Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Rexjc;34067]
    Originally posted by 1222 View Post
    "I still think the tanks are a great idea, but what’s given you as far as water extraction falls short in my opinion and could use a "generation 2" redesign."

After two camping trips using the hand pump, I spent $7 on a Super Siphon. It works great and takes up less room than the hand pump. Problem solved. I also used the AEV touch up paint on the cap and PVC fittings. You can't even tell that they are there. K.I.S.S.
    ...x2

I like both those solutions- Rex, Ryan.
    2009 JK Rubi (4DR, Det. Yellow)
    AEV: 3.5" SC, Fr/Rr Bumpers w/ all works, Corner Guards, Rr Diff Slider, Hood, Snorkel, Pre-Filter, Savegres

Comment

Well I re-filled the water tanks and then used an electric water pump and measured how much water I could remove again. This time I got a true 3 gallons and that was it. I used a gallon milk jug so I could keep track.

Then I went under the Jeep and cut out the white hose connecting both tanks. All I got from that was a few ounces that were in the hose itself. So it seems to be that the pass side tank is only receiving very little water.

At this point I’m probably just going to install plugs on the bottom of both tanks and use them separately. I’ll have to make some kind of hole on the top of the pass side tank for filling and extraction. Not sure how at the moment but will figure something out.

Comment

Spliting the tanks crossed my mind too but using one for water and the other for air, assuming it will hold the preasure.

Comment

Why would you use one side for air assuming it’s possible?

Comment

These tanks are almost 3 gallons, they don't take up any space under the Jeep and the location of the fittings is out of harms way. Pretty sure they are made from crosslinked poly so they should be VERY strong. I haven't taken a close look at mine since I installed them so I'm not sure if they have a seam or if they just have marks from the molding equipment. If they have a seam they may not be suitable for 90 psi which is the rating on the preasure switch I'm using now.

Comment

Dave do you think that the passenger side tank would hold 90 psi if I plumb air to it?

And yes I know it outside the design criteria and if I blow it out I'm okay with just buying a replacement. I'm just asking to see if there are obvious reasons not to do it.
              Last edited by oO_Rogue_Oo; 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

It will be a while before I buy a bumper but I wish instead of water carrier they were storage compartments, not permanent storage but something for lucky a muddy tow strap. Someone makes a front bumper with something similar. I think they are called smuggler bumpers or something like that. As much as I try I can't convince myself i could use that non drinking water.
                "Don't wish for it,work for it."
                2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

The tanks are food grade; so can be used for drinking water

Comment

Doesn't non potable mean non drinking?
                    "Don't wish for it,work for it."
                    2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

Yes it does; guess I could be mistaken but pretty sure I read they were food grade plastic. I use mine for wash water; for my pots n pans

Comment

Well I know why I could only get about 3 gallons of water out of both tanks instead of closer to the 4.8 gallons as advertised. The left side tank only holds roughly 1-4/5ths and the right side holds less than 1.5 gallons. That is not even close to what they are supposed to be.

Comment

I have not plumbed the tanks yet because I really don't like the white tube running under the bumper. Probably won't hit it but I also don't like the look.
                          After reading this I wonder if it would be better to try to put some type of filler on the right tank and have drains from the bottom of both?

Comment

That is exactly what I have done. I will post some pics as soon as I resize them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1222 View Post
                              That is exactly what I have done. I will post some pics as soon as I resize them.
                              Well?????

Comment

3 gal in--3 gal out

I have put in water many times with a gallon jug. Have only been able to get 3 gals to go in. I have tilted the car to get the water to go to the far side and checked the air vent. Never got more than 3 gals in.
                                I have also put in a T drain, to drain it all, so as not to freeze.

Comment

Working...
                                X