No announcement yet.

High Capacity Springs questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched out my AEV standard 4.5 springs for the HC springs a couple of weeks ago. The original springs were fine originally but as I have added more gear and also upgrading my expedition trailer, it was time for the HC springs. First thing I noticed is my JKU is now level when loaded up. Second, which I was surprised, is the fact the ride is noticeably smoother and provide a better ride. I had not weighed my Jeep until yesterday and prior to weighing it I was guessing my weight was around 5800lbs. I was shocked when the scale read 6740lbs! That is without my trailer. Looks like the 6.4 Hemi is in my future
    Very happy with the swap. They are everything AEV advertises about them. Well worth it!!

Comment

6740 is pretty impressive. I know my jeep with the all the AEV parts on it without any gear inside of it and no back seat comes in at 5200 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkip View Post
        I switched out my AEV standard 4.5 springs for the HC springs a couple of weeks ago. The original springs were fine originally but as I have added more gear and also upgrading my expedition trailer, it was time for the HC springs. First thing I noticed is my JKU is now level when loaded up. Second, which I was surprised, is the fact the ride is noticeably smoother and provide a better ride. I had not weighed my Jeep until yesterday and prior to weighing it I was guessing my weight was around 5800lbs. I was shocked when the scale read 6740lbs! That is without my trailer. Looks like the 6.4 Hemi is in my future
        Very happy with the swap. They are everything AEV advertises about them. Well worth it!!
        Wow, 6740! That's one heavy JK.
        I'm happy to hear the High Capacity springs really improved the ride.

Would you make taking a measurement from the center of you wheel to the bottom of the guard flare? I'd love to know how high you Jeep sits.

Cheers,
        -Dan
        Africa circumnavigation in a Jeep Wrangler @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
        --
        Follow: Facebook / YouTube
        --
        WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhawkip View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. I decided to make my upgrade in stages. I went from the 2.5” to the 3.5”. The difference is very noticeable. I just returned from Baja and about 300 miles of rocky roads and my Jeep is more stable and handles much better than before - on road and off. However, I still bottom out the rear at times. It does not set level when loaded either. Sounds like the HC coils would solve this. One of the questions I’ve had is will the HC coils turn the JKU’s ride into a 3/4 ton truck but it sounds that’s not the case.
          2013 JKUR overland sertup

Comment

man I was hoping some people would be going to these hd springs and posting their old 2.5/3.5 springs up for sale.

Comment

I just upgraded to the new 4.5" HC springs. Performance is awesome, I get more shock travel, no more bottoming out. I have a Gobi roof rack and James Bardour tent, ARB refrigerator and drawer set, total weight is about 800 lbs. My shocks are the Fox 2.5 high performance with reservoir. My Jeep articulate a lot more now too. I do notice when driving on the hwy however, through windy roads, I have to slow way down, otherwise the Jeep feels tipsy. I'm wondering if there is another adjustment I need to make in the suspension. Before the spring upgrade, I was running a 3.5" AEV lift.
              Last edited by Ron Channels; 01-14-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Channels View Post
                I just upgraded to the new 4.5" HC springs. Performance is awesome, I get more shock travel, no more bottoming out. I have a Gobi roof rack and James Bardour tent, ARB refrigerator and drawer set, total weight is about 800 lbs. My shocks are the Fox 2.5 high performance with reservoir. My Jeep articulate a lot more now too. I do notice when driving on the hwy however, through windy roads, I have to slow way down, otherwise the Jeep feels tipsy. I'm wondering if there is another adjustment I need to make in the suspension. Before the spring upgrade, I was running a 3.5" AEV lift.
                That is definitely interesting that you feel tipsy in windy roads. Is that with your RTT on full time? We specifically tested for top heavy weight as well and didn't have that issue in slow or high speed slalom. Keep us updated on your experience but I also don't know how spirited your driving is through those windy roads.
                Chris Holt
                Marketing Associate, AEV
                248-926-0256 x272
                cholt@aev-conversions.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
                  man I was hoping some people would be going to these hd springs and posting their old 2.5/3.5 springs up for sale.
                  Give me a few weeks and I’ll have a set of 3.5 coils for sale.
                  2013 JKUR overland sertup

Comment

Originally posted by jeff916 View Post

Give me a few weeks and I’ll have a set of 3.5 coils for sale.
                    let me know.

Comment

Working...
                    X