JK Suspension Testing photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK Suspension Testing photos

Thought some of you might like to see some of the behind the scenes shots of shock and geometry tuning we were up to this spring and summer before we released the JK suspension. We really focused on the best all around suspension for a vehicle that sees use beyond rock crawling, this involved trailer towing with the vehicle full of people and gear, high speed stability, ride comfort, and durability. This is the suspension you want if you're into exploring and using your vehicle for real world tasks.

This is a "one bump" event we hit to evaluate full travel events at speed, this helps significantly with certain aspects of shock tuning, but also makes things like bump steer and rear axle steer immediately apparent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YV4P1604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	188686

Here are some shot of testing bumpstops and hard landings. This is kind of fun at first, but after a while isn't so much fun anymore.

Name:	YV4P1682.jpg
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	188687

Name:	YV4P1683.jpg
Size:	776.4 KB
ID:	188688

This is the 300 foot skidpad, Jim can wear a set of brand new BFGs down in about 4 hours out here. We've really put an emphasis on safety and roll stability with no bad habbits on this suspension, but its testing like this that verifies the math. Notice how "flat" the vehicle is behaving, You can really "see" the G's if you look close at the tires on the Jeep.

Name:	YV4P5647.jpg
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	188689

Here is Jim in the 700ft slalom...I was watching a stock vehicle go through this at the Jeep specified maximum target speed of 58mph, the inside front tire was lifting a couple inches off the ground. These photos were taken at between 58 and 60mph (on 35s!) without lifting a tire. The beauty of this is that articulation is not affected at all. Again, if you look close, you can see how much the tires are under load on the right side of the vehicle. Again, notice how flat the car is staying even while at the limit of adhesion.

Name:	YV4P5662e.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	188690

More Below...
    2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
    2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Here are a couple more:

Jim and I discussing some finer points...

Name:	YV4P1660.jpg
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	170317

A gratuitous flex shot on one of our dealers vehicles.

Name:	P1010164.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	170318

Me really testing the bumpstops in a big way. (don't do this, the front axle housing isn't too fond of this immature behavior...)

Name:	DSC_6643.jpg
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	170316

dh
    2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Looks like it should be a great kit. Is that an OME steering stablizer I am seeing? Will that come with the kit, or be available to replace the stock one when the steering correction is done? Also is the black JK running the 3" kit with 35" tires, or the 4" kit that will be coming with 37" tires. I like the proportions of the way it is set up.
      Last edited by JeepinJon; 08-14-2008, 06:57 PM.
      Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
      4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

What is the "net" size difference between the OME kit?

Comment

Very good dave, looks like the Nth is well tested!

Jason
          Jason De Monto
          Trail Concepts
          480-788-7245
          2015 Jeep Rubicon
          Baja Yellow
          Dual Sport 106

Comment

Now I just need a JK unlimited and I'll be set.
            http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5403
            JK'ed Photography

Sponsor of Wheelers for the Wounded

Comment

Awesome suspension. From where'd you get the fender turn signals on this one?

Comment

Did you test any with a 5.7 or 6.1? Will they get different springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkopf View Post

Those are the stockers. The fenders just have side marker lights that can be connected into the turn signal as well so they blink. The turn signals are also in the stock location in the grille too.
                  Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
                  4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

Motorcycle? sure...

Jeep? HOLY CRAP!!!
                    Last edited by Ivanko; 08-15-2008, 09:35 AM.
                    Jeep Green 2008 JKU with a bunch of AEV stuff

Comment

Looks like it should be a great kit. Is that an OME steering stablizer I am seeing? Will that come with the kit, or be available to replace the stock one when the steering correction is done? Also is the black JK running the 3" kit with 35" tires, or the 4" kit that will be coming with 37" tires. I like the proportions of the way it is set up.
                      Yes, we use the OME damper, in the 3" kit we basically offer a standard kit and a premium kit, the differnece is the front steering correction and damper. In the photos, all but the silver vehicle in the air are running the 3"/35" combo, the silver one is 4"/37"

What is the "net" size difference between the OME kit?
                      Hard to answer without having identical cars here to measure, I would guess ours is taller.

Did you test any with a 5.7 or 6.1? Will they get different springs?
                      Yes, we have been testing all three engines. There will be a V8 front spring that is quite a bit heavier.

Keen eye, the red Jeep is an export model and the turn signal markers in the flare are bubbled out a bit to act as a side marker also.
                      Motorcycle? sure...

Jeep? HOLY CRAP!!!
                      Like I said, don't try that move...

dh
                      2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

dave, the steering dampner isnt included in the steering and premium kits is it?

email me some pictures of the test photos so i can add them as additional images to our site!
                        Quadratec Inc.

Comment

dave, the steering dampner isnt included in the steering and premium kits is it?

email me some pictures of the test photos so i can add them as additional images to our site!
                          The Damper IS included in the premium kit but is NOT included if you buy the steering correction kit a la carte.

dh
                          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Can we please have some photos of the side stance profiles of the JK's posing (just parked).. Maybe the 3"/35" combo and the 4"/37" and if you have a 4"/35" would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by AEV Dave View Post
                              The Damper IS included in the premium kit but is NOT included if you buy the steering correction kit a la carte.

dh
                              ahh, may want to clear that up in the newsletters and website, i didn't know that, have to fix that when i get to work Monday. Old man Emu right?
                              Quadratec Inc.

Comment

Working...
                              X