AEV 2.5 lift & driveshaft Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by porter View Post
    OK, found a picture. Did I get this right? If so, I think I am starting to understand. The Geo brackets eliminate tears in the Rzeppa boot but not the expansion boot. I think that was what WannaRun was trying to say when he talked about tears by the transfer case. Most of the boot tears I hear about are from the expansion boot contacting the transmission during extreme articulation.
    That is correct. The expansion boot catches on the lip where the oil pan attaches to the bottom of the transmission. Mine actually caught the fastener on the band that holds the boot on, twisted it a bit, and pulled the band off before the boot got torn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Martensen View Post
      Well all I can say is that my DS is still good and that AEV clearly states that a new one isn't necessary.

When mine contacted, it was discoed with a 2.5" frankenlift and a high steer kit. Thankfully it didn't tear it up. But that wasn't a comparable lift to the AEV 2.5

If you are able to swing it, I would contend that the 3.5" kit is the better lift, though. Not only is it higher with all of the advantages that go with it but it has a high steer kit which makes it handle at least as well as the 2.5. It is also upgradeable to 4.5" if you want to go that route in the future. The 2.5 is not. The 3.5 does a better job of maximizing running ground clearance as it brings the lowest hanging parts closer to even with the bottom of the axle tubes.

But if you need to keep it lower for social reasons or just keep it less expensive, the 2.5 is a great kit. AEV's progressive springs and proprietary Bilstein 5100s work really well together. And their rear track bar bracket remains the best available for its purpose.
      My thoughts exactly. I would very much like the extra clearance of the 3.5, and with the high steer kit the handling would still be reasonable. But I am on a budget and I want to upgrade the axles also. I already tore up the D44 last year and I thought I was being gentle. The $1,000 price difference could buy me an ARB locker.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I would very much like the extra clearance of the 3.5, and with the high steer kit the handling would still be reasonable. But I am on a budget and I want to upgrade the axles also. I already tore up the D44 last year and I thought I was being gentle. The $1,000 price difference could buy me an ARB locker.
        Well, you might consider a call to AEV tech support to see if there are ways and situations where they have seen DS issues on the 2.5. Maybe explain what you're thinking and your concerns. If you don't get through the first time, keep trying. I've had better luck with that than getting a call back. They've been straight with me in the past plus they probably have more to contribute than the BS you get here

Comment

You tore up a D44?? And you don't have a lift - so you have stock tires?

What trails in Moab are you wanting to do that you cannot do now? What size tire do you want to run.

Most people, well me at least, decide what size tire I want to run and then decide what lift I need to run that tire.

Comment

I really don't know the exact moment I tore up my D44. The only questionable thing I can remember was a pretty tough recovery of an Explorer stuck in the snow. I found fragments when changing the diff oil and when I pulled the cover the spider gears were chipped. I have a factory LSD and found fragments of the clutches also. I think that the clutch pack probably failed and that the tolerances on the spider gears may have loosened up misaligning the contact pattern on the spider gears leading to the failure. But that's just a guess.

The local dealer repaired the D44 under warranty. But the thing I still can't figure out is that they also replaced the axle shafts in addition to replacing the LSD. They said the R&P was still good. Why did they replace the axles? Twisted splines?

I have a 2" puck lift now and stock BFG KM tires to stay legal with the warranty police as long as possible. But now the 32s are worn out so I would like to move to 35s and a 4.88 gear ratio. I do not plan to move larger than 35s due to the stock D30 up front. I also want to put an ARB 35 spline kit in the rear D44, and a Truetrak up front. If I ever have the money I would replace the D30 with a PR44 and then 37s might be on my mind. But the chances of a PR44 is remote due to the cost.

As for Moab trails? I do much more expedition that rock crawling. That's why I want progressive springs. When I ran the White Rim Trail last year and I was bottoming out all the time due to the weight of the camping gear. Last time I ran Elephant Hill I scraped bottom a lot so I want more clearance. I might like to try Golden Spike with a lift and 35s but probably not more than that.

I also want to start exploring Ouray Colorado. Poughkeepsie Gulch is high on my list.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

It would be good to hear if anybody actually running the 2.5 Dualsport XT lift has had any issues with drive-shaft Rzeppa or Expansion boots tearing. Real world experience is always better than theory.

Comment

I also want to start exploring Ouray Colorado. Poughkeepsie Gulch is high on my list.
                That whole area has great 4x4. And the views are mind-blowing. I have family in Montrose and have been camping in that vicinity since I was a kid. There is a ton I haven't seen though.

Do it. You'll love it!

Comment

It would be good to hear if anybody actually running the 2.5 Dualsport XT lift has had any issues with drive-shaft Rzeppa or Expansion boots tearing. Real world experience is always better than theory.
                  I've had the 2.5" DS lift (with geo brackets) since it was released on my 2009 JKUR and the Rzeppa joint boot hasn't cracked or leaked any grease. I do have a manual transmission so I can't comment on the expansion boot.

Comment

http://www.m4x4a.org/gallery2/d/131890-2/DSCF1686.JPG

I have many hundreds of off-road miles on this lift. I have flexed my 2012 JKU to the limits of the 2.5 AEV suspension and my front drive shaft is doing well. I have no doubt that there are better lifts for those who use their rigs for 90% off road but this is a great (as AEV puts it) Dual Sport or dual use lift. Kit improves both the on-highway and the off-road control and ride. It improved handling a great deal over what is IMHO already a great ride for this type of vehicle.. Areas where the wash-boarded road would throw me around before now are taken much faster with MUCH less trouble. To my surprise the changes to rear track bar tower make a serious change in the articulation of the rear axle. This makes for a smoother ride over rough terrain. Let’s just say I am a fan of this lift.
                    Last edited by c2t; 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM. Reason: oops!
                    President, Frontier 4x4 Club (Helena Montana)
                    Vice President, Montana 4x4 Association
                    Member, United Four Wheel Drive Association
                    Member, Continental 4 Wheel Drive Association (Butte Montana)
                    Chairman, Montana All Airborne Chapter, 82nd Airborne Association

2012 JK Rubicon, AEV 2.5" Lift, AEV front Bumper, 35" Treadwright tires, Warn 9.5ti Winch, CSI Performance Off-Road lights

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X