This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please contact us: Bumper corrosion issue

While AEV makes every attempt to provide the best coatings available, occasionally we find issues that need to be addressed. There have been some corrosion issues due to the media blasting material becoming trapped in the seam on the top of the bumper. Both the steel particles can rust (easily cleaned, but also occasionally the material would prevent adequate coating. This typically only shows up in certain states (and Canada) that use Magnesium Chloride as a deicer on the roads. Changes have been made to address this on bumpers made more recently.

Most bumpers can be easily repaired with a Corrosion Enhancement kit that we recently developed to combat this issue. This kit can also be used on bumpers that show no signs of corrosion but where owners are concerned about the potential for corrosion because of their location.

If you feel you need help, please EMAIL the following to Corey Rider at: crider@aev-conversions.com or call him at ext 234
    1. Name
    2. Address
    3. Where and when purchased
    4. Photographs of the issue

We have been testing in a independent corrosion laboratory. The Corrosion Enhancement kit (both new and as a repair) in a corrosion chamber to simulate over 5 years of exposure has been very successful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCPicture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	192836

Click image for larger version

Name:	ccPicture2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	192837

Last edited by benb; 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM. Reason: Added YouTube Video
    2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
    2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
    2013 KTM 450XC-W

This seems like a great step forward on this bumper issue. Hopefully this meets everyone's demand for a fix.

Comment

And this is the reason AEV is so great. Name me one other aftermarket company that would go through the time and expense.
      KB1TFH
      ----------------
      '08 Rubicon Unlimited in Jeep Green
      3.5" AEV SC Lift, RockHard Skids, OR-FAB Gas Can/Tire Carrier, ShrockWorks Mid Front Bumper, Warn XD9000i Front Winch, Warn Magnum 9K Rear Winch, Smuggler rear Winch Bumper, Hi-Lift Xtreme Jack, Blitz Gerry Cans, Warn SPI Compressor, etc... ...and a distinct lack of skill using it all.

Comment

Dang! I love AEV's front bumper. I just bought an more expensive aluminum alternative to avoid the corrosion problem associated with steel. If only this post was 2 weeks earlier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconTi View Post
          And this is the reason AEV is so great. Name me one other aftermarket company that would go through the time and expense.
          I agree.
          "Dont wish for it,work for it."
          2014 Anvil Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited-Procal-Heat Reduction hood and Snorkel with prefilter-black Pintlers-Superlift 2.5 with AEV Geo brackets-buffalo key chain

Comment

Any details on that "kit"?

Sent via my bongo drums...
            2013 Triple White JKUR CRD (2.8 VM Motori DIESEL), AEV 3.5" SC, Argent Pintlers, 35x12,5 Cooper STT, JW Speaker Evo2, Hot Head Headliners, AEV front and rear bumper with tire carrier, RR wich with synthetic rope (hidden install), Webasto diesel heater, sPOD, custom dual battery setup, backup camera, GOBI stealth, James Baroud Tent...

Comment

re

I just sent my pics and info. The dealer has been giving me the run around about my rusting bumper for 4 months. It came on a 2012 COD MW3 I bought in July new as a left over. Thanks for addressing the issue!!

Comment

I was contacted about the kit and it is prep instructions and a seam sealer.

I was going to do this process anyway. I am happy though.
                Last edited by reid443; 06-03-2014, 12:38 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

The repair looks great. Thanks AEV!!!
                  Moab with AEV front and rear bumpers with pump, front skid plate. Warn Zeon, heat reduction hood, AEV 2.5 lift, pintler wheels with 33/12.5/17 tires, tire carrier, procal, mud flaps, mats and cargo liner.

Comment

They are all steel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it just looks like fiber where the bumpers were cut in half and now the paint is either sanded away or burnt from the cutting.

I've seen a cut bumper before that was made into a stubby.
                      2014 Red JKUR
                      AEV rear bumper
                      AEV rear diff skid

2012 4-Door Silver MW3 Traded in 6/14
                      2011 JK Detonator Yellow 4-Door - sold 4/12
                      2007 JK Silver 2-Door - sold 4/11

Comment

If you look at the corosion chamber picture it doesn't appear to be large enough to hold an entire bumper, and in the pictures you are seeing each side is acouf 2/5 of the bumper, so this leads me to think the markings we are seeing are the locations they affixed the bumper into the chamber, or perhaps the corrosion where they cut the bumper to fit into the chamber.
                        Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
                        4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.

Comment

I'm guessing they cut the bumper to expose steel then used a sealant and weather tested the sealant. I assume the sealant is white from looking at the pictures. just a guess...

Comment

I need to email,my pics to AEV, as my bumper is rusting in four places (I'm in St. Louis, MO). But what exactly is this kit? Am I going to be repainting the entire bumper? I was glad to find this thread, because my bumper is only two years old and I was extremely frustrated when it started rusting at this seam.

Comment

x2

any before and after pictures??

Sent via my bongo drums...
                              2013 Triple White JKUR CRD (2.8 VM Motori DIESEL), AEV 3.5" SC, Argent Pintlers, 35x12,5 Cooper STT, JW Speaker Evo2, Hot Head Headliners, AEV front and rear bumper with tire carrier, RR wich with synthetic rope (hidden install), Webasto diesel heater, sPOD, custom dual battery setup, backup camera, GOBI stealth, James Baroud Tent...

Comment

Working...
                              X