Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Capacity Springs questions

Hi AEV,

I see the High Capacity 4.5" springs are now available. Great work!
    I have a few questions please:

1. When these were first shown at SEMA there were also bigger bore shocks... are they still coming, or is the product now springs only?

2. I know you guys can't recommend exceeding GVWR, though I'm wondering how heavy is 'heavy enough' to justify these springs. I imagine if the fully-loaded vehicle is below a certain weight the ride will be harsh... what is that 'minimum' weight, roughly? (I'm a touch over 6000 lbs, each and every day)

3. Will there be a 3.5" version of these springs?

Thanks!

-Dan
    Africa circumnavigation in a Jeep Wrangler @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

1. The shocks are still coming. We are in the final test and tune phase now.
    2. We have been running these well over 6000lbs.
    3. These springs will only work on the 4.5" kit unless you swap the bump stops and mounting locations of a few components.
    Last edited by AEV Chris; 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM.
    Chris Holt
    Marketing Associate, AEV
    248-926-0256 x272
    cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post
      1. The shocks are still coming. We are in the final test and tune phase now.
      2. We have been running these well over 6000lbs.
      3. These springs will only work on the 4.5" kit unless you swap the bump stops and mounting locations of a few components.
      Chris, based on your reply, it looks like these springs can carry a heavy load without issue, but do you have a spec that lists a weight at which these springs become recommend over the standard 4.5 springs?
      Thanks.
      Last edited by AEV Chris; 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM.
      2012 JKUR 3.5 SC, F/R Bumpers, HRH, Savegres, KM2s

Comment

Originally posted by Daveh View Post

Chris, based on your reply, it looks like these springs can carry a heavy load without issue, but do you have a spec that lists a weight at which these springs become recommend over the standard 4.5 springs?
        Thanks.
        I don't. As Grecy mentioned, we cannot specifically recommend going over GVWR. I can say we have been running these for months on end on a Jeep with well over a few hundred pounds over 6000 without issue.
        Chris Holt
        Marketing Associate, AEV
        248-926-0256 x272

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

A follow up:
          3b. When the new shocks come out with they only be for a 4.5" kit?

I don't. As Grecy mentioned, we cannot specifically recommend going over GVWR. I can say we have been running these for months on end on a Jeep with well over a few hundred pounds over 6000 without issue.
          What's the *lightest* Jeep you have been running them on that still handles OK?

-Dan

Africa circumnavigation in a Jeep Wrangler @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
          --
          --
          WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Comment

Well now I need to weigh my rig. I've been running the 3.5" rear springs with a 1/2" spacer to compensate for sag from the rear drawers, hi-lift and cargo shelf. I wonder if I'm heavy enough to use these.
            2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

Comment

Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
              Well now I need to weigh my rig. I've been running the 3.5" rear springs with a 1/2" spacer to compensate for sag from the rear drawers, hi-lift and cargo shelf. I wonder if I'm heavy enough to use these.
              If you are over 6000lbs you are a great candidate for these springs Grecy

The shocks will be for 3.5/4.5. The main high differences between those kits are the springs and bump stops. You can run the high capacity springs if you run the 4.5" bumpstops and change the mounting location for your track bar on the rear and your geometry brackets.
              Chris Holt
              Marketing Associate, AEV
              248-926-0256 x272

Comment

If you are over 6000lbs you are a great candidate for these springs Grecy

The shocks will be for 3.5/4.5. The main high differences between those kits are the springs and bump stops. You can run the high capacity springs if you run the 4.5" bumpstops and change the mounting location for your track bar on the rear and your geometry brackets.
                Thanks for the replies Chris!

-Dan
                --
                --

Comment

This is great info I work out of my jeep and run it heavy all the time I am eager to weigh it and see where I come out.

Comment

I am curious why AEV tends to focus on the taller lifts. It seems like a high capacity spring for the 2.5 suspension would make more sense in the real world.
                    "Dont wish for it,work for it."
                    2014 Anvil Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited-Procal-Heat Reduction hood and Snorkel with prefilter-black Pintlers-AEV dual sport 2.5 with AEV Geo brackets- Tire carrier with fuel caddy-AEV/Rhino rack roof rack-buffalo key chain

Comment

Originally posted by forsakenfuture View Post
                      I am curious why AEV tends to focus on the taller lifts. It seems like a high capacity spring for the 2.5 suspension would make more sense in the real world.
                      The 3.5/4.5 is a more "complete" lift kit. The 2.5 is still a great lift however you get more complimentary products with the 3.5/4.5" kits to get the most out of the suspension system. Most of the expedition built vehicles are running a larger lift and larger tires. The JK350 is the best candidate for running heavier weights and developing the high capacity springs for the 4.5" setup was the only move that made sense. Also, with a 2.5" spring it would be harder to really beef it up to handle as much weight as these new ones can handle.
                      Chris Holt
                      Marketing Associate, AEV
                      248-926-0256 x272

Comment

Ah, I'm around 5700lb unloaded, and around 6200lb loaded for touring with passengers. I suspect I'm too light. Maybe I'd be a good candidate if I ever add a roof rack and RTT.
                        2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

Comment

This thread is very helpful thanks guys. I'm seriously considering the high capacity springs but first i need to weigh the rig. I notice a lot of sag in the rear and carry a lot of weight in the back -especially true on longer treks.
                          2015 JKUR + AEV goodies.

Relocating to Knoxville, TN in June/2016.

Comment

I'm running the 2.5 lift on my 2013 JKUR and will be upgrading to the 4.5 lift with the HC springs. Just weighed my JKUR loaded for a week in Death Valley and I was at 6700 lbs. I do hope this setup will smooth out the ride a bit.
                            Last edited by jeff916; 12-02-2018, 08:46 PM.
                            2013 JKUR overland sertup

Comment

Originally posted by jeff916 View Post
                              I'm running the 2.5 lift on my 2013 JKUR and will be upgrading to the 4.5 lift with the HC springs. Just weighed my JKUR loaded for a week in Death Valley and I was at 6700 lbs. I do hope this setup will smooth out the ride a bit.
                              If you don't mind, could you please take some height measurements before/after?

I would love to know how how your Jeep ends up with the 4.5 HC springs.
                              6700 is heavy!

-Dan
                              --
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X