X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nezsm
    replied
    Originally posted by AEV Chris View Post

GIve us a call. Things like this are easier to troubleshoot and diagnose over the phone versus the forum. We are available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. 248-926-0256. Dial ext. 251 for Patrick.
    I called Patrick and he had my call the company that makes the system for AEV, my harness was nearly cut in half by the linkage on the tailgate and tire carrier. I called the number he gave me and left a voicemail and I went to the companies web site and called their support line. Spoke with a lady who told me to send pics of the camera and harness and she would call me back, that was on Mon but haven't heard back. I can not safely back up my Jeep, so I cut the splices and checked every wire and pin in the harness. I found that there were two burnt up wires and pins in the harness (red and brown wires), I spliced in a new wire and got the camera to work. I then used heat sealing butt connectors and electrical heat shrink to make everything water proof.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• AEV Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by nezsm View Post
    AEV - The backup camera harness on my 2015 JK350 got pinched between the tire carrier linkage and part of the either tire carrier or fuel caddie. I tried to splice the wires but with no luck. I used a multimeter to check for voltage at the splices and wasn't getting any voltage, chassis side was good (13ish volts), so I unplugged the connector and tested for continuity between the camera side of the harness and the spliced butt connectors and I found at least one burnt wire. Do you sell just the camera/led with harness? Also my JK350 only has a little less then 35k miles and was built in July 2015.
    GIve us a call. Things like this are easier to troubleshoot and diagnose over the phone versus the forum. We are available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. 248-926-0256. Dial ext. 251 for Patrick.

Leave a comment:

• nezsm
    replied
    AEV - The backup camera harness on my 2015 JK350 got pinched between the tire carrier linkage and part of the either tire carrier or fuel caddie. I tried to splice the wires but with no luck. I used a multimeter to check for voltage at the splices and wasn't getting any voltage, chassis side was good (13ish volts), so I unplugged the connector and tested for continuity between the camera side of the harness and the spliced butt connectors and I found at least one burnt wire. Do you sell just the camera/led with harness? Also my JK350 only has a little less then 35k miles and was built in July 2015.

Leave a comment:

• JetRanger
    replied
    Originally posted by thedude73 View Post
    Well I've yet to receive the replacement that was supposed to be sent out Monday (got no tracking or any communication all week). And after installing the fuel caddy that required me to remove the camera briefly (just dismounted from the metal mount, threaded through the caddy, then remounted - no wire harness disconnect), the lines are completely gone and the picture is crystal clear. Has been for about 2 weeks now. Probably should still accept the replacement and send this one back, however, as it could come back, and then it will be more challenging to get it replaced down the road.
    I have found there is an issue in the connector that connects the camera harness to the long harness that runs through the Jeep. When I first installed mine about 2 years ago, it was completely dead. Spoke with AEV tech support who were very helpful to me. I initially thought I pinned the white connector behind the radio incorrectly. They even sent me a replacement connector for the one I buggered up, before I realized there was a pin lock release on the connector, Turns out I had it correct, but the camera never worked. Life happened, and about 6 months elapsed and I figured I would recheck everything once more before calling AEV to get deeper into this. I was convinced the camera was bad. I checked all the connections and all LOOKED OK at a quick glance ... However, after careful examination of the connector at the camera I noticed the male pins in the socket that is part of the long harness that the camera plugs into, were not all sticking through the connector at the same length. I took a small needle nose and gave every pin a quick gentle tug and found two of them clicked into place. To my surprise.. SUCCESS! The camera worked! ... For two weeks, then died again. Once again, I went back to that connector, this time spreading the 2 pin rows away from each other to make better connection with the contacts camera plug. It worked! However, every few months the image will still go black. A quick shake, reconnect of the connector, or pin spread, fixes it every time. In two years I have encountered no image, black and white image, lines through the image, noisy image, and last week a rolling image just as if the vertical hold on an old TV was out of adjustment. Each time the problem has been in that connector. I should have called AEV about the problem a long time ago, I'm sure they would have sent me a new harness, but to be honest it fails so randomly and is corrected so easily that I'm too lazy to want to go through the hassle of pulling the dash all apart again to correct it for good.

Bottom line: After reading your post about the installing the caddy, I'm pretty sure your camera is fine and that connector, either the socket on the harness or plug on the camera is your culprit.

