Front Control Arm Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Control Arm Bracket

With the new front control arm bracket being announced, what is your recomendations for the front upper passenger side control arm bolt? Cut it off, and replace it, or raise the engine a few inches to remove it? I know that the front lower shock bolts are the same diameter, and thread pitch, but it seems like they are 10mm shorter than the stock upper bolts, so I don't know if it would be long enough to use as a replacement.
    Last edited by JeepinJon; 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM.
    Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

I saw this today as well. My 3.5 premium kit went on last year (with cam bolts) can I install this new upgrade now even though I knocked open the holes for cam bolts?

If I cannot then that will be too bad. Does anyone have the answer to this?

New Geometery Correction Front Control Arm Brackets for JK - Want to Increase Ride Quality, Improve Braking and Eliminate Cam Bolts?

I tried to call AEV today but nobody ever answered the phone today...must be busy.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
      With the new front control arm bracket being announced, what is your recomendations for the front upper passenger side control arm bolt? Cut it off, and replace it, or raise the engine a few inches to remove it? I know that the front lower shock bolts are the same diameter, and thread pitch, but it seems like they are 10mm shorter than the stock upper bolts, so I don't know if it would be long enough to use as a replacement.
      I picked up my lift today. Hopefully will have time to install it this weekend. I'll let you know what I find with the new brackets; I had assumed we would still need to cut that bolt off and replace it.

Can't wait to have my lift on.
      Curtis - 2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon Silver with 3.5 AEV lift, AEV Tire Carrier, Savegre Wheels and 35" MTRs w/ Kevlar - Former 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie 4 door - Former 2002 TJ with 33s.

Comment

I spoke with Mike today about this. Even though my lift is already installed and have used cam bolts, the new brackets will work as long as the knock outs aren't opened too much (too much play). I ordered the kit today...

Comment

In the description I read it only references the 3.5" kit. Do these brackets apply the correct caster settings for a 4.5" kit?

I'm slightly concerned about this orphan bolt that referenced in this thread. Is there an installation PDF available?

EDIT...
          I just checked the underside of my JK and I'm a bit confused about the statement made about the upper, passenger side bolt. The bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame seem to be fairly easy to remove. Am I missing something or are you guys referring to a different bolt?

Thanks.
          Last edited by MaloCS; 04-09-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The catalytic converter is so close to the front passenger side upper control arm bolt that you can't slide it out. There are a few ways around this. You can cut and replace the bolt (how most suspensions are handling this), you can remove the exhaust from the headers to get a few inches of clearance, or you can remove you passenger side motor mount bolts and jack up the engine for a few extra inches.

I know that Poly Performance makes a washer designed specifically for people with the cam bolts. It will sit between the recesses snugly so they can't move, and allow you to use a standard bolt without the traditional welding a washer in.
            Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
            4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Okay... just got off the phone with a friend and we worked through my confusion.

When I purchased my JK it was lifted with the Rancho Sport kit. This kit has drop brackets very similar to what AEV is releasing. After closely inspecting the bolt it's apparent that it is an after market bolt and not the OEM bolt. The bolt you guys are referring to was apparently cut off during the installation of my Rancho kit so I should be good to go.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by MaloCS View Post
                In the description I read it only references the 3.5" kit. Do these brackets apply the correct caster settings for a 4.5" kit?

I'm slightly concerned about this orphan bolt that referenced in this thread. Is there an installation PDF available?

EDIT...
                I just checked the underside of my JK and I'm a bit confused about the statement made about the upper, passenger side bolt. The bolts securing the upper control arms to the frame seem to be fairly easy to remove. Am I missing something or are you guys referring to a different bolt?

Thanks.
                The newsletter indicates that the brackets work for both the 3.5 and 4.5" lift kits, premium and standard.

Comment

Originally posted by btircuit View Post
                  I spoke with Mike today about this. Even though my lift is already installed and have used cam bolts, the new brackets will work as long as the knock outs aren't opened too much (too much play). I ordered the kit today...
                  Keep us posted. I dont like the statement "as long the knock outs aren't opened too much" Seems a bit unsure.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Just to clear a few things up:

On the performance:
                    There have been a few "internet suspension engineers" that have stated we just copied the Rancho kit. While it is true that Rancho has had some JK drop brackets for a while, and Dick Cepek and Superlift and even Nth Degree for TJs before them, we didn't copy them because its certainly not a new idea. What we did was take the concept of dropping the control arms and with careful engineering fix issues that every suspension with the stock mounting points has, as well as add in some performance for ride quality and braking. If you look at the Rancho kit, its clear that they lowered all the control arms back to near stock geometry which will improve the ride quality and probably fixes the castor issue, but they didn't take full advantage of what was possible with drop brackets. The AEV kit has lowered the lower arms slightly and the upper arms drastically. What this does:
                    • Improve front impact ride quality (expansion joints, ledges)
                    • Increase Anti-Dive for improved braking performance
                    • Decrease the operating angle range of the front driveshaft
                    • Eliminate the need for adjustable control arms or cam bolts for caster correction

Improve front impact ride quality (expansion joints, ledges) – By reducing the operating angle of the front control arms, the suspension is allowed to work in a more natural state. This means that when hitting a bump, the force applied to the control arms is directed up into the springs instead of back directly into the frame. In effect an AEV 3.5” lifted JK “thinks” its lifted only 1.25”.

