X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
    OK Jon, you win...
    Add me to the bandwagon!
    I just wish that Jeep would have made the driveshaft slightly narrower to begin with. I think about 1/2" smaller in diameter and it would be fine.
    Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
      I just wish that Jeep would have made the driveshaft slightly narrower to begin with. I think about 1/2" smaller in diameter and it would be fine.
      It's only about 1.250" in diameter when it comes out of the joint at the transfer case. I suppose the mass has some balancing quantities.
      Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
      4540 Motorsports

Comment

For you guys waiting for the release of AEV's drive shaft why don't you pick up a spare OEM part from the many JKers that have already replaced theirs? I picked up a 3 month old take off for $20 on Craig's List. It took about an hour to install and now I'm good to go until next spring. Hopefully AEV will have released their unit by then. <poke>

Comment

I have extra stock driveshafts laying around the garage I have been picking up for free, but I don't have a lot of time to work on the Jeep, so I would rather just fix it and be able to forget it. Maybe when I fix it I could install the wheel spacers I have had in my garage for about 6 months now.
          Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
          4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

I already went to an aftermarket DS, so my stock flanges and hardware are long gone... I am looking for a stocker now.
            08' JK- AEV Nth degree 3.5" Premium, AEV corners, AEV Snorkel, AEV carrier, AEV Savagre black wheels, 35's, 5.13 gears.

Comment

well just got off the phone with AEV parts sales, it was sort of a vague answer, but to me it sounded like they are still trying to find a supplier for the joints in the shafts...

could be a month, could be a couple of months.
              08' JK- AEV Nth degree 3.5" Premium, AEV corners, AEV Snorkel, AEV carrier, AEV Savagre black wheels, 35's, 5.13 gears.

Comment

Well.. I figured Id update this thread.. I bought a Tom Woods Multiple Double Cardan 1310 shaft... And I have vibrations just like when I was running the single double cardan. Then I bought adjustable (JKS) upper front control arms to get my pinion angle to zero.. still has vibrations, I dont get it. Im thinking he sent me a bum driveshaft....

Still wishing AEV had a solution.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the problems.
                  I've been watching this post and your note came at the right time for me.

Two days ago I called Tom Woods to order a front and rear driveshaft. The person who I spoke with advised me I would need front and rear adjustable control arms to correctly set pinion angles. Price shock set in ($2,000.00). Thinking I would be spending maybe $1,200.00.
                  I had thought that I would only need rear lower adjustable control arms because of the increased angle on a 2 dr.
                  I got over the price shock and looked at the Clayton Offroad arms but really do not like the "johnny joints". So I am looking at the JKS arms now.

I really would like to wait for AEV to come out with their anticipated driveshafts, and adjustable control arms. Don't know how long my stock driveshafts will hold out. All AEV components here would be nice, and hopefully correct these issues.
                  I know AEV is working on it.

I'm also concerned about driveshaft vibration using an aftermarket shaft and now hearing about yours I am hesitant. I hope you are able to correct yours without too much effort. From what I read Tom Woods will take care of any problems related to his work. So that's good.

Let us know how you make out.

AEV, any progress?

Jde

Comment

Originally posted by Jde View Post
                    ... From what I read Tom Woods will take care of any problems related to his work. So that's good.
                    Jde
                    I can give first hand testimony that Tom stands behind his products and goes above and beyond the normal to make things right.
                    4540 Motorsports

Comment

I can give first hand testimony that Tom stands behind his products and goes above and beyond the normal to make things right.
                      This may be true but I've known a few people that have had nothing but trouble with his drive shafts. Even though he stands behind his work and fixes any issues in a timely fashion his customers shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place. A drive shouldn't be that hard to get right, especially when one has done it as long as Woods' has.

I've discovered that my FULLY CONNECTED JK on a 4.5" AEV lift has plenty of wheel travel for the moderate to difficult trails I run. I don't even disconnect unless I absolutely need to and in the process my drive shaft has held up with no issues. I still plan on getting the AEV shaft when it comes out but staying connected has definitely solved the issue for me. I just found that unless I'm driving extreme trails I just don't need the extra wheel travel disconnecting the front sway bar offers.
                      Last edited by MaloCS; 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jde View Post
                        I really would like to wait for AEV to come out with their anticipated driveshafts, and adjustable control arms. Don't know how long my stock driveshafts will hold out. All AEV components here would be nice, and hopefully correct these issues.
                        I know AEV is working on it.
                        AEV has already released their control arms (front uppers only), and a few people have them. They are not available on the website, but if you call AEV sales they will get you taken care of.
                        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by MaloCS View Post
                          I've discovered that my FULLY CONNECTED JK on a 4.5" AEV lift has plenty of wheel travel for the moderate to difficult trails I run. I don't even disconnect unless I absolutely need to and in the process my drive shaft has held up with no issues. I still plan on getting the AEV shaft when it comes out but staying connected has definitely solved the issue for me. I just found that unless I'm driving extreme trails I just don't need the extra wheel travel disconnecting the front sway bar offers.
                          Just a word of caution. That is fine for dirt roads and mild trails. I know of some JK's running connected like you do, precisely because of the great articulation of the Nth degree lift, HOWEVER at least one of those connected JK's has broken the sway bar!!!
                          Since I heard that, I ALWAYS disconnect. The articulation may be beyond the ability of the sway bar to survive as there is intense pressure and weight on that factory sway bar, especially in a 4 door.
                          4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
                            They are not available on the website, but if you call AEV sales they will get you taken care of.
                            It would sure be nice if the website was updated with ALL of the parts available including the individual springs for the JK lifts.
                            How are we or the average customer supposed to know what is out there?
                            Calling on the phone every time is a waste of efficiency and resources and is very poor marketing.
                            Great products like those at AEV, shouldn't be a secret!!!
                            4540 Motorsports

Comment

Just a word of caution. That is fine for dirt roads and mild trails. I know of some JK's running connected like you do, precisely because of the great articulation of the Nth degree lift, HOWEVER at least one of those connected JK's has broken the sway bar!!!
                              Since I heard that, I ALWAYS disconnect. The articulation may be beyond the ability of the sway bar to survive as there is intense pressure and weight on that factory sway bar, especially in a 4 door.
                              I don't doubt that some folks have damaged or broken the sway bar in their outings but I've never seen that happen in the 9 years I've been off roading; even in my old IFS rig.

Another thing to elaborate on is the rating definitions we give the trails we drive. What I consider difficult someone else may consider moderate. I can say this, on the trails that most 4x4ers consider difficult in Colorado I've never had an issue with being connected or witnessed a situation where being connected caused damage to the sway bar. On the other hand, there are trails that I consider EXTREME where I would want to be disconnected for that extra inch or so of wheel travel.

Regardless, I tend to drive very conservatively when it comes to tire placement and torque. I don't rely on the skinny pedal to get me past an obstacle and I subscribe to the hard fast rule that brains is more efficient then brawn. Driving with this mentality has served me well and prolonged the life of my vehicle and it's parts.

Comment

It would sure be nice if the website was updated with ALL of the parts available including the individual springs for the JK lifts.
                                How are we or the average customer supposed to know what is out there?
                                Calling on the phone every time is a waste of efficiency and resources and is very poor marketing.
                                Great products like those at AEV, shouldn't be a secret!!!
                                I agree. I have heard that the current AEV site can't handle all of the parts, and changes that have gone on at AEV since the new site was reintroduced.

On a positive note I have also heard that AEV is working on a complete site redesign, and transfering to a system that will be able to handle the current demands, and then some.
                                Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited

Comment

Working...
                                X