Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AEV 4.5" LIft 37" tires as a fun Vehicle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I might be looking at the wrong driveshaft from Mopar but the ones I've found on line seem to be more expensive then the Adams or Tom Woods.

    Comment


    • #17
      Also thinking of have the dealership just regear it right away. Seems like 4.88 and 37" are the way to go if not just for off roading?

      Comment


      • #18
        Now doing more research it looks like I'm leaning more towards 4.56 gears for the better highway matters.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by redrockjk View Post
          I would highly suggest not doing 37s and 3.73s. You will hate driving the jeep. You won't even use OD and the jeep will be pretty gutless aswell.

          And if you don't plan on upgrading axles I would also highly suggest you sleeve and gusset that front axle even if you don't plan to Offroad the jeep. I see 3-4 jeeps a month with bent front axles that the owner claims the jeep has never been off the pavement.

          If you do plan on spending the money and time on sleeve, gusseting and gearing your stock axles you would be money ahead just buying a set of new 4:10 Rubicon axles. I have customers that do that often as you get 4.10 gears, lockers and over all bigger axles in one shot. Plus you can get $2000 for your old axles.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Can you share how you diagnosis a bent axle?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by donjku View Post
            Can you share how you diagnosis a bent axle?


            If you have a trained eye you can spot one from a mile away just in the way the tire sits. Otherwise the upper C will look bent. Sometimes a straight edge on the pass side axle tube. Also obviously an Alignment machine will show that too


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by donjku View Post
              Can you share how you diagnosis a bent axle?


              Here's a great example

              Photo for reference:


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by redrockjk View Post
                Here's a great example

                Photo for reference:


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Could that also be caused by the ball joints being worn-out from larger tires?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by redrockjk View Post
                  If you have a trained eye you can spot one from a mile away just in the way the tire sits. Otherwise the upper C will look bent. Sometimes a straight edge on the pass side axle tube. Also obviously an Alignment machine will show that too


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  What would the alignment machine show? Camber out of spec?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Combs19 View Post
                    Could that also be caused by the ball joints being worn-out from larger tires?


                    Oh yes that is also very common but this particular jeep that's in the picture has a bent axle as I drove it just before it was bent. Typically ball joints that are wore out that bad similar to the picture are very high mileage units


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by donjku View Post
                      What would the alignment machine show? Camber out of spec?
                      Yup.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by donjku View Post
                        What would the alignment machine show? Camber out of spec?


                        Yes it sure will. It's really the only tried and true place to get a camber spec


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by redrockjk View Post
                          Yes it sure will. It's really the only tried and true place to get a camber spec


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The problem I have with using that to diagnose a bent axle is that I have taken multiple BRAND new JKURs to get an alignment, and ALL of them were out of camber spec from the factory. I am pretty convinced they weld the damn Cs on out of spec. I have seen it too many times.

                          And I have monitored the camber specs over the life of the JKURs with 37s and stock axles. The camber specs never changed more than one degree up and down. And these are JKURs that are wheeled all over CO and UT.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Agree . When I got my Jeep I immediately put it on our alignment rack and it was at the negative end of the camber spectrum . BRAND NEW ! Now after 3 years of moderate wheeling it's still in the same place . Figuring out what people consider to be excessive negative camber can be tricky without a baseline starting point. It can be bent c's , axle tubes, worn out ball joints or that's just the way it was built .

                            To tell you the truth unless something is radically worn out or wrong I don't sweat it too much.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              So do installing sleeves and "C" gussets like the ones from Teraflex not help with running 37" on a dana 30 front end? Seems like cheap insurance if I'm already in there getting regeared or is it a waste of money?
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Combs19 View Post
                                So do installing sleeves and "C" gussets like the ones from Teraflex not help with running 37" on a dana 30 front end? Seems like cheap insurance if I'm already in there getting regeared or is it a waste of money?


                                I would buy those to put in the Dana 44 rubicon axles that you should swap into your jeep


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X