Fuel Caddy Bolts Stripped out of plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Caddy Bolts Stripped out of plastic

I wanted to remove my fuel caddy to give everything a good cleaning, repaint the faded tire rack and remove the backup camera and brake light so I could move them. When I was removing the caddy three of the five bolts ended up stripping on the "nut" that is held into the tank. The two I could remove looked ok and were not rusted, it just seems like they were tight and the plastic gave way before the bolt did. The tank was put on at AEV.I started to cut the head off one of the bolts but then just decided to remove the whole thing as a unit. I tried putting upwards pressure on the bracket hoping that would give it enough resistance to unbolt but no luck. I am a bit frustrated about this. I am hoping AEV has some suggestions or fixes since other than having a bit of gas always in the tank, I do think it is pretty useful.

I ran into the same issue on 2 bolts. I'm not sure if they're cross-threaded or just seized up. I finally had to cut one of the straps to get the tank off. Hopefully there is a solution to this as I would like to remount my tank.

Comment

I think the solution is anti seize on the bolts. Like I mentioned above, mine was put on at AEV and I doubt those guys would cross thread anything.

Comment

Hi deeve, thanks for posting about this.

All of the fuel caddies installed at AEV are supposed to have anti-seize applied just like you're saying. I spoke with our shop manager about this and we're both very concerned about this.

Please send me a private message and we'll discuss this further. I'm going to need some of your private information in order to investigate this.

For anyone else reading this thread and is installing the fuel caddy themselves or going through a dealer, we definitely recommend adding anti-seize onto the bolts.

Comment

I have the same issue but mine was put on by myself years ago. I am pretty sure I didn't use antiseize but almost every Hex head bolt I have is pretty much seized on my fuel can or it is by now. Kinda sucks but I guess I just wont be removing it anytime soon.

Comment

I sent a PM to aevRJ but none of mine looked like they had anything on them. The bolt that adjusts and holds the tire carrier on had some though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate.Hamm View Post
              I have the same issue but mine was put on by myself years ago. I am pretty sure I didn't use antiseize but almost every Hex head bolt I have is pretty much seized on my fuel can or it is by now. Kinda sucks but I guess I just wont be removing it anytime soon.
              I'm sorry to hear that Nate.Hamm.

I double checked and the current installation guide does recommend anti-seize on all the fasteners.

Comment

Working...
              X