Rear bumper water tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPK View Post
    Actually, the tanks are remarkably well protected by the tubes that run under them and toward the front. Landed on those tubes a few times...

JPK
    I stand corrected, maybe I should be angry at jeep Because my floors didn't come with a pump to pump the water out. And the stock bumpers didn't come with a place to put water in them...
    1945 Willys-Overland CJ-2A Resto-Build
    1995 YJ 4.0, 4.5 inches Pintler Bead locks GenRight full build

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeg576?feature=mhee

Comment

Ok, obvious some of you just don’t get it and there are a couple of you that just feel a need to be a smart ass and up your post counts. For those that are truly interested but can’t quite understand what’s happening here just read my first post at the beginning of this thread.

I don’t need to be told to do this or that to be able to remove the water from the tanks, that’s a given. All I was asking is if anyone else was having the same problem with the tanks as me. I know that this is an AEV forum and knew I stood the risk of negative responses but was at the same time hoping that the ones looking for brownie points wouldn’t materialize. Oh well, so much for wishful thinking.

One of the selling points of the bumper is the water tanks. The bumper itself is not that big of deal. There are other makes that are just as good and may I dare say even better. What makes the AEV bumper unique is that it is built to work with the tire carrier, which I have and works great and of course the water tanks.

If nothing else at least I got a lot of people aware of this problem and also at least gave some potential buyers something to consider before purchasing if the water tanks were leaning them towards that direction like me. Again, terrific concept but poorly designed in water extraction.

Comment

I would guess that with the shape of the tanks there are air pockets getting trapped in there, and you aren't getting the full 4.8 gallons in the tank. Also with the plumbing you are always going to have some water left.

The only way to get to all the water is to install a drain at the lowest part of the plumbing.
        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
        4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

^^^ I measured what went in and was able to get the full amount as advertised so that wasn’t the problem. I also never said or expected to get every drop of water out, which would be next to imposable. I know you didn’t say anything about that and I thank you but others have so I am just clarifying. If I was only able to extract about 4 gallons or so, that would be acceptable, but not what it’s getting now. I do agree with you about the plumbing part and that’s where the main problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by 1222 View Post
            ^^^ I measured what went in and was able to get the full amount as advertised so that wasn’t the problem. I also never said or expected to get every drop of water out, which would be next to imposable. I know you didn’t say anything about that and I thank you but others have so I am just clarifying. If I was only able to extract about 4 gallons or so, that would be acceptable, but not what it’s getting now. I do agree with you about the plumbing part and that’s where the main problem is.
            Have you pulled any of the plumbing after pumping to see if the water is being held in the tanks or the plumbing? Just curious as to which is it since it seems like the remaining 1.5 gallons (put 4.8 gallons in, got about 3.2 gallons pumped out) would be a lot to have left in the tube between the tanks.
            Last edited by JeepinJon; 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM.
            Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
            4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

^^^ No I haven’t done anything yet because I wasn’t quite ready to work on it. Good idea though and I will definitely give it a try in a few days and report back the results.

Comment

To be honest, I've had my bumper for a few months now and it doesn't impress me much, not at the price. It should be priced at around $1100 and even then there are a lot of bumpers just as good and whose accessories aren't nearly as overpriced as AEV. I originally bought front and rear but after getting the rear and the front hadn't shipped yet, I called and cancelled it. Just for grins today, I filled the tanks on mine. I was able to pump out almost 3 gallons so that leaves almost 2 gallons to brew some nice bacteria in. Honestly, when we were installing mine and the guys in my club saw the white cap and white plain PVC for the tanks everyone had a great big joke about it. Really surprising that something so expensive is just jury-rigged...

Comment

Can't please everyone

Comment

I busted one of the fittings on my bumper tanks a few weeks ago and since I was replacing it, I decided to plumb a tee and a little ball valve into the line. I think I am going to work on it a little more and try to get the tee tucked up out of the way a bit better, but this has made for a super easy way to access the stored water and I really don't mind having a little tubing showing.

The tee swivels on the PEX and I tied a hose bib connector off to one of the body mounts to hold the valve when it is not in use. This also keeps all of the crap out of the end of the valve when you are driving and so far, has worked really well.

