Rear bumper water tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
    As an alternative train of thought, it probably is possible, for another $200 added to the bumper cost, to design a perfect water recovery system for these tanks.
    However, first and foremost, it's a bumper, not a potable water system. It's a bumper that happens to carry water. For what it is, it works OK.
    I actually have more heartburn over the color of the white cap...
    Lol, true.

I have yet to use them, my off road adventures only last a day and the jeep still has plenty of room for stuff.

Comment

You will never get every drop of water back out. It is just not how reality works.
      "Don't wish for it,work for it."
      2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
        As an alternative train of thought, it probably is possible, for another $200 added to the bumper cost, to design a perfect water recovery system for these tanks.
        However, first and foremost, it's a bumper, not a potable water system. It's a bumper that happens to carry water. For what it is, it works OK.
        I actually have more heartburn over the color of the white cap...
        I guess you’re just trying to be sarcastic with your post for the most part, $200, come on now get real. What good is adding water tanks that you can only get some of the water out? Just because it’s made by AEV doesn’t mean that it’s flawless. You say it works “ok”; well actually it doesn’t unless you are satisfied with ….. results.

Comment

Originally posted by forsakenfuture View Post
          You will never get every drop of water back out. It is just not how reality works.
          Du, no kidding, where in my posts do I say something like that, I’ll answer it for you, nowhere?

Comment

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic, but since you decided to take the low road, you've obviously never engineered, designed and manufactured a product.
            If the goal was to make the perfect water tanks into a bumper, the results most likely would have been different. The goal was probably to make a nice bumper and ...hey...let's utilize this space. I have my own issues with their bumper, but the tank isn't one of them.

To make it better is a big difference in production methods, design and cost. For what it is, it works fine, could it be better, sure, but at what cost? Like I said, $200.
            If you can figure out how to do it for less, you can probably figure out how to get the rest of the water out...
            Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
            4540 Motorsports

Comment

^^^I figured I’d get a lame response from you and I was right. This forum seems to be your home turf so I expected nothing less. Oh well.

Comment

1222, by any chance do you also find it really annoying that when you open the Jeep's doors in the rain that there is a rather powerful drip from the windscreen header seal down onto the internal door frame?

#firstworldproblems.
                08 JK RHD 2dr Sport CRD Auto

Comment

Actually I was giving you the answer, ....twice now. (three counting this post)
                  If the goal was to foresee every little gripe and complaint, about every possible scenario, then the R&D on that bumper would place the cost of the bumper out of the price range of the average buyer.
                  It's entirely possible that someday the design will change, but if I remember correctly, AEV spent about two years bringing that bumper to market and most folks were clamoring for a bumper NOW!
                  Would buyers have cared if the bumper had taken 9 more development months to evacuate 3 more ounces of water?
                  How many buyers use those tanks?
                  How many buyers use all of the water in the tanks?
                  How many other bumpers carry water?
                  How many buyers have fallen asleep 5 posts ago?
                  Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
                  4540 Motorsports

Comment

MoparNorm, what’s your problem, who in the blank is talking about “3 more ounces of water” besides you. Discussing the problem is actually pointless with you. This thread started out to see if others were having the same results as me in getting the water back out. Luckily for me there was one honest sole that actually checked and the same thing was happing to him. The only response I have gotten from AEV was basically useless and with you it’s nothing less than ridiculous. Why not just move along and quit trying to add up more brownie points with AEV?

Comment

Well I have to admit you do have me curious about filling my tanks and measuring what can be pumped out of them; I never have before. I need to drain them and clean them anyway. If when I measure I run into the same results as you did then I may look into getting the crossover tube level if it can be done. If not then the central petcock may be another solution. Another idea might be to pressurize the tanks with 2 or 3 psi. Should be easy to do, just use the vent.

