Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt Salvage 2013 JKU AEV value

Fairly new AEV owner here.

I'm curious on what your thoughts are on the price of this jeep. I'm still torn between keeping it, selling it, or maybe even trading it on a JL.

Whats sort of premium can I reasonably expect from this being an factory AEV jeep?

Rebuilt Salvage Title, Non-Collision, Minor fresh water Wisconsin flood (while wheeling)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JK250/JK350 AEV 72,200 miles
    MSRP $50,571

The previous owner installed a bunch of other mods. This list is my best guess on parts and cost. Probably close to $4,000 worth of additional accessories.

$1200 360 Degree camera system Brand Motion AVMS-3701
    $1000 Alpine iLX-F309 with idatalink Maestro RR
    Aftermarket speakers (unknown brand, probably good based on other stereo equipment)
    Professionally built custom subwoofer speaker box for 12” subwoofer
    12” Rockford Fosgate Marine Sub (needs amp)
    $100 Dash camera rear view mirror
    $100 Front Teraflex Diff Cover
    $100 Rear Teraflex Diff Cover
    $100 Jeep Floor Mats
    $400 LED Headlights XK GLOW XK042005-KIT (I have OEM 2018 wrangler LEDs currently on it)
    $80 LED Interior Lights, XK GLOW Strip Lights
    $90 LED Taillights Xprite USA G3 Diamond Series TL-JEEP-JK-SMK-G3

In August 2018 at 68,000 miles this jeep was involved in a light offroading flood during a water crossing. The plastic cover was off of the underhood power distribution center and water splashed into it causing the jeep to exhibit “electrical issues” and drain the battery down to nothing. A claim was made and the jeep was totaled. No water got into the motor, transmission, tcase, or axles. Water did get in the interior up a few inches but possibly not more that "Fording Height". No interior electronics were damaged or replaced. The interior was completely removed and cleaned, and the carpeting was replaced with new OEM carpet.

I bought the jeep from the insurance auction and performed the repairs. I have before and after pictures. I have daily-driven the jeep for thousands of miles since it was repaired.

I just recently installed brand new Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5x17 tires and 2018 Rubicon Recon Wheels on 2” Wheel Spacers.

The Carfax says the jeep sold at a dealership for $33,595 with 58,534 miles in late 2017. Lot’s of the extras were added after that (stereo/lights/tires/wheels).

I'd say your best option would be to keep it. Dealers will surely offer you far below book on trade due to the salvage title. It would be similar for a private sale unless you are lucky enough to find a buyer willing to overlook the title issue. Either way, the salvage history wipes out any premium you would typically see from having an AEV build. Unfortunately, your resale is hurt even more by it being a Sahara JK250 missing some of the key features many AEV buyers associate with their builds such as AEV wheels, front IPF lights and the HRH found on the JK350 builds.
    2012 JKUR 3.5 SC, F/R Bumpers, HRH, Savegres, KM2s

Comment

I'm not really looking for someone to overlook the title. I fully understand it will be worth less, just how much less? I've heard people say a rebuilt title affects the price 50% and others say 10%. It really ranges. It appears to me that people in the jeep community seem care less than others (maybe not the buyers of factory AEV jeeps...) Either way, as an automotive engineer I understand a vehicle is nothing more than a bunch of metal, rubber, plastic, and glass. There really is no physical difference at this point between this jeep and a clean title jeep.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I was thinking it would have been worth a little more because it was a factory AEV build, but maybe not. There are only a few things that are on it that I believe you cant purchase seperate (gauges, decals, seats), but there are other aftermarket alternatives to all that stuff.

I probably should have disclosed I have over $20k in it but well less than $25k. I still feel pretty good about it if I keep it. I think I should have no issue breaking even if I decide to sell it and move up to a JL.

Comment

I use to rebuild salvaged jeeps. It was good money until salvage actions went public. I always bought low mile and collision only TJs and LJs. Fixed them with OEM parts when possible. Even had warranty work done on them by the dealership and they never noticed my repairs. I would generally price mine at low bluebook or whatever estimation site you want to use. I never had any issues selling them at a fair price with the salvage disclosure. I was normally told my repaired jeeps were better than a clean title one. 4 inch lift and 33’s were my up sale. Just my two cents.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 13JKAEV View Post
          I'm not really looking for someone to overlook the title. I fully understand it will be worth less, just how much less? I've heard people say a rebuilt title affects the price 50% and others say 10%. It really ranges. It appears to me that people in the jeep community seem care less than others (maybe not the buyers of factory AEV jeeps...) Either way, as an automotive engineer I understand a vehicle is nothing more than a bunch of metal, rubber, plastic, and glass. There really is no physical difference at this point between this jeep and a clean title jeep.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I was thinking it would have been worth a little more because it was a factory AEV build, but maybe not. There are only a few things that are on it that I believe you cant purchase seperate (gauges, decals, seats), but there are other aftermarket alternatives to all that stuff.

I probably should have disclosed I have over $20k in it but well less than $25k. I still feel pretty good about it if I keep it. I think I should have no issue breaking even if I decide to sell it and move up to a JL.
          I work on the wholesale side of the auto industry and salvage prices vary greatly. Just like anything it depends on having a buyer interested. Without salvage you're probably looking at a trade in value around 20k. Salvage could drop that price by 5k depending on the dealer and where you are located. Try doing a search for KBB instant cash offer. Basically you enter your info and based on your input they make you an offer. If you agree and your vehicle matches your description they cut you a check. If you decide to sell privately you can probably list it for 2-4K over that offer price.
          2012 JKUR 3.5 SC, F/R Bumpers, HRH, Savegres, KM2s

Comment

Originally posted by Daveh View Post

I work on the wholesale side of the auto industry and salvage prices vary greatly. Just like anything it depends on having a buyer interested. Without salvage you're probably looking at a trade in value around 20k. Salvage could drop that price by 5k depending on the dealer and where you are located. Try doing a search for KBB instant cash offer. Basically you enter your info and based on your input they make you an offer. If you agree and your vehicle matches your description they cut you a check. If you decide to sell privately you can probably list it for 2-4K over that offer price.
            pretty much exactly where I would have estimated the value.

Comment

13JKAEV, I would be interested to know what you ended up doing with your Jeep. I am researching how much AEV builds and rebuilt titles affect the value. If you sold it, and don't mind me asking, how close to blue book did you get?
              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X