Procal & Regearing 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procal & Regearing 2012

Seeing lots of posts all of a sudden that we can't regear 2012s yet, because programmers won't make the Jeep electronics recognize it right (goes into limp mode). My 2012 is in the shop right now putting on an AEV 4.5 with 37s and 5.13 gears. From the AEV compatibility page, it looks like the Procal should work for this. Does anyone know? (I guess I'll know sometime next week, one way or the other.)
    /Jerry

With the new transmission ratio , are 5:13 required for 37s? Iv heard 4:88 would be fine and stock 4:10 with the rubicon package is ok with 35s. Anyone have any info? Thanks

Comment

Perhaps I could/should have stayed with 4.10s or 4.88s, but I regeared my TJ twice because I didn't do it right the first time (ended up with 5.13s for 35s). I just decided that I wanted 5.13s for 37s, and went there in the first build. I can't imagine it won't work well, but we'll see. I guess I'll be a test case...
      /Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by ditchman View Post
        With the new transmission ratio , are 5:13 required for 37s? Iv heard 4:88 would be fine and stock 4:10 with the rubicon package is ok with 35s. Anyone have any info? Thanks
        As with any gear ratio, it depends upon in what terrain you are going to be running.
        4.88 will be fine with 35's (the old engine needed 5.13's with the automatic)
        5.13's are better suited for 37's. Again depending upon your use.
        4.10 is way too tall for 35's with any engine.
        Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
        4540 Motorsports

Comment

It all depends of the transmission....

The manual got a slightly taller 6th gear. It is .79 now instead of .84

The auto is WAY different. It has a super low 1st and a shorter .84 overdrive.

Personally, I would probably go a little deeper with gearing than a little tall. With the tires and wheels generally being heavier. Also, when doing the conversion math from size to size I have always used tire circumference, not height.

I best reviews I have heard on the 2012 come from the lighter 2dr sports with the smaller ( 225/75R16 ) tires and the optional 3.73 gears.

If I was going to build one.

Auto. 4.56s for 35s, 4.88s for 37s.
          Manual. 4.88s for 35s, 5.13/5.38 for 37s.

I think a person could get away with 4.10s on 35s with the Rubicon/Auto. This is a low enough cost option its probably worth trying. It is still deeper gearing than a stock 3.21 geared sport or Sahara.

Comment

We just built a 2012 Rubicon on 35'sa using the 4.10 gears and it was perfect! I would say with 37'sa 4.56 or 4.88.....conventional jk wisdom is thrown out the window on the 2012 auto's!

Remember the tj? I run 4.88's with 37's and its perfect! The 2012 jk will likely be happier with 4.56's on the hwy...4.88 max. I would say 5.13's will kill hwy mpgs and overall driveability.

Jd
            Jason De Monto
            Trail Concepts
            480-788-7245
            2015 Jeep Rubicon
            Baja Yellow
            Dual Sport 106

Comment

I tend to agree on the ratios, 410 or 456 for 35, 488/37s.
              We have a fix for the gear changing issue, we'll be adding it to the procal in the next few weeks.
              Jordan will be adding more shortly.
              2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
              2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
              2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Guys,

Don't go changing gear ratios in your 2012s just yet. There are a couple modules that need to all have the correct gear ratio written in order to get out of first gear without throwing a P0731 DTC (Incorrect Gear Ratio).

The procal successfully updates one location but not the other. This issue is solved and we have new modules being programmed right now. We'll have them in mid-September or so.

If you have Procal (solo or from a kit) in the meantime as well as a 2012 vehicle, we'll work on an RMA process to swap out to the latest code once we release it. There will be more about that soon but it's not much of an issue.

If you are purchasing a new AEV suspension for a 2012 vehicle, please call us before you place the order so we know how to handle that without having to ship the procal back for service as soon as you get it.

We knew this issue was coming so we're already ahead of where we would be otherwise. If you can wait a couple weeks to regear your 2012 JK, we highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                  As with any gear ratio, it depends upon in what terrain you are going to be running.
                  4.88 will be fine with 35's (the old engine needed 5.13's with the automatic)
                  5.13's are better suited for 37's. Again depending upon your use.
                  I think that this is great input for 2007-2011, but, as others have said, you need to rewrite the playbook for the 2012 auto.

Comment

I cordially disagree. Ever driven/wheeled a NAS Defender 90 with with 35s and 4.10s? It does just fine (I have plenty of pics of road tripping from Boulder to Las Cruces or Moab, wheeling, and coming back to help illustrate my point ). Point being: IMO it depends on T-case, engine HP and torque and at what rpm those are available, transmission, weight of vehicle ...