Change the instant center to increase Anti-Dive for improved braking performance – By increasing the anti-dive geometry of the suspension, you’ll notice the front of the vehicle will barely drop under hard braking when the control arm brackets are used. By increasing force on the front wheels, traction is increased for better straight line braking and by reducing the shifting weight and inertia under braking in curves, handling is greatly improved.

Decrease the operating angle range of the front driveshaft – This one is often overlooked. Aftermarket double cardan joints do not have the torque rating (1850lb/ft for t a 1310 double cardan, 2150 lb/ft for the OE CV Joint) and they can’t run as smoothly so its advantageous for most JK use to keep the stock CV units. The Front Control Arm Brackets rotate the pinion up as the axle drops to eliminate torn boots on the CV for long life with a lifted application. In fact the driveshaft now drops up to an inch less than without the brackets.

Eliminate the need for adjustable control arms or cam bolts for caster correction - We’ve been touting the benefits of using the stock control arms for a long time because of the pre-loaded rubber OE Bushings that the factory uses, and because that quality has yet to be rivaled in any aftermarket bushing. These new brackets allow for the proper caster ranges to be achieved.

Ground Clearance - Yes the brackets hang down under the frame, however in real world usage the benefits clearly out way the slight loss in clearance. The brackets are designed to take hits and are shaped in such a way to not create a hangup point. If you compare to virtually every "long arm" kit on the market, the loss in clearance is similar.

Some thoughts on actual installation:
                    1. The OE bolts should be facing the right direction to pull them out easily, if someone installed them in backwards, the easiest solution is to loosen them enough to get a Sawzall under the head of the bolt and cut them off.
                    2. If you've already installed cam bolts, the kits will be coming with oversized washers to recenter the holes for the new (also included bolts). Just remove the cam bolts and install the new bolts and washers.
                    3. If you plan to install these with any other springs than AEV, you'll need to measure the height of the vehicle BEFORE purchasing, these brackets have a very narrow window of ideal operation and are intended for AEV springs. The reason for this is because the top and bottom arms are not dropped the same amount and the geometry is intended to change pinion angles and caster quickly. We're hoping to release a document next week that gives the instructions on measuring ride height accurately to determine if these brackets will work for you.
                    4. If you choose to use aftermarket control arms (presumably because you already bought them) be sure that they are set at stock length, if they can't be adjusted to stock length you may not get the full benefit of the kit. If you have an aftermarket axle, you may still need upper front adjustable control arms depending on how the axle was built. If you have any questions regarding that, just give us a ring. We always recommend stock control arms if you are like 99% of the consumers out there and want a durable solution that will last nearly the life of the vehicle.

Also, these brackets work so well that we've now included them in all new AEV Suspensions, 3.5/4.5, LHD/RHD, four door and two door.

dh
                    2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                    2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Good info Dave, thanks.
                      Do you still have plans for new driveshafts?
                      Im waiting until you realease everything before i buy
                      BLACK 2007 RHD JK SAHARA UNLIMITED 2.8 DIESEL
                      6 Speed
                      AEV 3.5"SC, 315/70R17 Duratracs, AEV Front Bumper, AEV Rear Carrier, AEV Snorkel, Warn 9.5ti
                      F900BT+VIBE LiteAir 1000W 4ch amp + 4 BlackAir 6.5" + 1350W 12" Sub-woofer

Comment

I am so enthusiastic about this kit arriving to me from Northridge Canada.
                        I currently have another lift kit I installed on my 2010 Rubi and it handles not to well.

Ya, saw the posts on "that forum" you mentioned Dave.
                        Please don't become a sponsor over there. You don't need it. All faithful AEV customers find their way over to here.

Keep those new products coming. I have everything you guys make (except hemi).
                        I NEED mud flaps !!

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
                          We're hoping to release a document next week that gives the instructions on measuring ride height accurately to determine if these brackets will work for you.
                          Looking forward to those instructions ...... please post them here when available. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pinch View Post
                            Please don't become a sponsor over there. You don't need it. All faithful AEV customers find their way over to here.
                            I completely agree. They are a very different crowd than the expedition crowd that you guys cater to. I brought up the topic not to bash a product, or web engineer it, but because I am planning on getting it, and just wanted to check on the upper control arm bolt. I checked with my local Fastenal store, and it sounds like they have what I need in stock (since my Jeep does have the upper control arm bolt put from the inside of the framerail to the outside), so I should be placing my order soon.
                            Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

Is AEV on vacation? I've been trying to call all weekend and all day today with no luck in the sales department. I would really like to get some of these shipped out to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X