Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG AT KO2 37x12.5r17s with 3.5 and 4.10s

Anyone have this combination?

Considering that the new BFG KO2s in 37x12.5r17 are D-rated, weigh 68lbs and measure in at 35.375" mounted, they seem like they'd make a great true 35" AT tire. At 68lbs they weight almost the same as BFG KM2 D rated or BFG KO2 E rated in 35x12.5r17. This makes me wonder: how do you all think they'd work with a sleeved and gusseted Dana 44 front axle and the AEV 3.5" lift?

It seems like 35s and the 3.5" lift are necessary to gain a decent break over angle (same as my mildly lifted old 100 series lane cruiser on 295/75/16s). But BFG AT KO2s run so small, they might as well be 295/75/16s. The 37s would probably have slightly more leverage but they're almost the same diameter as a truer 35 like a toyo MT and actually weigh substantially lighter. From a ride comfort perspective, they're D rated and would probably better suit the weight of a JKU then the E rated 35s.

With all this in mind, how bad do you all think the performance and gas mileage hit would be with the new 37" KO2s?

My wishful thinking makes me think that for gearing the procal and 4.10 gears might be able to deal with the true 35" diameter. And as for rotational mass, 68lbs isn't any worse than any 35" tire (other than duratracs).

What do yall think?
    2014 Granite JKUR w/expo stuff

I am thinking the same thing. The weight of the 37" KO2 will not hurt power lose to the rear wheels more than the 35" (same weight). The change in gear ratio due to the extra tire height will hurt performance compared to 35" tire. Not sure how much diff it would feel when comparing the two. I would think the axle would not be under anymore stress than with a 35" tire at the same weight. There is a trade off with either vs stock. I am really thinking about going with the 37" KO2
    2012 WHITE JKUR WITH AEV 3.5" LIFT,AEV CORNER GUARDS, AEV WHEELS, AEV BUMPERS, AEV HOOD, WARN 9.5 CTI, COOPER 35" STT TIRES, IPF LIGHTS, ROCK HARD 4X4 SKID PLATES, SPOD, AIRAID INTAKE, DIABLOSPORT TUNE, NITRO AXLE SLEEVES - SOLD

2014 AMP'D 2DR RUBICON X. Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers, Maximus-3 winch plate, Warn 9.5 CTI-S,AEV 2.5" lift, JKS control arm brackets and adj front track bar and OME s.s.

Comment

BFG AT KO2 37x12.5r17s with 3.5 and 4.10s

The other issue I see is that the 37 and the 3.5" lift would put the overall height just past the especially low parking decks in my neck of the woods. I think the deck at my gym is 6'6" and a lot of the decks in downtown Santa Monica are 6'5". My last land cruiser didn't fit either and it became a pain point with my wife (always taking her car for fear mine wouldn't fit, not to mention the gas).

So it seems like a choice of get the 35s and see how they are. Or get 37s and decide if you need to regear.

Comment

If you go with these 37's on your 3.5 lift, can you measure the overall height of the Jeep. I'm interested in doing this but need to make sure I can clear my garage door with the high-lift installed on the rear bumper.
        2012 JKUR, AEV Premium Front and Rear Bumpers w/ carrier, WARN 9.5ctis, AEV 3.5" Dualsport RS w/ Bilstein 5160's, DynoMax Black Cat Exhaust, AEV Savegre Wheels, 35" Goodyear Dura Trac's, RockGEAR tubular doors, etc...

Comment

Just take your hilift off or cut a little off the top.

Comment

Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
            Just take your hilift off or cut a little off the top.
            Because that makes way too much sense! I'm too used to finding the hard solution I guess...
            2012 JKUR, AEV Premium Front and Rear Bumpers w/ carrier, WARN 9.5ctis, AEV 3.5" Dualsport RS w/ Bilstein 5160's, DynoMax Black Cat Exhaust, AEV Savegre Wheels, 35" Goodyear Dura Trac's, RockGEAR tubular doors, etc...

Comment

I just cleaned my hi lift that used to live on my rear bumper. I keep it inside now. Ha

Comment

Originally posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
                Anyone have this combination?

Considering that the new BFG KO2s in 37x12.5r17 are D-rated, weigh 68lbs and measure in at 35.375" mounted, they seem like they'd make a great true 35" AT tire. At 68lbs they weight almost the same as BFG KM2 D rated or BFG KO2 E rated in 35x12.5r17. This makes me wonder: how do you all think they'd work with a sleeved and gusseted Dana 44 front axle and the AEV 3.5" lift?

It seems like 35s and the 3.5" lift are necessary to gain a decent break over angle (same as my mildly lifted old 100 series lane cruiser on 295/75/16s). But BFG AT KO2s run so small, they might as well be 295/75/16s. The 37s would probably have slightly more leverage but they're almost the same diameter as a truer 35 like a toyo MT and actually weigh substantially lighter. From a ride comfort perspective, they're D rated and would probably better suit the weight of a JKU then the E rated 35s.

With all this in mind, how bad do you all think the performance and gas mileage hit would be with the new 37" KO2s?

My wishful thinking makes me think that for gearing the procal and 4.10 gears might be able to deal with the true 35" diameter. And as for rotational mass, 68lbs isn't any worse than any 35" tire (other than duratracs).

