Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox Shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by JeepinJon View Post
    The spring rates are the same on the 3.5 and 4.5, just two different lengths netting either 3.5 or 4.5" of lift, so they can use the same shocks. Realistically you could do these shocks (or the OME shocks) with the external adjusters and get them close to the same compression and rebound rates as the AEV shocks if you wanted to. I would argue that the main things that make the AEV lift work so well are the springs and geometry, and the shocks can be changed depending on personal preference since you could go softer or firmer with them.
    That was my thought too. Thanks for the validation.
    2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

    Comment


    • #32
      Bringing it back from the dead! Instead of the 10in travel shocks Rex mentioned, has anyone tried using12in travel Fox Shocks?

      After being really impressed with my new Fox ATS stabilizer, I've been looking into replacing the Bilstein 5100s that came with my 3.5in SC kit with something a better. The AEV kit's been great, but I've noticed more left to right sway after switching the 37s. As a higher percentage of my 4x4ing involves rock crawling, I'd also like to eek a little more travel out of the AEV suspension without screwing up the front end handling.

      This is my current set up:
      - BFG KO2 37s
      - AEV 3.5 SC with geo correction brackets and high steer in the 3.5 setting
      - 1 inch spacers in the rear (for leveling purposes when loaded)
      - 4in bump stop extensions in the rear
      - Timbren Off road bump stops front and rear.

      Shocks:
      FOX-985-26-013 Jeep Wrangler JK 2WD/4WD Yes 2007+ Front 6.5-8" 12.1" 17.7 29.8"
      FOX-985-26-012 Jeep Wrangler JK 2WD/4WD Yes 2007+ Rear 4-6" 11.6" 16.85" 28.45"

      The Bilstein 5100s are:
      Front - 18.5" to 28.5"
      Rear - 18.3" to 27.8"

      I'd like to use these longer shocks to net 1.5in more droop. I'll probably need spring retainers, and EVO rockstar rear shock skids to move the mounting point of the rear shocks up 1.5 inches. The front pinion might bind, but otherwise, it seems like it should work while giving me more travel, heat capacity and adjustability.

      2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
        Bringing it back from the dead! Instead of the 10in travel shocks Rex mentioned, has anyone tried using12in travel Fox Shocks?

        After being really impressed with my new Fox ATS stabilizer, I've been looking into replacing the Bilstein 5100s that came with my 3.5in SC kit with something a better. The AEV kit's been great, but I've noticed more left to right sway after switching the 37s. As a higher percentage of my 4x4ing involves rock crawling, I'd also like to eek a little more travel out of the AEV suspension without screwing up the front end handling.

        This is my current set up:
        - BFG KO2 37s
        - AEV 3.5 SC with geo correction brackets and high steer in the 3.5 setting
        - 1 inch spacers in the rear (for leveling purposes when loaded)
        - 4in bump stop extensions in the rear
        - Timbren Off road bump stops front and rear.

        Shocks:
        FOX-985-26-013 Jeep Wrangler JK 2WD/4WD Yes 2007+ Front 6.5-8" 12.1" 17.7 29.8"
        FOX-985-26-012 Jeep Wrangler JK 2WD/4WD Yes 2007+ Rear 4-6" 11.6" 16.85" 28.45"

        The Bilstein 5100s are:
        Front - 18.5" to 28.5"
        Rear - 18.3" to 27.8"

        I'd like to use these longer shocks to net 1.5in more droop. I'll probably need spring retainers, and EVO rockstar rear shock skids to move the mounting point of the rear shocks up 1.5 inches. The front pinion might bind, but otherwise, it seems like it should work while giving me more travel, heat capacity and adjustability.
        Have you looked at TF falcon shocks?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jeffd View Post

          Have you looked at TF falcon shocks?
          Yeah. I've had bad experiences with Teraflex suspension parts before. Maybe it's the control arm joints they use, but Jeeps with their suspensions always seem to sound like old pirate ships on the trail. So I generally try to avoid them.
          2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post

            Yeah. I've had bad experiences with Teraflex suspension parts before. Maybe it's the control arm joints they use, but Jeeps with their suspensions always seem to sound like old pirate ships on the trail. So I generally try to avoid them.
            I have not experienced that, but I can see how that would be bothersome. I am coming off an aev 2.5 and 3.5 and I love my Falcons 3.1's.

            Comment


            • #36
              I watched the video about the falcons last night. The 3.3's seem interesting. I'm not sure why the reservoir is in such a vulnerable spot though. Teraflex used to use Fox Shox. I wonder if they switched for quality reasons or, probably more likely, to keep more of the revenue.
              2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
                I watched the video about the falcons last night. The 3.3's seem interesting. I'm not sure why the reservoir is in such a vulnerable spot though. Teraflex used to use Fox Shox. I wonder if they switched for quality reasons or, probably more likely, to keep more of the revenue.
                I suppose there are a lot of valid reasons to manufacture in house, including both cost and QC, but kind of cool they start from blank billet to completion. I wheel pretty hard, mostly in rocks and have not had an issue with the reservoir. I do have the skids but even those show no hits.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jeffd View Post

                  I suppose there are a lot of valid reasons to manufacture in house, including both cost and QC, but kind of cool they start from blank billet to completion. I wheel pretty hard, mostly in rocks and have not had an issue with the reservoir. I do have the skids but even those show no hits.
                  That reservoir location probably works well for adjusting them.

                  After looking into it, it turns out that the coil springs are the limiting factor for wheel travel. They're too short to work with longer shocks. And there's not much point to more travel if there's no weight on the tire. I think I'm going to move on and look into coilover conversions. It would be nice to be able to adjust the lift height and shock valving as the truck's weight changes. I also wouldn't mind 12 inches of travel and a plusher ride.

                  The AEV set up is perfect for 90% of what I do. But that extra 10% is what ends up costing you a fortune.

                  *After looking into coilovers, they require too many other modifications (exhaust, sway bars, brake lines, stud-breaking 3.75" BS wheels). This stuff can never be easy.
                  Last edited by klausvanwinkle; 11-15-2018, 09:24 PM.
                  2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X