Not sure why people have gotten so defensive over this it isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 1222 View Post
                        The only response I have gotten from AEV was basically useless
                        This statement struck me as a bit odd since I thought dh's answer was actually pretty good ... "If you want all of it all the time, put a T or an electric pump in the middle of the hose or use a remote electric pump and two check valves, that would probably be the ultimate solution, could even rig a shower etc..."

He gave a couple of ideas/suggestions to make it better for you. What kind of answer were you looking for? A re-design or something?

Not being a smart-ass and not defending anyone (cause, frankly, I could care less about the tanks as I don't ever plan on using them 'currently'), but honestly trying to understand what you're after ...

What would you quantify as a 'useful' answer?

T
                        Last edited by comac90; 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM.
                        2012 JKU Rubicon - delivered 8/19/2011

Comment

Originally posted by stubblehead View Post
                          OK here are some pics of the valve. The "stowed" shot shows what it looks like when rotated up. Th pic makes it look like it hangs down but in reality the cross feed tube is in the same position it was before installation of the valve. The quarter turn on/off lever rests against the tank and thus can not open (opens counter clockwise from this perspective). It's up and out of the way. Next is "stowed close". Simply a "close up" in the stowed position. As you can see there's a 1/2 inch brass "T" inline on the cross feed tube. Then another short piece of 1/2 inch tube is connected to the 90 of the "T" and that connects to a 1/2 inch valve with a quarter turn lever to open/close. The entire assembly rotates. The next pic shows the assembly rotated down with the valve closed. In order to rotate down the cross feed tube needs to be flexed a little. The advantage of this is that it can't rotate down on it's own. The next pic is the extended view with the valve open. The last pic is a 6 foot extension hose pushed on the the outlet side of the valve. My outlet side is 3/8 inch but you can get 1/2 inch outlets and if I did it over I'd get the 1/2 inch. We were working with what was on hand when this was done. I've also included links to to a site that has the "T" and valve. I haven't used this site and can't vouch for them but this stuff appears to be readily available. Having said that I couldn't find the valve today at Home Depot. Lastly, you can see that the "T" and valve are secured using some type of what looks like a compression clamp. I didn't see this part performed but I bet it requires a special tool. I also don't see why hose clamps won't work. All in all it works great and doesn't leak. If I leave any water in the system it would be no more than a few ounces. If I elevate the driver side rear wheel (park on a rock) the valve becomes the lowest part of the system. I no longer use the pump at all. Hope this helps.

http://www.pexsupply.com/PEX-Fittings-525000
                          Is the 1/2" dimension an inner or outer measurement?
                          Matt Sullivan

Comment

Damn! i shouldn't have looked at this thread....

The fact that there is a issue with water in a "bumper" is absurd. It's a bumper,... A BUMPER. If I had this bumper there would be no tanks as I would have already busted them off on a trail. If the design is not to your standards then you design something. How many products are out there that can be used? None of them come with water tanks... mine will hold a bottle of Jameson Whiskey. I only complain when its empty.. maybe you should try that? lol

I'll tell you what. I'll trade you, you can have my Rancho rear bumper, i'll give you two NOS (New Old Stock) Gerry Cans. There's your water tanks. Crazy feature is you pick them up and pour them out... I promise you'll get all the water out. I'll take that "junk" off your hands...

Just my opinion... sorry.
                            1945 Willys-Overland CJ-2A Resto-Build
                            1995 YJ 4.0, 4.5 inches Pintler Bead locks GenRight full build

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeg576?feature=mhee

Comment

Actually, the tanks are remarkably well protected by the tubes that run under them and toward the front. Landed on those tubes a few times...

JPK

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gardner View Post
                                ....How many products are out there that can be used? None of them come with water tanks... mine will hold a bottle of Jameson Whiskey. I only complain when its empty.. maybe you should try that? lol ....
                                ROFL ... make mine The Glenlivet.

T
                                2012 JKU Rubicon - delivered 8/19/2011

Comment

Working...
                                X