Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AEV 4.5" LIft 37" tires as a fun Vehicle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redrockjk View Post
    I would buy those to put in the Dana 44 rubicon axles that you should swap into your jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately a Dana 44 isn't in card right now just want to get the most out of what I got.

Comment

Originally posted by Combs19 View Post
      So do installing sleeves and "C" gussets like the ones from Teraflex not help with running 37" on a dana 30 front end? Seems like cheap insurance if I'm already in there getting regeared or is it a waste of money?
      IMO, both are a waste of money.

Some people are coming to the conclusion that sleeves can actually weaken not strengthen the axle tube. It just moves the failure point. But before we go down that rabbit hole, do you NEED to reinforce your axle? The depends on how you intend to use your jeep.

Knowledgeable people have concluded that the most common cause of axle tubing bending is jumping your jeep or at least getting the front end off the ground. I suppose if you wanted to be really conservative you could include high speed woops (dips in the trail) that compress the front springs hard into the bump stops. This type of driving can bend axle tubes.

For your use case, if you plan on hauling ass down those MN fire roads at 60 to 80 MPH, then you need to start thinking about axle reinforcement / upgrade. If you plan to drive down those roads at reasonable speeds, then you don't. If you find some area to crawl over some rocks at low speeds, this will NOT bend your axle tubes, contrary to what the internet tells you.

As for C reinforcement, my personal opinion is that this is a product created by the misconception that out of spec camber is caused by bending the Cs. After all, it does seem logical, right? However, as has been stated above, the axles come from the factory with the camber close to or even out of spec for camber. My theory is a lot of people thing they bent their Cs, when in fact the jeep camber specs have not changed since the day it rolled off the assembly line. They never checked so they assumed the camber was dead center of the range to begin with. Not so.

Axles and C do not bend merely at the sight of 37" tires. You have to look at how you intend to use the Jeep.

Comment

have fun

go for it
        Last edited by lucky73; 04-07-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donjku View Post
          IMO, both are a waste of money.

Some people are coming to the conclusion that sleeves can actually weaken not strengthen the axle tube. It just moves the failure point. But before we go down that rabbit hole, do you NEED to reinforce your axle? The depends on how you intend to use your jeep.

Knowledgeable people have concluded that the most common cause of axle tubing bending is jumping your jeep or at least getting the front end off the ground. I suppose if you wanted to be really conservative you could include high speed woops (dips in the trail) that compress the front springs hard into the bump stops. This type of driving can bend axle tubes.

For your use case, if you plan on hauling ass down those MN fire roads at 60 to 80 MPH, then you need to start thinking about axle reinforcement / upgrade. If you plan to drive down those roads at reasonable speeds, then you don't. If you find some area to crawl over some rocks at low speeds, this will NOT bend your axle tubes, contrary to what the internet tells you.

As for C reinforcement, my personal opinion is that this is a product created by the misconception that out of spec camber is caused by bending the Cs. After all, it does seem logical, right? However, as has been stated above, the axles come from the factory with the camber close to or even out of spec for camber. My theory is a lot of people thing they bent their Cs, when in fact the jeep camber specs have not changed since the day it rolled off the assembly line. They never checked so they assumed the camber was dead center of the range to begin with. Not so.

Axles and C do not bend merely at the sight of 37" tires. You have to look at how you intend to use the Jeep.
          Thanks for that info it really help! I think I'll just regeared to 4.88 and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky73 View Post
            I was thinking 35s and AEV 2.5 XT would be more suitable here.
            Seeing its not my daily driver. If it was I might do that but since its not I'm still thinking 4.5" lift with 37" Nitto Ridge Grappler's on 17" Fuel Trophy rims. Also just going to have the dealer regeared to 4.88 and most likely order up the Teraflex big brake disc kits front and rear.

Comment

have fun

go for it

40s!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

I ended up ordering a 4.5" AEV lift, Teraflex exhaust spacers, Sota offroad SSD 17X8.5 -6 offset with optional removable bead lock on 37"x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grappler's. Also having the dealership regeared it to 4.88 before I pick it up next week.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

I ended up ordering a 4.5" AEV lift, Teraflex exhaust spacers, Sota offroad SSD 17X8.5 -6 offset with optional removable bead lock on 37"x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grappler's. Also having the dealership regeared it to 4.88 before I pick it up next week.

