2.5" Dual Sport 2 Door JK Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5" Dual Sport 2 Door JK Lift

I Love AEV stuff. I consider them to be the most professional Jeep performance company out there. They think of all the details before going to market with their parts. I have a 2017 2 door that has AEV Bumpers front and back. I am considering a 2.5" DS lift for it. But my last 2015 Sahara Jeep drove pretty bad after installing the DS kit. My installer said that the steering wheel shake and the Jeep darting about was normal for 35" tires on a 2 door Jeep. QUESTION: Is it normal for a two door to drive bad with a lift?

Your installer doesn't sound like a person I would take work to again. I have had great experience with the 2.5 inch lift. Most people will say it drives better then a stock jeep. most noticeably nose dive when breaking is reduced and felt smoother when running over bumps. Steering wheel shake isn't normal. It means something is either worn out or installed improperly. Tires can cause some problems if improperly balanced or over inflated.

Comment

I have had both 2.5 and 3.5 ds on a 2016 2 door rubicon and both drove fine. You need to add geo brackets to increase your caster. steering wheel shake is not normal.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. Hopefully I will get a few more. I really want to lift my current Jeep, but definitely don't want to get into what I had before. The Jeep I had problems with was a low mileage 2015 Sahara. I purchased it from the local dealer, where I know all the management. They checked Everything and found nothing that was less than new. I drove it 10 miles over to the AEV installer and it drove like a car. After the lift, Fuel 18" wheels and Ridge Grapplers, you could barely drive it. The 4x4 shop loosened everything up with it on the ground, then tightened it back. That helped a lot, but not nearly enough so you would want to drive it. The Jeep would dart one way, then the other, causing the steering wheel to react as it did. You were constantly trying to guess where it would go. I assumed the shop would keep working on it until they got it right. But they just stood flatfooted and said that all 2 doors drove like that with the 2.5" DS and 35" tires. I drove it about 400 miles then sold it to a gentleman that is only going to keep it at his second home as an emergency vehicle. He didn't even test drive it. Just one of those things I guess, but I'm still afraid of messing up my good driving stock Jeep I have now.

Comment

If you lived in Washington state I would have you drive my wife's two door with a 2.5 inch lift and you would feel confident in purchasing one again. If you are still worried about how it will handle AEV does make a 2" spacer lift and it will retain the factory springs and shocks. and go with a set of 33" tall tires. A lot of shops do not take the time to properly torque things. I have caught a lot of little mistakes from shops just not taking the time to do a good job the first time.

A few things that could help is:
          1) Geometry correction brakets
          2) An alighnment
          3) proper tire pressure 28-35psi
          4) proper load range tires
          5) Use a Torque wrench on the track bar. 120 foot lbs.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I just dove into the thread that has all the photos and comments about the 2.5" DS lift. Everything on my Jeep was new, lined up and pressured right. I feel certain now that the shop that installed everything could have fixed mine if they had wanted to. There comment that "it rides as good as any Jeep with 35s" was just not the truth. You would think that after spending $9,000+ with them on this build they would have been eager to have it right. I live in North Western NC and these guys regularly do $100,000 Jeep builds so maybe it wasn't enough for them to care about. Anyway. I am going with the 2.5 on my current Jeep. Just have to find someone that cares enough to do it right I guess. Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by iRideNC View Post
              Thank you for your responses. I just dove into the thread that has all the photos and comments about the 2.5" DS lift. Everything on my Jeep was new, lined up and pressured right. I feel certain now that the shop that installed everything could have fixed mine if they had wanted to. There comment that "it rides as good as any Jeep with 35s" was just not the truth. You would think that after spending $9,000+ with them on this build they would have been eager to have it right. I live in North Western NC and these guys regularly do $100,000 Jeep builds so maybe it wasn't enough for them to care about. Anyway. I am going with the 2.5 on my current Jeep. Just have to find someone that cares enough to do it right I guess. Thank You!
              You might consider doing it yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined. I installed a 2.5" Teraflex lift with adjustable control arms and the Falcon Piggybacks that require trimming of the fender liners in my garage with a floor jack and a couple jack stands (and torque wrench of course). The kits these days are extremely simple and straight forward. AEV's DS is even easier than most. You would be confident that it was done by someone who actually cared about it being done correctly.

Comment

I hope to see pictures IRideNC when you have your new lift. I do agree with JL John installing it yourself is the best way to do it. If you can reach out to a local jeep group and ask around about good mechanics.

Comment

My last Jeep had the DS kit that retails for about $1100 with whatever it comes with. The shop said I didn't need anything else. Are there items that would be good to have in addition to the kit, or is the standard kit enough?

Comment

My last Jeep had the DS kit that retails for about $1100 with whatever it comes with. The shop said I didn't need anything else. Are there items that would be good to have in addition to the kit, or is the standard kit enough?
                    One thing I would Suggest is the Geometry Correction Brackets, they cost about $100. I think they help. My wife says they make it a bit harder to steer.

Comment

Thanks Nate. I will get the GCBs for sure. What about the sway bar links? The 3.5" kit appears to have lots more stuff. Would it be better to go (if I can afford it) with the taller kit to get the additional hardware?

Comment

Thanks Nate. I will get the GCBs for sure. What about the sway bar links? The 3.5" kit appears to have lots more stuff. Would it be better to go (if I can afford it) with the taller kit to get the additional hardware?
                        The reason some of the smaller/shorter kits do not come with new sway bar end links is because they are not essential for the smaller change in the stock configuration; when you step up to the taller lifts, the shorter sway bar end links can cause the sway bar to fully extend and bind or even flip backwards when flexed. I would not get a larger lift for the sole purpose of also getting new end links (you can purchase them separately anyway), only get a larger lift to accommodate larger tires and additional clearance in break-over situations......or because you think it looks cool I guess. The higher you go the more top heavy your rig will be also.....just something else to keep in mind.

Comment

iRideNC, and JL John, The 2.5" Dual sport kit comes with a sway bar end link bracket that raises the mounting location for the sway bar end link on the axle. I Believe that AEV does that so it retains the factory sway bar end links so you can get replacements from the dealership if a one wears out or is damaged.

The 3.5" kit does seem like a more complete kit and it does have a few more things that are needed for lifting a jeep to 3.5". Its a great kit also. I had one on a 4 door jeep.

Just so you know 35" tires do fit on a 2.5" lift. AEV recommends a max tire of 33" on their 2.5" kit. On their 3.5" lift they recommended a max tire size of 35".

Comment

Working...
                          X