AEV Rear w/ GOBI Rack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg:
    Thanks! Yes - I like the look of the matching fenders. It gives the jeep the appearance of a wider stance. I had to buy OE Sahara flares as the Rubi flares don't take paint well.

SummitJeep:
    Hopefully Gobi will come up with a no drill option. I had the guys at OK4WD in NJ look at it for a good week. They are excellent fabricators and didn't think there was an inside the bumper option without cutting out the water tanks. They had a plan for a clamp mount to the round piping but I didn't like the idea of the bracket on the outside of the bumper. Maybe Gobi and AEV will eventually come up with something workable though.

Tom

Comment

Can the tanks hold the load

Why is it a bad idea or not possible to attach something similar to the standard rear support towers but without the hypotenuse side of the triangle on the standard support plate and then disburse the weight on the bumper/water tanks with something under the rear support towers (e.g. square or rectangular piece of rubber). AEV says the tanks are strong. I stood on them and jumped up and down. They sure seem like they can handle some weight. I am no engineer and never fabricated anything. I am just trying to salvage my investment. Does this even seem possible?

Comment

Originally posted by JKChuck View Post
        Why is it a bad idea or not possible to attach something similar to the standard rear support towers but without the hypotenuse side of the triangle on the standard support plate and then disburse the weight on the bumper/water tanks with something under the rear support towers (e.g. square or rectangular piece of rubber). AEV says the tanks are strong. I stood on them and jumped up and down. They sure seem like they can handle some weight. I am no engineer and never fabricated anything. I am just trying to salvage my investment. Does this even seem possible?
        I think that there is so much variance between Jeeps due to build tolerances they don't want to design one to be supported by the tanks because one may fit tightly against the tanks and be fine, the next one may have a 1" space and not have the proper support, and the third may not allow the bumper to fit onto the JK.
        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
        4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Its never a great idea to attach an accessory to the body and the frame because they move independently. The roof rack can probably deal with it best since its relatively long span from the windshield to the rear frame section and the rack by its very nature is not torsionally stiff. In reality attaching to the corners is probably better than where they had it to begin with from a purely technical standpoint. Both solutions are workable, but this one looks decent. My only concern with either is that the mounting point is down low in both the front and rear, so any weight up top on the rack has a large lever arm to stress the bolts. My guess would be that it will be fine with lighter loads and normal use.

For really heavy duty expedition use (hundreds of rough miles with a lot of weight at speed) I don't see getting around using the sportbar to mount a rack.

dh
          2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
          2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
          2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

I personally think the best option would be to install the GOBI rack to the AEV corner guards w/ the rails. Although AEV has not released that version of corner guards yet. Thats what im waiting on...

Comment

Any update on a no drill solution?

Comment

Originally posted by utjeeper View Post
                Any update on a no drill solution?
                I can tell you that there will NOT be an updated mount to be compatible with the rear AEV bumper. There just isn't enough room in there with the water tanks/ mounting hardware for the bumper. GOBI went though a few different designs and the only one that worked is the drilled in application.

If you want to use the two products together, my suggestion (as already posted) purchase the AEV corner guards and use the shown drill in mount.

With the backing plate that GOBI includes and the AEV corner guards, that GOBI mount is very secure and won't be going anywhere.

If you have more GOBI related questions, please let me know and I can help out.
                16 RAM 2500 Power Wagon on 37"KO2's
                TAIL RATED

Comment

I am also interested in the Gobi AEV combo.

This is wwhat is holding me up on my bumper replacement.. Like the AEV ones but might have to go with another brand. I believe the Gobi rack is the best out there and AEV has great products.

Comment

Have you seen the photo of the JK with AEV rear bumper and GOBI rack installed on the GOBI web site? It is in their photos area. It looks like it is attached to the frame, but hard to tell by the photo.
                    Did someone come up with a way to mount to the frame? Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mtntrekker View Post
                      Have you seen the photo of the JK with AEV rear bumper and GOBI rack installed on the GOBI web site? It is in their photos area. It looks like it is attached to the frame, but hard to tell by the photo.
                      Did someone come up with a way to mount to the frame? Curious.
                      I will find out in the AM as I will be up there again. I do quite a few projects/ sell their racks as well. Feel free to email with Q's. tim@expedtionhardware.com
                      TAIL RATED

Comment

Originally posted by Timgco View Post
                        I will find out in the AM as I will be up there again. I do quite a few projects/ sell their racks as well. Feel free to email with Q's. tim@expedtionhardware.com
                        ADD:

The owner of this truck is in Germany from what GOBI told me. There is no updated bracket that is compatible with the AEV bumper with a NO drill design. So if you want this rack/ bumper combo, you will have to modify the bumper. The way the GOBi brackets mounts, there is no room in there. The drill design mount sup higher on the body so you can use both...but you have to drill and the use of corner guards (such as the AEV ones) is the way to go for that extra support through the body.
                        TAIL RATED

Comment

Tim,

Thank you for checking this photo out for me. Looks like the only solution is what you have pointed out and as stated on this thread.
                          I may just go with the AEV tire carrier and retain the stock bumper to be able to add a GOBI roof rack down the road.

Comment

Updates

Any updates on this? Still no solution? Will Gobi provide these brackets if you already have a rack? Any cost estimates?

Do these use nut-serts or do you drill all the way through the body?

Comment

anybody?? I have a gobi coming.......got to make it work! 2 great product need to work together

Comment

It looks like there will not be a better solution then the one seen on page 2, which requires drilling into your rear quarters. With an AEV roof rack in the works, I doubt they would solve this problem with a rear bumper redesign, that would just be a poor business move.

Comment

Working...
                                X