I like it a lot better than the pump, but now it has me thinking of how to rig an electric pump in there

I got all the parts at the local hardware store. If anyone is interested and wants some more detail, just let me know.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by offcamber View Post
                      To be honest, I've had my bumper for a few months now and it doesn't impress me much, not at the price. It should be priced at around $1100 and even then there are a lot of bumpers just as good and whose accessories aren't nearly as overpriced as AEV.
                      Out of curiosity, what are the factors that you're looking for in a rear bumper, and what other bumpers meet them?

For me, I want low-profile (so when I'm crawling up a steep rock, and the rear bumper drags along the ground until the rear tires hit the rock and start to climb up, there's less rear bumper to drag/get hung-up on), rattle-free, and the tire carrier has to swing open with the tailgate (not separately from).

What's interesting to me, is that here in 2012, is how many other bumpers are on "generation 2" or "generation 3" designs, where they've gone back and retooled their design to address issues. If you have a previous generation bumper from those folks, it seems to me like you're SOL. How much would I have spent back in 2009 if I went with a "first gen" bumper/tire carrier like that? $1100 up front, plus the time/effort to install it, live with the issues, then try to sell the old bumper/tire carrier for 1/2 price (to someone I didn't know, so I wouldn't have to feel bad for them inheriting the issues), dropping another $1100, plus the time/effort to reinstall the "new design" bumper/tire carrier?

I'm not saying that life wouldn't be better if the AEV bumper came with a black cap/plumbing or a hand pump that got 100% of the water out, but honestly, if those are the only design/performance issues you have with a bumper that HASN'T been retooled since it hit the market back in 2009, and it's bugging you that much, ... dang!
                      Last edited by aristobrat; 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM.
                      '10 JKU Rubicon/auto/5.13s - AEV 4.5 + 37 KM2s (on Pintlers), AEV Front Bumper/Skid/Warn 9.5ti, AEV Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, AEV Diff Skid, PS Evap Skid, Rock Hard Oil/Tran/Cat Skid

Comment

I agree that the AEV bumper is very well designed. I am constantly impressed at how smoothly the tire carrier is set up and handles a 37" tire. I also think it is one of the nicest looking bumpers out there and the capacity to store water in an otherwise unused space is just icing on the cake!

Comment

To me this breaks down to basic logic. Decide what features are important to you and then find the product that is the best at providing those features. The feature coming under fire here seems to be the water tanks. So who is doing a better job of providing that feature in their bumper? Who are you comparing AEV to that AEV is coming up short? Oh wait; no one else provides that feature so the only way to complain about it is to compare AEV to themselves?

Comment

My only issue is in the water tanks not the bumper itself. I knew going in that the bumper/tire carrier was very expensive but having the water tanks was a big plus to me. I live in the desert and wheel with a dog so carrying a couple of extra gallons of water just for the dog alone plus emergency water in the bumper and not in my Jeep taking up preciouses space sealed the deal.

I still think the tanks are a great idea, but what’s given you as far as water extraction falls short in my opinion and could use a "generation 2" redesign. Saying that doesn’t change my mind at all as far as AEV goes, I have always thought and still do that they are one of the best after market companies bar none. To me it’s no big deal that at times some things need improvements done especially when it’s something totally new, just don’t try and say that there isn’t a problem when clearly there is.

As far as the bumper and carrier goes it has seen some redesigning (improvements) too from the first ones that came out so why not the tanks?

Why some that have posted in this thread keep referring to getting every drop (100%) of water out of the tanks as something that I said or expected is just plain ignorant. I never once said or referred to such nonsense.

Comment

Not sure why I never read this thread before today !!! Thought I was on the Jeep Forum for a minute .

Comment

[QUOTE=1222;34038]
                                "I still think the tanks are a great idea, but what’s given you as far as water extraction falls short in my opinion and could use a "generation 2" redesign."

After two camping trips using the hand pump, I spent $7 on a Super Siphon. It works great and takes up less room than the hand pump. Problem solved. I also used the AEV touch up paint on the cap and PVC fittings. You can't even tell that they are there. K.I.S.S.
                                Last edited by Rexjc; 04-10-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X