X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xjrguy View Post
    Isn't this supposed to be a family friendly forum...? hahahahaha
    Shut your shaft holster.
    08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
    Build thread: Here
    Lake Norman Crawlers

Comment

Old thread brought back to life. I'm looking into this right now. I have 35s with plans of switching to 37s. The steering is fine until it isn't. The 3-point manuever to get into my garage seems to stress the OEM power steering. On the rocks, I often loose steering as others have mentioned.

I've talked to people with the AEV lift that have tried using the Synergy sector shaft and steering box brace but ran into interference problems. Also, that kit is nearly $300 and only helps brace what's already a fairly weak sector shaft.

Switching to hydro assist solves several issues for $500-600 (WTOR Rdneck Ram kit). It takes most of the stress off of the steering box, sector shaft, and draglink (I think), while also increasing your turning power, and acting as an extra beefy steering dampener. It's also a lot cheaper than bracing, reinforcing all of those parts. Hydro assist is a redundant system. So if you change your mind, or it breaks, you can plug the extra ports in your steering box and go back to OEM power steering.
      2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

Comment

I am running the PSC Big Bore Steering Kit on my JKUR with 37s and 5.13 gears. No issues, no leaks, happy with it. I did have it installed at Offroad Evolution when the rest of my lift, axles, gears were getting done. Going to hydro assist is NOT needed unless you go to 40s. Looks cool though.
        https://www.amazon.com/PSC-SG688-200.../dp/B075TKP9Y8

Comment

It's been a while since I've checked out the forum. Good to see that Panhead and Jadkar are still exchanging good natured insults with each other. As far as adding hydro assist for 37's, I've seen plenty of rigs that have gone that rout and had a chance to drive one. The thing I didn't like about hydro assist is that it takes a lot of the "feel" out of the steering wheel. Personally, I like to know when the wheels are bound up against a rock. I'd much rather back up and take a different line that force my way through something. Even with hydro assist, the force has to go somewhere and there will always be a weak point. That said, I highly recommend that anyone running 37's add a sector shaft brace kit. I installed the Synergy front track bar brace and sector shaft brace kit. https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...tm_source=bing As long as you take off your tires, it's a fairly straightforward installation. One thing that wasn't clear is that you really need to use the Synergy trackbar with this kit. I already had a Synergy tie rod and drag link, so I didn't mind replacing the track bar. Once installed, everything clears and works perfectly with my 4.5" AEV lift.

Comment

Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
            Old thread brought back to life. I'm looking into this right now. I have 35s with plans of switching to 37s. The steering is fine until it isn't. The 3-point manuever to get into my garage seems to stress the OEM power steering. On the rocks, I often loose steering as others have mentioned.

I've talked to people with the AEV lift that have tried using the Synergy sector shaft and steering box brace but ran into interference problems. Also, that kit is nearly $300 and only helps brace what's already a fairly weak sector shaft.

Switching to hydro assist solves several issues for $500-600 (WTOR Rdneck Ram kit). It takes most of the stress off of the steering box, sector shaft, and draglink (I think), while also increasing your turning power, and acting as an extra beefy steering dampener. It's also a lot cheaper than bracing, reinforcing all of those parts. Hydro assist is a redundant system. So if you change your mind, or it breaks, you can plug the extra ports in your steering box and go back to OEM power steering.

Hey, on that synergy track bar and sector shaft brace kit it does work with the AEV lift kits. I have one and I'm running the AEV SC 3.5 lift.

Comment

Working...
            X