2 inch lift with 33 inch tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 inch lift with 33 inch tires?

Looking for pics of jk unlimiteds with 2 to 2.5 inch lifts with 33 inch tires. Thanks!

If you look over on my thread about trading my LJ for a JK we are discussing a similiar topic. Why do you want to raise it to inches for 33s? My reason is i am consider with AEV bumpers and a winch the stock suspension wouldnt be able to hold it.
    "Dont wish for it,work for it."
    2014 Anvil Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited-Procal-Heat Reduction hood and Snorkel with prefilter-black Pintlers-Superlift 2.5 with AEV Geo brackets-buffalo key chain

Comment

Here are a few pics of mine with a 2.5" lift and stock 32" Rubicon tires from the Yellowstone / Bear Tooth area. Should look very similar with a 33" tire.

Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
      4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Originally posted by forsakenfuture View Post
        If you look over on my thread about trading my LJ for a JK we are discussing a similiar topic. Why do you want to raise it to inches for 33s? My reason is i am consider with AEV bumpers and a winch the stock suspension wouldnt be able to hold it.
        For a lot of uses about 2-2.5" and 33's would be a great combo, imo. Looks great too.

I'll probably replace me wife's Jeep this spring and go with the AEV 2.5" spring lift and 33's.

With 33's you will bump stop to protect the spring from over compression, but maybe with 34's and definitely with 35's you'd be bump stopping to prevent tire rub. More suspension travel = better.

One of the problems with the so-called Low Center of Gravity set ups is too little up travel...

JPK

Comment

I'd be interested to see some pics also.I'm in a quandry about the direction of my 4 dr Rubi.I'd like to do a 2.5 kit with the 35's but I can't see it as I don't really want to regear .I think that's kind of a lame solution to being underpowered ,especially since mine is a daily driver .I wouldn't spend the 20K plus on a hemi conversion .I actually think for the time being I'm going with the AEV BB on this ride with my Pintlers and 33's and I'd like to see pics of that.

Now down the road ,I might step up to the 2.5 or 3.5 lift with 35's if I were to buy a 2012.

Comment

No matter what the engine if you go with taller tires you will have to re-gear to maintain performance. My Jeep has the 5.7 Hemi and with 37's it NEEDED to b re-geared to 4.88, even then 5.13's would have been better.

Re-gearing to keep engine RPM's where the engine makes poser, whatever that engine might be, isn't lame it's smart.

Forgot to get photos of my wife's JKU with 2.5" TF BB and oem Rubicon wheels and tires today (rained all yesterday) but will when I'm back at the house tomorrow afternoon for Christmas. My son and I are leaving my office shortly to go duck hunting this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

JPK

Comment

I have the AEV 2" lift with BFG 33's. Perfect fit. Will post some pics later.

Comment

Is there any noticeable difference in gas mileage?
                1986 CJ7 TDI
                2008 JK AEV Rubicon - 5.7L
                2012 JKU Rubicon

Comment

My MPG did drop a bit on the highway. Went from about 19 to 17

Comment

AEV 2" pod kit & 34" Tires

Here is my rig with a 2" AEV pod and 34" Toyo tires. When I added the bumper and winch it droped the front about 1.5" but I have had not rubbing issues as of yet. I would if I had used a wider tire though. These 285s tuck up into the wheel well nicely. I am still interested in the 2.5" lift coming soon but this has worked much better than I thought it would. I would have a little more space if I had used AEV's wheels as well as they have .25 inch more backspace.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by c2t; 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM.
                    President, Frontier 4x4 Club (Helena Montana)
                    Vice President, Montana 4x4 Association
                    Member, United Four Wheel Drive Association
                    Member, Continental 4 Wheel Drive Association (Butte Montana)
                    Chairman, Montana All Airborne Chapter, 82nd Airborne Association

2012 JK Rubicon, AEV 2.5" Lift, AEV front Bumper, 35" Treadwright tires, Warn 9.5ti Winch, CSI Performance Off-Road lights

Comment

Originally posted by JPK View Post
                      No matter what the engine if you go with taller tires you will have to re-gear to maintain performance. My Jeep has the 5.7 Hemi and with 37's it NEEDED to b re-geared to 4.88, even then 5.13's would have been better.

