Rear bumper water tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stubblehead View Post
    OK here are some pics of the valve. The "stowed" shot shows what it looks like when rotated up. Th pic makes it look like it hangs down but in reality the cross feed tube is in the same position it was before installation of the valve. The quarter turn on/off lever rests against the tank and thus can not open (opens counter clockwise from this perspective). It's up and out of the way. Next is "stowed close". Simply a "close up" in the stowed position. As you can see there's a 1/2 inch brass "T" inline on the cross feed tube. Then another short piece of 1/2 inch tube is connected to the 90 of the "T" and that connects to a 1/2 inch valve with a quarter turn lever to open/close. The entire assembly rotates. The next pic shows the assembly rotated down with the valve closed. In order to rotate down the cross feed tube needs to be flexed a little. The advantage of this is that it can't rotate down on it's own. The next pic is the extended view with the valve open. The last pic is a 6 foot extension hose pushed on the the outlet side of the valve. My outlet side is 3/8 inch but you can get 1/2 inch outlets and if I did it over I'd get the 1/2 inch. We were working with what was on hand when this was done. I've also included links to to a site that has the "T" and valve. I haven't used this site and can't vouch for them but this stuff appears to be readily available. Having said that I couldn't find the valve today at Home Depot. Lastly, you can see that the "T" and valve are secured using some type of what looks like a compression clamp. I didn't see this part performed but I bet it requires a special tool. I also don't see why hose clamps won't work. All in all it works great and doesn't leak. If I leave any water in the system it would be no more than a few ounces. If I elevate the driver side rear wheel (park on a rock) the valve becomes the lowest part of the system. I no longer use the pump at all. Hope this helps.

http://www.pexsupply.com/PEX-Fittings-525000
    Very slick ... seriously gonna look into that-

Thanks-
    T
    2012 JKU Rubicon - delivered 8/19/2011

Comment

I like the idea for a drain... How did you form the question to the plumber?

On another note, has anyone had issues with leaks? I just installed the tanks myself. When I went to test the system, water instantly started leaking out the left tank at the quick fitting (not the threaded end). It wasn't a gentle drip-drip-drip either, was a constant stream of water...

Now, I'm not sure how I can fix it. On the one hand, I suppose I could just use some silicon around the quick fitting end. I'm wondering if vibrations will break that seal though.

Ryan

Comment

Thanks Stubblehead for the post; gives me an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by NOCIBUR View Post
          ...Maybe a stupid question but did you measure the amount of water you put in the tanks before trying to remove it?
          Yes, I used an empty gallon milk jug container and then drove around and then made sure it was toped off before I started pumping it out.

Comment

Originally posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
            Are you sure you're properly vented? A pluged vent might have something to do with not being able to get water out of the farside tank. Just a thought
            I didn’t check the vent but I had just installed it a few days before and had only driven the Jeep a small amount and none off road so I just assume it’s not plugged. I think the next thing I might try is to get a longer hose to see what happens just incase the one I have is too short.

Comment

I didn't care too much for the flimsy vent line that came with the pump kit. I used a longer piece of braided hose to provide a better vent. So far, no issues with retrieving water from the tanks.
              Last edited by Jetspd67; 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetspd67 View Post
                ...So far, no issues with retrieving water from the tanks.
                But have you measured how much you can actually pump out?

Comment

Originally posted by 1222 View Post
                  But have you measured how much you can actually pump out?

I'm traveling for the next 2 days. I'll check when I'm back home and let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by leadZERO View Post
                    I like the idea for a drain... How did you form the question to the plumber?

On another note, has anyone had issues with leaks? I just installed the tanks myself. When I went to test the system, water instantly started leaking out the left tank at the quick fitting (not the threaded end). It wasn't a gentle drip-drip-drip either, was a constant stream of water...

Now, I'm not sure how I can fix it. On the one hand, I suppose I could just use some silicon around the quick fitting end. I'm wondering if vibrations will break that seal though.

Ryan
                    leadZERO, I showed the plumber the problem and got lucky. Wish I could take more credit...

Comment

Anyone else measure how much they could actually get out?

I did the same as the op and actually got about the exact same amount too...

I'm going to double check my vent line, but the fact that it is exactly the same as the op and the lack of anyone else measuring and getting the stated "5 gallons" makes me suspicious.

I even drove around on some hills hoping that it would slosh water over to the left hand tank. Even after that I didn't find any additional quantity...

Ryan

Comment

Might wanna try calling and speaking to someone at AEV. They've been helpful when I've had questions and you won't have to wait and hope somebody replies...

Comment

Thanks leadZERO for checking yours too. I have a feeling that it’s going to be the same for most everyone. ncflyer, you’re right about calling and it’s on my to-do list but at the same time I’m sure that AEV has already seen this thread and either knows that there is a problem and /or doesn’t want to get involved.

Comment

Im sure that AEV has already seen this thread and either knows that there is a problem and /or doesnt want to get involved.
                            Well...There's only so much I can do here...You have two closed volumes, each of 2.4 Gal and a hose in between, there's no secret water pixie in there holding water back... Granted its not technically 5 gallons, its pretty close at 4.7~ so we round up for ease of marketing. On the fuel caddy we round down...Its just easier to say 5 gallons or 10 gallons. The Reliance pump also has limitations depending on how the drop tube is installed by the user...

Without cutting holes in the frame, the packaging dictates that some water will be stored in the hose that would not be accessible without putting a T in the hose with a petcock or some other solution. That's not a great idea on an offroad car because of probable damage, so most decide to give that up.

If you want all of it all the time, put a T or an electric pump in the middle of the hose or use a remote electric pump and two check valves, that would probalby be the ultimate solution, could even rig a shower etc... Its easy to get creative with this stuff as a individual user, there is tons of potential that we can't provide since everyone is different.

dh
                            2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                            2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                            2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                            2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

I know of all the suggestions you talk about and maybe even a few more but that’s not what I was getting at. All your other products for the most part are top notch and I’ve been a consumer of some of them since ’04 (9 years) and have them on my latest Jeep 2012, 3.5 lift kit, rear bumper with tire carrier and fuel caddy and Savegre wheels.
                              But I do have to say that if what you just posted is your only response to the problem then it sucks. Nowhere in your description of the water tanks does it state or suggest that you can only retrieve approximately halve the volume of water from the tanks. The concept is a great one but poorly thought out. Perhaps you should include that “secret water pixie” you talk about.

I’m no idiot and tried all kinds of ways to get the suction tube as far down as it would go. Like I said before, I like your products and will continue to buy them but as far as the water tanks go I think you dropped the ball, not you personally but you do represent AEV. I’ll eventually get it up and running one way or the other but it sure won’t be because you helped in any way.

Comment

As an alternative train of thought, it probably is possible, for another $200 added to the bumper cost, to design a perfect water recovery system for these tanks.
                                However, first and foremost, it's a bumper, not a potable water system. It's a bumper that happens to carry water. For what it is, it works OK.
                                I actually have more heartburn over the color of the white cap...
                                Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
                                4540 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X