AEV Diff Cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV Diff Cover

I put AEV diff covers on using the included bolts and LubeLocker brand gaskets. The bolts loosen to the point of dripping diff oil every 200 miles. I have tightened them four times now and half of them will be only finger tight. I keep increasing the torque and am now nearing 40 lb/ft.

Any ideas?

use blue Loctite. clean the holes and the threads so there is no oil on or in the threads. I would be careful going too high on torq. I now people love lube lockers but I would use rvt and you wont leak.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I've never used Loctite on diff cover bolts or worried about cleaning oil off the threads but don't mind going that route. I'm just curious why I would need to go to these lengths if anyone has any ideas.

Comment

Silverton,

I had the same issue over the Moab trip (as you know).

I loctite-d them, and so far I've been good... however, there is something up for use with the AEV covers and the lube lockers...

they certainly do take a beating though!
        2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
        2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2

Comment

I had the same issue with My AEV rear diff cover with lube locker gasket. I upped the torque to 27 ft/lbs and have been ok, but I might go the blue locktite route next fluid change. If that doesn't work I'll pull the gaskets and go RTV

Comment

AEV Diff Cover

Originally posted by Silverton34 View Post
            I put AEV diff covers on using the included bolts and LubeLocker brand gaskets. The bolts loosen to the point of dripping diff oil every 200 miles. I have tightened them four times now and half of them will be only finger tight. I keep increasing the torque and am now nearing 40 lb/ft.

Any ideas?

I went with rtv to start with front and rear and have never had a problem. I change diff oil often as I wheel in the water a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm still fighting these loose bolts. Was good for a thousand miles with red locktite but now leaking like crazy. Bolts back out nearly a full turn in two hours on the trail. Will better bolts help?

Comment

I would ditch the lubelockers and just use rvt.

Comment

I have the same issue with just my rear and to top two driver side bolts. But it takes a few thousand miles for them to back out. I marked the bolt and cover so I can visually see in a quick glance if they are moving. I thought about ditching the lube locker but then I have to pull these off again. I think I'll just keep an eye on the marks for movement.

Comment

Anyone know the exact size of the grub/set screws for the fill ports? My rear ones are getting slightly stripped...I think road salt is making them a little soft.

Comment

Working...
                    X