Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone go from 3.5 to 2.5 on JKU?

Hello AEV jeepers!

Been contemplating this one. My JKU Hard Rock has the 3.5 installed but my wife thinks it's way too high (we're pretty short people). I can either go to a 2.5 (and lose money on the 3.5 after parting it out), or I was thinking that maybe if I add a winch that would settle it down by about 1/2" maybe? I've read that adding some weight will drop the height down. How true is this? Or should I just go to the 2.5 and be done with it. Note that since it's a HR, it already has the heavier bumper. Any advice?

BTW, I have 315/70/17 KO2s on 17" AEV pintlers.

thanks!
    Dexter
    Attached Files

just run an ad on your local craigslist you will easily find someone who wants to swap their 2.5 for it. if it was a 2 door I would drive to Washington and make the swap and I would do the labor. I personally am not real happy with the 2.5 offroad (its great on road and on easier trails).

Also yours looks fairly light so adding a winch and heavier rear bumpers and skids etc will lower it a bit altho not as much as going to a 2.5" lift.

oh it looks great by the way as it is.

Comment

also I forgot add a set of grabars that really helps. my wife is 5'3" and that made a world of difference compared to the floppy straps.

Comment

1st world problems lol. That Jeep looks sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
          also I forgot add a set of grabars that really helps. my wife is 5'3" and that made a world of difference compared to the floppy straps.
          Jeff - which bars did you add?

Comment

Grabars. They work great.

Comment

What about a set of AMP power steps?

Comment

did you replace the factory hard rock edition step/rock rails?
                Hard to tell in your photos, but looks that way.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have installed the AMP powerstep which helps a lot. I think my wife thinks it's too high because she drove it once and felt it was hard to drive. Last night I loaded up the jeep with the whole family and drove on the freeway under rain and wind. I was pleasantly surprised at how more stable it felt. I attribute this to the added weight. I don't think I will switch to a 2.5 after this. I really like the stance as it is. I will probably add a winch and some armor to get ready for spring and hopefully this makes it more stable.

Comment

Tire carrier

Consider adding the AEV tire carrier for rear weight. The HR rear bumper should have the cut out for it.
                    2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
                    2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
                    2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
                    1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
                    2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Comment

In the last 2 weeks I have replaced my 2.5 with the 3.5. I had the opposite issue. I then put the 2.5 on my dads stock JKU

Too much weight on my 2.5 so it started to sage. Winch and 3rd row seat will bring the jeep down, along with stock side rails with ACE rock guards. along with AEV Premium bumper, rear bumper and Teraflex HD tire carrier.

I also purchased some grab bars from Carolina Metal Masters that my wife loves.

https://www.carolinametalmasters.com...t-grab-handles

The 2.5 is a nice ride and is sitting well on my dads stock JKU with 315/70/17.
                      He bought this collapsable step stool for his wife.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeronic-11-In...llapsible+step

Comment

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 2016 white Hard Rock just don't have the pintler Wheels like you do on it. but do have a warn Zeon 10 in my front bumper and it does not go down that much along with a belly skid plate for oil pan and transmission. I just finished my lift on Sunday night and had it lined up yesterday waiting on my AEV tire carrier to arrive so I can bring it down in the back a little. My wife is also five-foot-tall she has problems getting in it. But I would not trade out for a 2.5

Comment

Here is a couple shots
                          Attached Files

Comment

I would stick with the 3.5" lift if you can. The 3.5" DualSport Suspension with 35" tires offers the best geometry that we can offer. I could recommend adding a winch and AEV Tire Carrier to help settle the weight in the back as well. To aide in getting in and out of the lifted Jeep, you can add some Grabars or other grab handles and/or Amp Research Power Steps like we add on most of our Prospector (XL) builds to help people get in and out.
                            Chris Holt
                            Marketing Associate, AEV
                            248-926-0256 x272
                            cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

So I did decide to downgrade to the 2.5 and I'm really liking the lower stance. Wife is also happy now.

They did remove everything from the 3.5 kit except for the Geometry Correction brackets. They also did not bother replacing the rear sway bar as it's still in the box. Anyway, I'm posting at the buy/sell forum the 3.5 kit which is about 3 months old for sale in the Seattle area if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X