What do yall think?
                There are a few people on here running 3.5" lift with 37" KM2's. One of which I know went to the the rear 4.5" bump stops. All AEV products on his also. Since the AT KO2's are very close in size, I would say you could do the same or go to a high clearance fender flare and run the 3.5" bumps.

If parking garages are a a consideration on your build, I would forget going to 37's all together. That will also negate your re-gear or sleeve and gusset.

I've run 35's and 37's on all 5 builds and have yet to tweak my front axle. My wheeling style may differ from others. If you plan to have excessive wheel spin and bounce the front end to get over obstacles, skip the sleeve and gusset and start looking at front axle housings. I've seen full external trusses and internal sleeves both give way. It depends on how hard your going to be on this rig.

To answer part of your original questions: 37's on the stock 410's is OK at best. I ran a previous build that way for three months. After loading it down with gear, I went back to 35's on a 4.5" lifted JKU. Keep in mind I'm also at 5000ft and higher driving out here.

You may also want to look into an LCOG build too. With high clearance flares, you can run 37's. When seeing a 3.5" on 35's next to a 2.5 on 37's, they are very close. Once I get mine done, I'll get AP, DP, and BO angles off of the Hard Rock bumpers.
                16 RAM 2500 Power Wagon on 37"KO2's
                TAIL RATED

Comment

BFG AT KO2 37x12.5r17s with 3.5 and 4.10s

Thanks for all the info Timgco. I was mostly toying with the idea. I really want the 3.5 with 35" KM2s. But I hear they're replacing the KM2s next summer or so. And they keep going out of stop. It makes me leery about investing $1500+ in them should I ever need a replacement. KO2s would be a lot more economical and practical in SoCal but E-rated tires on a lightish JKUR seems uncomfortable. Although I run higher pressure than most in my C rated Km1s.

In my opinion the 35" KM2s with the 3.5" lift look perfect. Good width, good amount of fender gap etc. The KO2s look wider and shorter. I don't like when you can start seeing the front coil tower over the front tire or when the rear tire is below the top of the frame. I fear that the wheel well gaps will look excessive on my un-bumpered build with KO2s.

And the 2.5" lift doesn't seem like enough of a clearance improvement with all the JKUs low hanging bits.

Hence the conundrum. I'll probably end up with 3.5 and 35" KO2s.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10409375_10204368217191517_604782091295291123_n.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	180766

I saw this jeep at the offroad expo a few weeks ago. Just to give you an idea of what a 2.5" lift, 37" KO2 tires and fenders look like.
                    2012 WHITE JKUR WITH AEV 3.5" LIFT,AEV CORNER GUARDS, AEV WHEELS, AEV BUMPERS, AEV HOOD, WARN 9.5 CTI, COOPER 35" STT TIRES, IPF LIGHTS, ROCK HARD 4X4 SKID PLATES, SPOD, AIRAID INTAKE, DIABLOSPORT TUNE, NITRO AXLE SLEEVES - SOLD

2014 AMP'D 2DR RUBICON X. Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers, Maximus-3 winch plate, Warn 9.5 CTI-S,AEV 2.5" lift, JKS control arm brackets and adj front track bar and OME s.s.

Comment

We run 4.10's with true 37's all the time just add 4.5" rear bumps. Since your running closer to a true 35 your just fine. Sleeving the front axle is a bandaid fix if your easy on the jeep you don't need it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	180767
                      Jason De Monto
                      Trail Concepts
                      480-788-7245
                      2015 Jeep Rubicon
                      Baja Yellow
                      Dual Sport 106

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post
                        We run 4.10's with true 37's all the time just add 4.5" rear bumps. Since your running closer to a true 35 your just fine. Sleeving the front axle is a bandaid fix if your easy on the jeep you don't need it.

[ATTACH]14672[/ATTACH]
                        That looks great - is that in Sedona?
                        Rent a Ducati in Denver in the summer! www.RentYourAdventure.com
                        Rent a Yukon Denali XL in Denver in the winter! https://turo.com/suv-rental/denver/gmc-yukon-xl/130016

2012 JKUR - 3.5" AEV, 37" KO2, JW Speaker Evo 2/6145 fogs/279J tails, ARB bumper, Superwinch, Teraflex HD tire carrier, AEV diff cover

Comment

Originally posted by QUIKSILVERZ View Post
                          [ATTACH]14671[/ATTACH]

I saw this jeep at the offroad expo a few weeks ago. Just to give you an idea of what a 2.5" lift, 37" KO2 tires and fenders look like.
                          Very Nice.
                          I just wish the AEV front Bumper wouldn't look funny with high cut fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdemonto View Post

[ATTACH]14672[/ATTACH]
                            I'm most likely going to be running light 35s (BFG). I'm pretty easy on things in that I avoid wheel spin, never bounce and keep it as fast as necessary. I've seen too my front diffs blow on the trail hours from anything. So a breakdown where I like to go would mean really long walk to pavement. But I also believe in building your rig with 50% reserve capability for those uh oh moments.

But I talked to AEV about it awhile back. They said they don't do anything to the Dana 44s for 35s on their turnkey builds. I figure for $120 and a couple hours of work, sleeves couldn't hurt. I was going to get some LCA mount skids welded up anyway, so might as well weld in some C-gussets at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverDucati View Post
                              That looks great - is that in Sedona?
                              Lol no Moab ejs

Jason
                              Jason De Monto
                              Trail Concepts
                              480-788-7245
                              2015 Jeep Rubicon
                              Baja Yellow
                              Dual Sport 106