T
                    2012 JKU Rubicon - delivered 8/19/2011

Comment

Originally posted by rickinAZ View Post
                      I think that this is great input for 2007-2011, but, as others have said, you need to rewrite the playbook for the 2012 auto.
                      If you note, I preface my original remarks, by mentioning terrain and usage.
                      The 2012 automatic has lower gears than the 4 speed and will suffice for some and not for others.
                      4540 Motorsports

Comment

Originally posted by comac90 View Post
                        I cordially disagree. Ever driven/wheeled a NAS Defender 90 with with 35s and 4.10s? It does just fine (I have plenty of pics of road tripping from Boulder to Las Cruces or Moab, wheeling, and coming back to help illustrate my point ). Point being: IMO it depends on T-case, engine HP and torque and at what rpm those are available, transmission, weight of vehicle ...

T
                        If you note, I preface my original remarks, by mentioning terrain and usage.
                        The 2012 automatic has lower gears than the 4 speed and will suffice for some and not for others.

My CJ has 35's, 4.10's and a 4 to 1 transfer case, there are many variables that make that acceptable, however I cannot use the overdrive on the freeway in high range, the 4.10's are geared too high for that.

Engine is irrelevant in the gearing equation.
                        Example, a WDX Power Wagon with 5.38 gears and 85 horsepower flat head reaches 55 mph max.
                        That same Power Wagon with a 300 horsepower V-8 tops out at 60 mph max, it just gets there quicker. The final gearing, when using the same rpm,
                        is the determining factor.
                        35's and 4.10's just result in too much speed, vehicle and trail damage, my personal preference is not to drive that way. You are cordially free to chose what ever gears you wish and replace them several times.
                        4540 Motorsports

Comment

Gearing can be a funny thing for sure.

I run 3.55 gears with 38+" tall tires on my old 92 dodge diesel with the 5spd manual. Drives great, still gets 20+mpg too. I'm pretty sure Dave at AEV is running 4.10 gears with 37s in his 2-door diesel with the 6-spd manual.

Automatic and manual vehicles need to be set up with different gearing, it depends on a lot of factors.

4.10s and 35s works pretty dang good on 3spd automatic TJ's.

I also ran an '01 TJ with 3.73 gears and stock tires ( 225s ) and loved it. Everyone said I would hate it.

5.13s on an 04 rubicon auto with 35s. That transmission was just retarded. I hated that combo.

Then you throw in the elevation you live at, the speeds of most of the roads you drive on, how many mountain passes over 10K feet in your area, prevailing winds, tire pressure, how wide the tire is, how aggressive the tire is, vehicle weight, vehicle aerodynamic profile, etc

Comment

35's and 4.10's just result in too much speed, vehicle and trail damage, my personal preference is not to drive that way. You are cordially free to chose what ever gears you wish and replace them several times.
                            This may be the dumbest quote on tires and gears I have ever read.

Let me ask, Norm, what transfer case ratio are you thinking of? 4:1 or the 2.72:1, makes a huge difference, eh? Or maybe you assumed that the Jeep has no transfer case or brakes; perhaps you assumed the driver is too stupid to use either the transfer case or the brakes, eh?

Engine charecteristics and transmission ratios are critical to proper gearing selection. The torquier the engine the taller the gears that it can handle. The higher the power band in the rpm range the lower the gears it needs. Transmission gears make a difference to final drive ratios and NEED to be considered, which is where you err Norm.

1.) 35's and 4.10's with the previous transmission final drive ratio: .69x.410= 2.829 (Rounding to the 100th to 2.83, likewise all ratios to follow.)
                            2.) With Lo engaged, 2.72 transfer case: 2.83x2.72= 7.70
                            3.) With 4:1 transfer case engaged: 2.83x4= 11.31
                            4.) Using BFG A/T's part# 37614 LT315/70R/17's @ 34.4" as the tire, RPM's at 60mph = 1709

1a.) 35's and 4.10's wth the WA580 final drive ratio: .83x4.10= 3.40
                            2a.) With Lo engaged, 2.72 transfer case: 9.24
                            3a.) With 4.10 transfer case: 3.40x4= 13.6
                            4.) RPM's at 60mph = 2054

1c.) 35's and 4.88's with previous transmission: .69x4.88= 3.37
                            2c.) With Lo engaged, 2.72 transfer case: 3.37x2.72= 9.17
                            3c.) With 4:1 transfer case engaged: 3.37x4= 13.48
                            4.) RPM's at 60mph = 2035

SO, NORM, NOTE THAT 2012 JEEPS WITH AUTOS AND 4.10'S HAVE LOWER FINAL DRIVE RATIOS THAN 2011 AND PREVIOS JEEP JK'S WITH 4.88's.

Don't forget that the 3.6 puts out more HP and more torque at lower rpms than the previous 3.8. If a pre-2012 Wrangler is good with 35's and 4.88's a 2012 with 4.10's and 35's is better in every aspect.

The lower gearing of the WA580 extends throughout the gears from a lower first on, with an extra fifth gear to boot.

JPK
                            Last edited by JPK; 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPK View Post
                              This may be the dumbest quote on tires and gears I have ever read.
                              JPK
                              You've already exhibited your inability to grasp concepts, placing your drive ratios, in your little chart, at 60 mph proves that, let's leave it at that.
                              Last edited by MoparNorm; 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM.
                              4540 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                              X