Re-gearing to keep engine RPM's where the engine makes poser, whatever that engine might be, isn't lame it's smart.

Forgot to get photos of my wife's JKU with 2.5" TF BB and oem Rubicon wheels and tires today (rained all yesterday) but will when I'm back at the house tomorrow afternoon for Christmas. My son and I are leaving my office shortly to go duck hunting this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

JPK
                      With the 2012 JK w/ Auto Tranny and 34" tires I am still geared considerably lower than the 2007-2011 JK with stock tires. In fact, I am almost exactly the same as the older JKs with stock tires (based upon the Rubicon's 32" stock tires) with 4.88 gearing.

As my Jeep is a DD I feel it is actually better on the street with the larger tire size. my MPG did drop of course.

2012 JK Rubicon, AEV 2.5" Lift, AEV front Bumper, 35" Treadwright tires, Warn 9.5ti Winch, CSI Performance Off-Road lights

Comment

Originally posted by c2t View Post
                        With the 2012 JK w/ Auto Tranny and 34" tires I am still geared considerably lower than the 2007-2011 JK with stock tires. In fact, I am almost exactly the same as the older JKs with stock tires (based upon the Rubicon's 32" stock tires) with 4.88 gearing.

As my Jeep is a DD I feel it is actually better on the street with the larger tire size. my MPG did drop of course.
                        Yes, the far better auto transmission in 2012's with the much lower gearing are as important or maybe more so than the Pentastar. The final drive gearing is almost the equivelent of a pre-2012 with two gear sets lower, which is a fantastic improvement. Panhead5 has a pre-2012.

I drove a 2012 Rubicon with 4.10's and auto and it was a snappy performer. Much better than my wife's '08 Rubicon auto around town, but especially on the highway. Takes away a lot of motivation for a Hemi conversion.

Since you have a Rubicon you have 3.73's or 4.10's. I'm guesssing 4.10's.

JPK
                        Last edited by JPK; 12-25-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I too am considering this combo; 2.5" lift and 33" tires. I have a 2010 JKU Rubicon. It has 4:10's and the stock 17" rims with BFG's MT's (255/75R17).

About all of the concerns over MPG, would it not help if one would pick a tire and rim combo that would try to keep the weight of the new bigger tire as close to the original weight of the OEM setup? I did not weigh my tire/rim but figure it is about 74 lbs. (26 lbs for the rim, 48 lbs for the tire). IMHO seems reading most posts on threads talking about this topic the authors are more concerned with looks and performance is secondary; go for the bling then bitch about the loss in gas mileage.

A BFG MT 33" tire weight is about 59 lbs, or an increase of 11 lbs. That's a lot of weight for a 0.9" in overall diameter increase!!! I realize that you can't achieve an 11 lbs drop in the weight of the rim, but would it not HELP to get a rim in the low 20's for it's weight? Every pound saved would help in keeping the MPG loss from soaring.

What ya all think?

What are AEV rim weights?
                          Last edited by scramblin_jim; 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I'm with you on your observations.I recently weighed the stock rubi rims with the stock MT's and a Pintler with a 285 70 r17 Duratrac and while I don't remember the weight,I do remember there was only about a 6 lb . difference between the 2 .the Duratrac being heavier .I would have thought it was more than that.I'm going to have to get out the scale again and reweigh everything .

I'm not sure the MPG drop is from the lifts or tire size but I suspect it's from a combination of both.

Comment

Originally posted by JPK View Post
                              Yes, the far better auto transmission in 2012's with the much lower gearing are as important or maybe more so than the Pentastar. The final drive gearing is almost the equivelent of a pre-2012 with two gear sets lower, which is a fantastic improvement. Panhead5 has a pre-2012.

I drove a 2012 Rubicon with 4.10's and auto and it was a snappy performer. Much better than my wife's '08 Rubicon auto around town, but especially on the highway. Takes away a lot of motivation for a Hemi conversion.

Since you have a Rubicon you have 3.73's or 4.10's. I'm guesssing 4.10's.

JPK

Yes, I have 4.10s. If I had 3.73s I would have to regear with the 34s on for off-road running. Personally I would not understand getting a Rubicon with anything higher geared than 4.10s...But I do a lot of off-road wheeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X