2015 AEV JK350 rear shock failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 AEV JK350 rear shock failure

I have a 2015 JKU JK350 with the standard 5100 series shocks. This weekend I went off-roading and on the way home I notice extra body roll, when I checked everything out I found that drivers rear shock had failed. The shock body doesn't have any signs of being hit or damaged while off-roading but the lower seals were down around the bottom of the shaft. I have around 34k miles on my Jeep, has anyone else had a shock failure like this?

Thanks

Steven

What is the warranty on the AEV Bills?

Comment

I can't say I have seen shock failure like that, but at the same time going off road I have seen a lot of weird things break in weird ways.

I would call AEV tech support to see what any warranty or replacement options are. AEVs phone number is 248-926-0256
      Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
      4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

looks like you have an elevated rear lower shock mount. Does not look like you have a lot of uptravel I think stock rear shocks are 10" of travel so you may have hit hard on full compression and caused the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
          looks like you have an elevated rear lower shock mount. Does not look like you have a lot of uptravel I think stock rear shocks are 10" of travel so you may have hit hard on full compression and caused the damage.
          I do have MetalCloak lower shock clearance mounts but I also had extended bump stops and 4.5" springs. After installing the springs/bumpstops/lower shock mounts I tested travel/flex and the shocks had 4" of up travel, At full flex/compression the rear shocks still had around 1.5" of up travel. This shock started leaking last week, I read a post on here with a AEV Rep telling someone who said their shock was leaking that it was normal for a Bill to leak fluid. I have run Bills on every 4wd/Offroad vehicle I've owned and never had a Bill do this and if a shock is leaking regardless of brand the shock is bad.

Thanks

Comment

Hopefully it will be warrantied. I have run several pair as well and I have never had any leak. How much down travel did you have at full extension. Only 2.5" (4"-1.5") of uptravel does not seem like very much. I have a sweet set of new rear Falcon 3.1 shocks I would sell you if they don't warranty them.

Comment

Originally posted by nezsm View Post

I do have MetalCloak lower shock clearance mounts but I also had extended bump stops and 4.5" springs. After installing the springs/bumpstops/lower shock mounts I tested travel/flex and the shocks had 4" of up travel, At full flex/compression the rear shocks still had around 1.5" of up travel. This shock started leaking last week, I read a post on here with a AEV Rep telling someone who said their shock was leaking that it was normal for a Bill to leak fluid. I have run Bills on every 4wd/Offroad vehicle I've owned and never had a Bill do this and if a shock is leaking regardless of brand the shock is bad.

Thanks
              When you measured did you pull out the frame mounted rubber stopper? On a forklift, ramp, etc... it won't fully collapse. In motion it will completely collapse and you could be bottoming in extreme situations on the shocks.
              Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
              4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

I used the ramp at the shop, the only measurements that were taken was the amount of up travel and at neutral/level. The rubber bumper on the frame wasn’t removed. I think you’re right and just ran out of shock travel while on the trail, I’m having a set of Rock Krawler control arms installed and will be going with 11” to 12” travel shocks. The only reason for going to the Rock Krawler arms is for added strength over the stock arms, also because I got a heck of a deal on them from a friend that went to a long arm and coil over set up.

Comment

Working...
                X