No announcement yet.

AEV swing away tire carrier off center?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEV swing away tire carrier off center?

I've noticed the AEV swing away tire carrier/bumper mounts the spare tire off center towards the passenger side. Not really sure why? But it will probably drive me crazy after I instal it not having the spare centered on the back. Is there any way to center the spare on this kit? Maybe with a bracket? If not, what is a good comparable rear bumper/swing away that I should look at?

It does not bother me, might even give a bit more visibility on the one side. I don't recall seeing any one complaine about it once installed.

Any one who has looked at it has never mentioned that it is off center.

I would get over this issue.
    03 TJ
    04.5 dodge
    11 JKU gone
    17 JKU, ult 60

Comment

I didn't like it at first, but don't really notice it now. On other forums people build a small adapter to center the tire.
      2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon
      4.5" AEV premium with AEV driveshaft,
      37x12.50x17 MTR/K on Procomp wheels,
      5:38 gears,
      AEV rear tire carrier on stock bumper,
      AEV floormats, Lightforce Lights.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm having difficulty finding another bumper/swing away combo that looks as tight as AEV's. I'll probably just go for it and live with the off center look. Quality looking product though!

Comment

it is offset like that so people who run tires 37" or larger can still get to the handle on the tailgate.
          Greg H.
          AEV employed since Moab 2007
          Going to work with a smile ever since!!

Comment

Totally opinion and in no way answers the OP's question, but I actually like it offset ... that's probably due to my Land Rover Defenderlust and the way the NAS 90s tire carriers were off-center, though. lol

T
            2012 JKU Rubicon - delivered 8/19/2011

Comment

I think it also helps distribute a the weight a little better on to the pivot point of the carrier. Toss a 37 on with a shovel and you won't really notice it.

Comment

Lots of engineering reason's why its done. We don't recommend moving though one could if they had to...the fuel caddy wouldn't work and there could be other ramifications.

FWIW the YJ and TJ were offset from the factory the same amount.

dh
                2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
                2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
                2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
                2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

Working...
                X