Leave a comment:

• thedude73
    replied
    Well I've yet to receive the replacement that was supposed to be sent out Monday (got no tracking or any communication all week). And after installing the fuel caddy that required me to remove the camera briefly (just dismounted from the metal mount, threaded through the caddy, then remounted - no wire harness disconnect), the lines are completely gone and the picture is crystal clear. Has been for about 2 weeks now. Probably should still accept the replacement and send this one back, however, as it could come back, and then it will be more challenging to get it replaced down the road.

Leave a comment:

• AEV_Matt
    replied
    Glad everything was able to get straightened out. Diagnosing the actual problem on the specific unit you are sending back may be difficult to do without attempting install it in house. Most likely it will be sent back to our supplier who manufactures the actual camera and they will put it through their own evaluation process. If I was to guess, I would say the issue was probably in the camera and not the harness.

Leave a comment:

• thedude73
    replied
    After working with AEV through Northridge 4x4, they are sending me a replacement camera. You guys are awesome! If you can, would you be able to tell me what the problem was with the digitized lines I experienced? Wiring short in the harness(es), or something in the camera?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• thedude73
    replied
    Originally posted by AEV_Matt View Post

Please give our tech support a call at (248) 926-0256. We would like to see if we can trouble shoot it before sending out a new unit. Thanks!
    Hard to call you guys during the day as I'm at work. I bought it from Northridge 4x4 to add to my AEV JKUR and have sent them a link to a video showing the problem. Here's the link if that helps:

Leave a comment:

• AEV_Matt
    replied
    Originally posted by thedude73 View Post
    Installed my camera about 2 weeks ago on my 2011 JK351 with 430N. Picture was awesome...for about 3-4 days. Now I have weird digitized lines popping up across the screen that move around, making the picture somewhat grainy. Did nothing extreme and my AEV rig isn't a daily driver, so it spends most of the time in the garage.

Any ideas here before I contact AEV for a replacement? I know it's not the 430N - as I stated, the picture was crystal clear for the first few days of use. No major event occurred on the day I first noticed the digitizing. Thanks!
    Please give our tech support a call at (248) 926-0256. We would like to see if we can trouble shoot it before sending out a new unit. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• thedude73
    replied
    Installed my camera about 2 weeks ago on my 2011 JK351 with 430N. Picture was awesome...for about 3-4 days. Now I have weird digitized lines popping up across the screen that move around, making the picture somewhat grainy. Did nothing extreme and my AEV rig isn't a daily driver, so it spends most of the time in the garage.

Any ideas here before I contact AEV for a replacement? I know it's not the 430N - as I stated, the picture was crystal clear for the first few days of use. No major event occurred on the day I first noticed the digitizing. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JR007
    replied
    AEV Rear Vision System Now BLANK

We had a light rain yesterday and my backup camera is now blank. All I see is the "Check Surrounding Area..." message and a black screen. I have only had my JK351 for about 2 months.

Any suggestions of what the issue could be?

Please advise.

Leave a comment:

• Shadysailor
    replied
    Originally posted by JK TREW View Post
    I didn't use the AEV rear view vision but I did connect a camera on top of the third brake light and hook it up to a NavTool. I have a manual transmission and Lock Pic was not an option. I am very pleased with the product. I plan on getting the AEV camera for my father though since all he needs is the back up camera option and has a jeep without Nav.
    Thanks for the follow-up, pics?

Leave a comment:

• JK TREW
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadysailor View Post
    I may have missed the answer to this question in the posts, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Has anyone installed the JK Rear Vision system with the Lockpick already being used or found a way to utilize it with the Lockpick system (splicing, etc)?
    I didn't use the AEV rear view vision but I did connect a camera on top of the third brake light and hook it up to a NavTool. I have a manual transmission and Lock Pic was not an option. I am very pleased with the product. I plan on getting the AEV camera for my father though since all he needs is the back up camera option and has a jeep without Nav.

Leave a comment:

• Shadysailor
    replied
    JK Rear Vision w/ Lockpick

I may have missed the answer to this question in the posts, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Has anyone installed the JK Rear Vision system with the Lockpick already being used or found a way to utilize it with the Lockpick system (splicing, etc)?

Leave a comment:

• Caretaker
    replied
    OK. What a shame! I was hoping to route it to a toggle switch like the light on the tire carrier. Thanks for the reply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X