Aftermarket Axle With AEV Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Axle With AEV Lift

Some background on my Jeep, its an AEV built JK350 upgraded to the 4.5" High Capacity springs. I have come across a great deal on some Currie 44 axles (linked below). The geometry of the front axle is slightly different than stock "Optimized for 4” lift kit with 5 degrees of pinion angle to reduce driveshaft angle and 5 degrees of caster for improved steering".

With that in mind what setting should I run the AEV correction brackets at?

https://www.currieenterprises.com/cu...ont-crate-axle

I’ll take a stab at this since nobody else has answered. I don’t think you want much more than about 5°-5.5° of caster, i’ve never experienced it, but apparently your steering will start to feel heavy and lazy if you go to high on caster. I think if you want to keep the drop brackets, you will need adjustable arms that will adjust shorter than the stock length to keep your caster in check. If you can find arms that will adjust shorter than stock, I would think you could keep them in the 4.5 holes. I think stock arms with drop brackets and the added caster on the new axle housing will be too much caster. Alternatively, you can remove the brackets, and just run a set of good adjustable control arms. Hope this helps, maybe somebody with more actual experience than I have will post up. And nice score on the axles!

Comment

I replaced mine with a dyna and there was no longer a need for the correction.

On another note, I have a two door and it is much less forgiving that a 4 door. I have 4.5 inches of lift, if I go to 5.7 and 5.9 caster the Jeep death wobbles like cray. When I go to 0 the steering wheel does not recoil back to straight when I turn the wheel. My 2 door likes to be at 3.5. 4 door caster spec is slightly higher but too much caster watch out.

Typical scenario guy lifts Jeep causing the axle to roll backwards and shift towards the driver so therefore you need an adjustable tracker, then he complains it drives like shit and in some cases wobbles depending on how much lift. Goes to the alignment shop and alignment guy says its a solid axle and I can only set toe. WRONG!!!

Caster is the silent devil in a JK with its front end design. In the rear when you lift too high the springs belly and you should really re-weld new re-located spring perch's. That is why AEV does not offer the 4.5 on two doors anymore because the rear springs belly so bad in extreme conditions one could pop out.

2015 Ram 3500 Prospector
      2011 Hemi JK Wrangler

Comment

Originally posted by ntgbrl View Post
        Some background on my Jeep, its an AEV built JK350 upgraded to the 4.5" High Capacity springs. I have come across a great deal on some Currie 44 axles (linked below). The geometry of the front axle is slightly different than stock "Optimized for 4” lift kit with 5 degrees of pinion angle to reduce driveshaft angle and 5 degrees of caster for improved steering".

With that in mind what setting should I run the AEV correction brackets at?

https://www.currieenterprises.com/cu...ont-crate-axle
        I'm running that exact same setup without correction brackets, adjustable arms throughout. Running right at 7 degrees of caster without any issues, might try dropping it some to see if it makes any difference. Overall very happy if I can just get the ball joints broken in....

Let me know if you have any questions.

Randy

Instagram: overland_rubi

Comment

Working...
        X