AEV 4.5 Steering issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV 4.5 Steering issues

I have a Aev 4.5 in lift on my 2013 jku. Lift rides great but steering is an issue for me. whenever i hit a bump it will definitely move the steering wheel more then normal. also if a windy day it can set my traction control off on occasion. i recently loosened all the control arms and rocked the jeep. That helped a little. wondering if i just have warn out ball joints and tierods from that not being done. just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. if i upgrade steering parts to synergy if maybe this will help. any advice is appreciated

Any pictures of the front steering setup? Almost sounds like there is some bump steer which would make me think that something is not lined up right with the drag link and track bar.
    Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Here’s some pics of the front end.

Comment

Also forgot to add. I lost my back to center when I turn. Wonder if the caster could be off.

Comment

You have a mish mash of different steering items going on in the front. I see the Skyjacker dual steering stabilizers which could be causing the inability for the steering to self center. The I would also double check the bushing and torque on the tie-rod, drag link, and also check for wear on the ball joints. It looks like the tie rod and drag link are running parallel to each other, which should rule out bump steer and geometry issues.
          Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
          4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Good info above and definitely find someone who can align it well. What fixed mine and has not been mentioned, was the upper control arm bushings on the front diff. Even though they looked and felt good, replacing them made a big difference. Only noticed the damage once i took them out.
            '15 JKUR AEV350

Comment

I use a mix of Synergy steering parts and AEV parts. There isn't anything wrong with mixing parts just as long as they don't conflict with each other. I have seen parts wear out as low as 30k miles. Its hard to diagnose online but alignments on JK jeeps are critical because of the traction control.

Comment

Working...
              X