What dealer ended up doing the build? We (Park Jeep) are the only AEV dealer in the area and would have loved to build that one. I personally just finished a 16 Rubicon Hardrock with a AEV DS 4.5, 4.56s, Raceline simulated beadlocks and nitto trail grapplers

Comment

What dealer ended up doing the build? We (Park Jeep) are the only AEV dealer in the area and would have loved to build that one. I personally just finished a 16 Rubicon Hardrock with a AEV DS 4.5, 4.56s, Raceline simulated beadlocks and nitto trail grapplers

Awesome looking Jeep! That gets me pumped to install my lift and tires. I order the Wrangler from Coon Rapids Jeep and should arrive from the factory next week some time. I'm only having the dealership regear it to 4.88 before I pick it up. I ordered the 4.5" AEV lift, 37" tires, and Teraflex big rotor kit for the front and rear off line and plan to install it in my garage. Do you have any other recommendations for upgrades while I'm doing the installation since it looks like you have done a few of these? Also are those 37" tires in the pics above?

Comment

Awesome looking Jeep! That gets me pumped to install my lift and tires. I order the Wrangler from Coon Rapids Jeep and should arrive from the factory next week some time. I'm only having the dealership regear it to 4.88 before I pick it up. I ordered the 4.5" AEV lift, 37" tires, and Teraflex big rotor kit for the front and rear off line and plan to install it in my garage. Do you have any other recommendations for upgrades while I'm doing the installation since it looks like you have done a few of these? Also are those 37" tires in the pics above?

Yes those are 37s. I would use caution having the dealer re-gear as most normal dealer techs don't have the experience/know how needed to properly re-gear one of these to a lower gear. Most techs only have experience rebuilding differentials with stock parts. Also most dealers would have no idea what a good gear set is for these and will probably be apt to buy the cheapest they can find which will only be issue for you down the road.

I'd be interest in what they are going to charge you to do the re-gear? I'm betting on the $2000-2500 range. Again I highly recommend spending that money on rubicon Dana 44 axles with 4.10 gears (which are just fine for 37s in Minnesota). I just did this exact swap on a customer's vehicle two weeks ago and he ended up only paying out-of-pocket about 2500 bucks all said and done once he sold his stock axles. You can find a set a Dana 44 Rubicon axles on eBay from a company out in Michigan for like 45 or $4800 shipped. In the end I think you would be much happier with Rubicon axles as you would gain an electric locker plus the 410 years plus heavier duty axle shafts front and rear to turn those 37 is even if you are just doing minor wheeling.

I'll pm you my phone number if you have any questions about this.

Comment

Yes those are 37s. I would use caution having the dealer re-gear as most normal dealer techs don't have the experience/know how needed to properly re-gear one of these to a lower gear. Most techs only have experience rebuilding differentials with stock parts. Also most dealers would have no idea what a good gear set is for these and will probably be apt to buy the cheapest they can find which will only be issue for you down the road.

I'd be interest in what they are going to charge you to do the re-gear? I'm betting on the $2000-2500 range. Again I highly recommend spending that money on rubicon Dana 44 axles with 4.10 gears (which are just fine for 37s in Minnesota). I just did this exact swap on a customer's vehicle two weeks ago and he ended up only paying out-of-pocket about 2500 bucks all said and done once he sold his stock axles. You can find a set a Dana 44 Rubicon axles on eBay from a company out in Michigan for like 45 or $4800 shipped. In the end I think you would be much happier with Rubicon axles as you would gain an electric locker plus the 410 years plus heavier duty axle shafts front and rear to turn those 37 is even if you are just doing minor wheeling.

Redrockjk
                        You have a PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by FIRE UP View Post
                          Redrockjk

You have a PM.

Scott

Sorry my pms aren't working real well. I pmd you back with my phone number so we can discuss

Comment

Thanks for the help it looks like your PM is full. I ended up changing it up and now going with 4.56 gear.

Comment

Working...
                            X