making a right turn (up a driveway, from the right). Anybody have any suggestions? Did I over torque my bolts? Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Ray
    2016 JKU Backcountry, AEV 2.5 Lift, AEV Bumpers, AEV Heat Reduction Hood
    You did the install yourself? Give us a call again. 248-926-0256 ext 228 and talk to Paul.
    Chris Holt
    Marketing Associate, AEV
    248-926-0256 x272
    cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

I just installed a 2.5 AEV on my new 2 door, went with the geo correction brackets and it has zero pull I can take my hands off the wheel and it stays straight.

Did you loosen all your control arms and front track bar? If not loosen every one with the weight on the jeep and rock it back and forth and then re-retorque everything while it is on the ground. Sounds like you might have some bind in the control arms. Some people forget to loosen every control arm bolt when installing lifts.

Comment

Was this ever resolved? My 3.5 does this too. Had it lined up at jeep dealer.. its with in specs. But still has slight pull to right.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Adams View Post
          Was this ever resolved? My 3.5 does this too. Had it lined up at jeep dealer.. its with in specs. But still has slight pull to right.
          Mine did the exact same thing. Had a local shop adjust the caster slightly on the right side after an alignment. No more pulling.

Comment

How did they adjust caster on only the right side of your axle ?

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead5 View Post
              How did they adjust caster on only the right side of your axle ?
              Good question...I'll ask them.

Comment

maybe they used a different geo bracket hole, not sure it that would be good or not. Or maybe he has cam adjusters not great either. Or maybe they just adjusted his toe....

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
                  maybe they used a different geo bracket hole, not sure it that would be good or not. Or maybe he has cam adjusters not great either. Or maybe they just adjusted his toe....
                  Nope...no toe adjustment. Directly from the guys at Moab Offroad in Louisville, KY..."we adjusted it using the cams". I asked him if it could be done independent of one another and he said yes, if I had adjustable control arms (which I do not). So I assume they misspoke and they did, in fact, adjust the caster on both sides. All I know is that it tracks straight and true, and that makes me a happy camper.

Comment

if you have cam adjusters they can easily do it independently. make sure you keep the control arm bolts tight as cam adjusters have a habit of moving if at under torqued.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
                      if you have cam adjusters they can easily do it independently. make sure you keep the control arm bolts tight as cam adjusters have a habit of moving if at under torqued.
                      Thanks Jeff...good to know!

Comment

WRONG !! That only will adjust the total caster on both sides . It does not allow
                        for one side only because it is a fixed axle. Now if you have an offset ball joint or something like that you could do side to side but the dana44 is a fixed axle.

I was holding a quiz .

Comment

So, I took my rig into Firestone for an alignment and the tech called me after it was on the rack and told me the alignment was almost spot-on to manufactures specs. I was told that the Pulling problem was more than likely being caused by the tires, they call it a "radial pull." This is probably being caused because the dealer incorrectly rotated my spare to the wrong side. Kind of makes sense and I plan on switching the tires around to see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead5 View Post
                            WRONG !! That only will adjust the total caster on both sides . It does not allow
                            for one side only because it is a fixed axle. Now if you have an offset ball joint or something like that you could do side to side but the dana44 is a fixed axle.

I was holding a quiz .
                            Well, being a relatively new (26 months/16,000 mile) JKU owner, I learned something the hard way. I was wheeling in the desert, and I hit a hole. I hit it hard. Really hard. And when I got out onto the blacktop road, my steering was cocked to the right. The next day I got it aligned and all was well.

A few weeks later someone asked me if I had changed out the bolts in my control arms and track bars? HUH??? It seems that the lower control arms and track bars are drilled for 9/16 bolts, but JEEP fills the holes with 14mm bolts. And there is some slop. So I got the bolts and tried to make the change. The rear end went well. The front end, not so much. The old bolts came out, but the new bolts wouldn't go in. I called my son (more experienced) and he came over with his ratchet-straps. We pulled and played with the front axle and got it all together with the new bolts. And in the following test drive..... the steering wheel was again cocked - in the opposite direction. Back we went for another alignment.

If your JK/JKU has the stock 14mm bolts, it is possible that your alignment is off because the bolt to hole slop has allowed it to shift. This is especially possible of you have never checked that all was torqued to spec or you took a hit as I did.

I offer this as my experience. I make no claim that this is your problem, only that it was mine, and it has since been corrected. Fortunately, I fixed it before it became a bigger problem. I have heard of JEEPs that have had those bolts loosen and cause the bolt holes to be worn larger and larger. Once that happened, death wobble became a real nightmare.

Good luck, however it shakes out for you. (no pun intended).

Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

Comment

Working...
                            X